Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NitroPlanes - MQ-9 REAPER

I think you are underestimating the bonding power of epoxy. Although it might seem the epoxy is being "wiped clean" as you slide the 1/4" tube through, enough is left to bond.And bond it will.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wordy is correct about the power of epoxy. I do suggest to roughen up any surface that you want to epoxy
    because it does add to the strength of the finished joint.

I am confident that you will be pleased with your Spektrum Tx and Rx for the Reaper or any other plane
    that you may have or want. In addition, with respect to electronics, I have always had great success with
    CastleESC's and CCBEC, E-flite Power Series, AXI, AMMO,Hacker and Monster Powerbrushless motors,
    JR, Spektrum, Hitec servos and Enerland, Thunder Power, FMA Li-Po packs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for info. Ihave been searching literally every distributor for an electronic/motor package and have decided to go witha .32 42-50-800 rim fire motor for the reaper.I am leaning towards a flight power EON 3350mah 30 c 11.1 v battery, and a 60 amp esc silver series. Ihave until tomorrow morning to make a final decision, or Ilose the contract... what a wonderful job...gettingpayed to build andfly these planesfor a client.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Annnndddddd...Of course they are out of stock like everything else always is.
    Back Roads Outlaws Revver #165

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have 9 flights on my Reaper. It is not an easy star, but I find it manageable. I have never felt the need to use flaps so they have not been deployed for landing ( on the second flight they were deployed to check for adverse roll, but not used for landing). I am using an AXI 2826/12 motor with a 40A speed control, 2 4S 2100 batteries in parallel. I use a 3 blade  12X6 prop in a tru-turn spinner. The thing blasts off the ground and I usually throttle back to 50% on recent flights. My speed control is back by the motor. I ran a 24" extension with deans connector at both ends and have had no problems. after a 9 minute flight my batteries are nice and cool as is the speed control and motor. On the last flight I let my 15 year old son fly it and he landed like he lands his Extra 300. the rudder got bent over but it is an easy fix. It slows down fast when you cut the throttle. Don't be afraid to fly the plane, it really is fun to fly and everyone loves it! it just requires adaptation to its unique flying qualities. Watch the crosswind landings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I looked for the specson the AXI 28- motor, but gave up. Who makes that model?Iordered the Rimfire .36 42-50-800; the 60a platinumesc; and got a flight-power EON X 30c 3s 11.1 5000 mah battery. Plus all the odds and ends. That is for the reaper,which I haven't begun to construct...I am working on the predator first. I wont bore anyone w/ the package I intend to putinto that experiment.

I do want to point out thatduring the past week and a half,I have seen a many number of personal suggestions (including pics, illustrations,video's etc.) on how to best build the reaper and predator. This forum and various others have made my two projects more discernable. I take the advise of some, and toss some aside as inferior. Onething I have noticed more than any other is everyone tends to start off planning on minimal weight, but astime goes by, (some pictures later) I seewhere the modeler is crammingeverything butthe kitchen sink in the bird. Things getpacked sotight, some are strappingbatteriesinside (and at the top) of the front canopy - making it top-heavy...to either side of the fuslage insteadof dead center...this has got to be some of the reason why these planes aretipping in left or right stalls. And when that happens, the weight of the batteries (centrifical force out of control) prevent a pusher thruster to regain equalibrium. If the batteries are centered directly down the middle of the fuslage, your less likely to tip.
    Furthermore, I've seen many who are cutting out the bottoms ofthe fuslage to gain acceess to the centerfuse, but I am seriously considering cutting out the battery and servo trays to gainentrance into thegut of the model, then scabbing (epoxy) everything back in. While I am at it, I think I'll drop the battery tray down a half inch or so, and back towardsthe CG. an inch. That certainly is a better concept than hot glueinghalf a pound of batteries against the top of the dome. Reminds me of that cheap car Yugo, that was rolling over on exit ramps killing folks, due to it being "top heavy".
    I'll then re-examine the weight distro andget the CG right at that point.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: WordyBirdy

I looked for the specson the AXI 28- motor, but gave up. Who makes that model? .....
    AXI makes it and is distributed through varoius outlets. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless_axi2826.htm

Specification
    No. of cells 10 - 18
    3 - 5 Li-Poly
    RPM/V 760 RMP/V
    Max. efficiency 84%
    Max. efficiency current 15 - 25 A (>78%)
    No load current / 10 V 1,3 A
    Current capacity 37 A/60 s
    Internal Resistance 62 mohm
    Dimensions (diameter. x lenght) 35x54 mm
    Shaft diameter 5 mm
    Weight with cables 181 g

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only issue with Hobby Lobby is that it is out of stock. I have had it on order there since 2 Sept. still waiting.

