Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for my 1st balsa plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Suggestions for my 1st balsa plane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
JeremySutton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for my 1st balsa plane?

Howdy folks,

Currently flying a Copperhead Aviation Extra Stiffy / Hacker 20-20L / Phoenix 25 esc / Thunder Power 3s 2100mah. Fun plane, but I feel confident that I can finally fly a balsa plane and not have a hangar filled with foamies. Did some research when still living in a glow-friendly community and selected the Hangar 9 Pulse XT PNP. I was really excited about the plane. Then I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area and the closest glow-friendly field is a 40 minute drive . . . guess what I've decided to stick with electric. BUT electric large planes cost a lot.

I want a plane that has no bad habits and performs well. I want it to perform like a BIG plane and handle 15 mph winds. I am an intermediate pilot and looking to go to the next level. I am sport flyer, but am also open to 3D capabilities, which I will use my foamie to learn on.

The answer to the question you are all asking is . . . $250 total is my budget (had a 2nd child 6 weeks ago so the budget has decreased) for a PNP and to plug in a Hitec receiver for my 5-channel transmitter. I already have a Cellpro 4 balance charger.

I am open to getting a PNP or even building a plane (I am doing my 1st scratch build as I type this). I really like the StevensAero G300, because it can share my LiPo batt or even use my full set-up from my foamie if need be or I can buy the combo set-up. I know there is the Mini XT and a lot of minis out there. I want around a 40-45" wingspan.

What suggestions do you guys have?

Jeremy
Old 05-02-2010, 10:57 AM
fmw

Default RE: Suggestions for my 1st balsa plane?

Well you said you like the Pulse.    I think it is the prettiest plane in my hangar
Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
ChillPhatCat

Default RE: Suggestions for my 1st balsa plane?

My largest electric is a GP Sportster EP. I bought it about 4 years ago when it was still running a 550 brushed motor as the stock power plant. It was a realistic flying plane on that setup, but not all that exciting.

Recently I upgraded it with a 470W brushless from Hobby King with a 40 Amp speed control and a 3s1p 2200mah lipo and a 750mah onboard pack (no bec). I've seen that the Sportster can be bought without a motor now, which is awesome. My Sportster is AUW at 42 ounces and vertical performance is unlimited on a 10x7 prop with about a 60 MPH top speed. It will go for about 7-8 minutes with fairly spirited flying and probably could do 10 minutes at half throttle. I'm sure it can be done for under $250 if you get a power package from one of the Chinese suppliers. IMO every sport flyer should have a Sportster in their stable, it's a timeless design and has proven itself as a very solid performer for decades.