Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

NitroPlanes - MQ-9 REAPER

Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM
DaveJohansen
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NitroPlanes - MQ-9 REAPER

bump for above post
Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Dave, unless something changed in the kit, the originals used a solid steel bar for the wing spar, and much smaller diameter and length rods for the V tails.

Quite a few replaced the steel bar with a CF tube for the weight savings.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 PM
DaveJohansen
My Feedback: (8)

No steel rod in this kit, just the 1 long 6mm carbon fiber rod. It much longer than want's needed for the elevators. Thanks for the reply, I have found some more 6mm rod to use for them.

Dave
Old 07-22-2012, 06:22 AM
dhpilot

Dave,

There were different versions of this CMP MQ-9 Reaper kit sold.
V1 came with a steel bar for the wing spar.
V2 came with the carbon rod. There were aluminum and carbon tubes for the V tail spars

I have built the V2 and wanted to beef up the wing supports.
I chose 2x12mm carbon bar to go completely through the fuselage instead of gluing in the
short aluminum bars for the wing attachment. That gave me more peace of mind after watching some of the video's.
Some looked like ornithopters in the air! Wings just flapping and the fuse undulating... eventually just dropping out of the sky.
I personally would like to see an 8mm carbon rod a foot longer in the wing. A hint for the carbon rod in the wing. Identify the spline in the carbon and place it up to give the most resistance against lift. This resulted in some anhedral while on the ground but should result in a more stable wing attitude in the air.
I posted a pic of my turret solution. Very simple. a piece of carbon rod, 2 wheel collars and 2 supports. I also built a hinged battery tray for access to camera and turret underneath. More pics upon request.
I also modded the nose gear. Wanted it back a little farther with more forward sweep to at least be a little closer to scale.

Hope this helps!
By the way, the plane pictured is for sale. Completely built with detachable wings. Never flown airframe only. On the Eastern Shore of Md.

DH
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24374.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1784443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp45994.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1784444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23421.jpg
Views:	1571
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1784445  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Charliechan

Hello to all, received my M9 kit today and plan to spend days reading all postings and then start the build. I look forward to the benefit from all the builders before me and now that I found this forum I am not as worried as before.....Chan
Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Shoestring1958

How are you coming along on youre's?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Shoestring1958

Is anyone still building the Projet MQ9 Reaper from nitroplanes?
Old 07-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Paul60

I just ordered one on Ebay.

Looks like I will soon revive this old thread.

Why do I always buy planes years after everyone else has already been there, done that, bulit & crashed em years ago ???
Old 07-05-2014, 02:10 AM
Shoestring1958

Just do the mods to the wings and it will be great
Old 07-05-2014, 02:51 AM
Paul60

Originally Posted by Shoestring1958
Just do the mods to the wings and it will be great
Thanks for the tip!

Looks such a nice plane. I tried to buy one from Nitro Planes a couple of years back but they were always out of stock.

Finally spotted one on Ebay & my interest was re kindled.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:21 AM
Shoestring1958

Awesome, it can be a good plane. If it has not been done yet. Add Carbon fiber to the wings. the wings are the weak point.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Paul60

Thanks Shoestring

Are there any guides as to how people have gone about these carbon wing mods ?

I'll have another read through this thread.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:37 AM
Paul60

Has anyone thought of using white PVA (wood glue) on the hinges instead of CA ?

I have used PVA with great success on my large warbirds (plastic robart style hinges into balsa).

You get plenty of time to position things correctly, easy cleanup with a damp cloth and they ain't going anywhere.

You will tear the wood before the hinge comes loose!

Although I always thought that was odd as the plastic robart style hinges are a somewhat 'waxy' plastic.

Ah well, it certainly works.

Last edited by Paul60; 07-06-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Dancy
My Feedback: (6)

I would like to purchase one of these models if anyone has one for sale. I am looking for a kit or partially assembled one. I do not need any R/C gear nor motors ( I have tons of that! lol!)

If you have one you haven't gotten around to building or one you have grown tired of flying, let me know.

Thank you!
Dan
Old 12-30-2023, 01:27 PM
RedZone

Default CG Question

Originally Posted by dhpilot
Dave,

There were different versions of this CMP MQ-9 Reaper kit sold.
V1 came with a steel bar for the wing spar.
V2 came with the carbon rod. There were aluminum and carbon tubes for the V tail spars

I have built the V2 and wanted to beef up the wing supports.
I chose 2x12mm carbon bar to go completely through the fuselage instead of gluing in the
short aluminum bars for the wing attachment. That gave me more peace of mind after watching some of the video's.
Some looked like ornithopters in the air! Wings just flapping and the fuse undulating... eventually just dropping out of the sky.
I personally would like to see an 8mm carbon rod a foot longer in the wing. A hint for the carbon rod in the wing. Identify the spline in the carbon and place it up to give the most resistance against lift. This resulted in some anhedral while on the ground but should result in a more stable wing attitude in the air.
I posted a pic of my turret solution. Very simple. a piece of carbon rod, 2 wheel collars and 2 supports. I also built a hinged battery tray for access to camera and turret underneath. More pics upon request.
I also modded the nose gear. Wanted it back a little farther with more forward sweep to at least be a little closer to scale.

Hope this helps!
By the way, the plane pictured is for sale. Completely built with detachable wings. Never flown airframe only. On the Eastern Shore of Md.

DH
Just finished building a kit that I was able to find. Don't have the Nitroplanes manual. What are y'all finding to be the right CG and what flap settings work best?