PT
    PT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's an alternative source, if still interested (they also have a 2826-10, if you prefer that over the -12):
    http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...2-262p5231.htm
    MadMan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess the e-flite 32 is a pretty close competitor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These are all good motors! Like the Chief, I plan to use the Power 32 as I have one already and it's
    size fits perfectly under the rear bulkhead in order to allow mounting. I also tried the Power 46, but
    it was too big to fit in that area. I really did not want to get involved in a mod of the "firewall"
    especially a pusher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw66752.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	1524665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm38393.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	1524666  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PaPajef,
    I see you are online.

I'm in final stage of getting ailerons-flaps hooked up to servos. The step I'm having issues with is which hole to put the swing arm (connection between servo arm and horn on flap).
    Also, from an eariler post you show the flap horn set very close to hinge edge. In order to do that did you have to cut the mini rod connectors? If I screw then enough to adjust properly the rods press all the way to end of travel and restrict movement of servo parts.

And, lastly, (I'm winging it here) I installed the servos with the horn straight up or at about 50% of its potential travel. I'm trusting the controller will allow me to retrict movement because there is not enough room to do a full action as it will crush the cover.

Details, details, details...

ken wood

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

My linkage was the correct size and I just adjusted the final length by twisting the clevis on the control
    rod threaded ends. The servo should be centered first with a servo adjuster and then attach the servo
    arm in the proper position, as you stated at 50% of travel. In addition, I did have to extend the slot in the
    servo cover to allow the servo arm to travel it's full arc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Papa Jeff,
    Again, thanks for the info that you generously post...your instructions and hands-on advise is thankfully, "world-wide-web".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here we go !! I just got my MQ-9 REAPER plane and this is my first rc ever. i have no idea what i am doing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mine came with the rods rusting. other than that is awesome, some fiver still sticking up from inside the cam area.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I lopped off 100 grams of wieght by replacing metal rod for wings with a carbon fiber rod that I got for pretty cheap from a kite building store. The URL is on my office PC and I can't remember it.
    I've done an unscientific test to see if it bends any more than the steel rod. I 'd say they are about the same.

On the antena tube I have a question: I bought some antena wire but don't know quite how to use it. As there are 2 wires on receiver do I add wire to both leads and string them both through the wite tube? Or?

Thanks in advance...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First for me too! More credit care than sense...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Moving ahead at snails pace I have finally installed my Robart Strut as replacement for the Reaper kit provides nose gear. It looks much more realistic and I don't have the adhesive issues that another builder has had.
    Cost me $51 delivered so not too bad.

If any one wishes to do the same here is what I learned on installion;

Reaper instructions give no clue as to what the length of the nose gear should be. I proped up fuse to what I thought looked good based upon pictures of real Reaper on runway. I chose 6.5".
    I figured in the kit supplied collar and cut the Robart Strut to 6-1/4". I would not use that length if I do over as it is not quite long enough to house the Strut insert. So, make it 6-1/2".
    You have to install insert and then drill 2 #43 holes for set screws.
    I am only using one set screw and it seems pretty strong. I may add another on oposite side of strut tube.
    The Strut insert is a little large so I would recommend filing it down a bit so you don't have to work so hard to insert.
    The Robart Strut wheel axle is a bit larger than the kit wheel allows. i drilled out and am not happy with result. I will buy a bit larger wheel that will allow this axle to fit.
    Here a photos of how it looks...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can you please post the web address or the info where you get this from? thanks

It looks awesome.

I am going to start buliding mine as soon as i get the carbon rod, Not till then.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.robart.com/gear-finder

Robart sells to just about every RC dealer there is. I guess just do a search at your favorite: Robert Strut it is the 3/8' model. Exact info is in my office; it was
    $51 include ship. I'll re email you in AM

Also, Carbon fiber rod: KiteBuilder.com I bought 1 1/4 X 48" for $6 plus $9 ship. I had them cut it down to 2 X 24" so it was easier to ship.
    Also2, with the extra 24" pieceI replaced the 2 aluminum pieces for the Vtail attachment. I still have some left over. Save for next project.

kaw

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info. I'll see whats the rods looks like when I get it then I'll see if I get a second Reaper. The next one will be fully loaded with FVP and cameras.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

is this the same one you got?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXES74&P=0
    thats the only one i found that looks like yours.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This just in:

I have installed just one of the four servo kit provided linkages to one of the ailerons.  If you follow the plans provided you are supposed to use the 2mm screws and drill through the aileron using the provided part to secure the horn to aileron. Well, when it is done this way it totally destroys the look of the  wings from the top view. The chunk white plastic just looks bad.

Does anyone have a better way of installing the horn to the aileron?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pics please! and what servos you going to use for that?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast