Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

NitroPlanes - MQ-9 REAPER

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 PM
papajeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NitroPlanes - MQ-9 REAPER

With the popularity of the original NitroPlanes Predator UAV, now, since the "new" MQ-9 Reaper is in stock
at Nitro......it only made sense to start this new build thread. This way, the original Predator thread can
retain it's independence and continue. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5826832/tm.htm

Mine should arrive any day now andI understand that several other contributors have already ordered
their Reapers, so this thread should be as interesting as the original Predator!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:38 AM
rjmanzuk

Default RE: NitroPlanes - MQ-9 REAPER

So have you decided yet just which motor, ESC, battery, prop, and servos you will use? Will you be making your own cabling extensions, or are there some long-enough ones available on the open market?

Ever considered putting on retractable LG? Flaps?

Will yours have an onboard camera? If so, will you transmit video from the bird to your laptop while in flight?

I'm expecting mine in a day or so ... and as a retiree of GA-ASI, I'm pretty excited about this one, which the kids just bought me for my 70th birthday.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 AM
papajeff

MadMan,

I have a basic idea of the electronics and power system that I expect to use on the Reaper build,
but I'm going to wait till mine arrives to see what might be recommended. For now, my plan is
to use; Spektrum Tx & Rx, Hitec servos, Castle Creations ESC/CCBEC, APC prop.

BTW, Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!! I am just a few years behind you.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 PM
kythes

Gents!
I Pre ordered my MQ-9 back in march, called today to find out what was going on with the pre orders. Was toll they would be shipping soon but tonight I received an Email that they are on back ordered and 8 weeks out. I have no Idea what the hell is going on down there. If any of you gents hear anything let us know.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 PM
papajeff

Well, the latest info on the new NitroModels Reaper is that in just two days, the first stock
of them has sold out. Thatmeansover 100 Reapers sold out in record time and I don't
think that anyone anticipatedthis would ever happen so fast. The next shipment should
be available in about three weeks, whichis what I have been told by NitroStaff 1, who is the
Nitro Rep & Moderator of the Nitro forum on RC Universe. If you would like to make any
comments about thenew compositReaper, you can go to; http://www.facebook.com/nitroplanes

Nitro has informed me that they have substantially increased the quantity for the next shipment
and should be able to satisfy all of the Reaper orders. I did receive one of the first Reapers, only
because of the popularity of the original Predator build thread;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5826832/tm.htm
and this new Reaper thread. I plan to start immediately and when some of you get yours,
please jump in and post.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:41 AM
chrishornby

Hi Jeff, I have re-ordered but now they are out of stock. They cant ship to the Uk apparently so I am shipping it to my brother who will fedex it to me. Can't wait...
Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 AM
NewFlyingMan
My Feedback: (24)

Hey everyone,

I was one of the lucky ones that got the MQ-9 during the first round. I started a build thread for everyone to post tips/tricks concerning their experiencing building this model since the instructions are sparse and somethings are adding up just right. But the catch is, it is at rcgroups.com. Here is the thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1237390
Old 05-03-2010, 07:49 AM
papajeff

It's always good to have many different perspectives on the build of any RC model. This gives
us the opportunity to pick and choose which applications we want to use for our "special"
build that makes each of our models uniquelyours, right? So, let's get this show on the
road!

NitroPlanes MQ-9 Reaper ARF

"The most realistic UAV Predator in the history of radio control airplanes." Well, that's
what ProJet states on the box of NitroPlanes new MQ-9 Reaper. I can tell you that from
what I can see upon opening this recently arrivedbox, they may be very accurate in their
statement.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:38 PM
papajeff

The all fiberglass fuselage with the canopy, rear cowl, camera dome and minature radar dome sure looks
just like a miniature Reaper UAV. The wings, "V" elevators and downward facing rudder are the typical balsa
frame construction and covered with a well made and perfectly colored-matched covering material, which I
thought was also fiberglass as it looked so good. This model is certainly going to create lots of attention at
this seasons events and shows.

KEYFEATURES:
- Totally realistic scale-like Reaper/Predator UAVdesign
- Molded fiberglass fuselage and built-up balsa wing construction
- Quick access, magnetic canopy hatch
- Quick access, magnetic rear motor cowl
- Steerable nose wheel with plastic "oleo" strut cover
- Fiberglass main gear legs
- Full aileron, flaps, elevator & rudder control

SPECIFICATIONS:
- Wingspan..............................98.43"(2500mm)
- Length....................................42.50"(1080mm)
- Wing Area..............................510 sq. in.(32.5 sq. dm.)
- Weight....................................5.75 lbs. (2600g)
- Flying Weight........................7.00 lbs. (3175g)
- Airfoil......................................Epple r 374 Modify
- Radio.....................................4-5 Channel
- Servos....................................4-6
- Motor...................................... 800w outrunner
- Prop........................................2 Blade 11x6 - 12x8 or 3 Blade 10x6 - 11x6
- ESC.........................................60-80A
- Battery.....................................4S 4000mAh minimum

Old 05-03-2010, 09:33 PM
papajeff

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23855.jpg
Views:	4194
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1430368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40893.jpg
Views:	4865
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1430369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78133.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	1430370  
Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 PM
papajeff

I was really pleased to see that the fiberglass fuselage was very well made, yet light andthe
interior formerswere properly glued in place. The canopy and the rear motor cowl, also
fiberglass,wasan exact fit and the pre-painted exterior colormatched onall pieces. The
covering on the wings, elevators and rudder lookedto be of excellent quality and matched
thecolor of the fiberglass parts perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21084.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1430395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77118.jpg
Views:	2467
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1430396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28404.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1430397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82138.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1430398  
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
crustychief

I ordered mine in March and got an e-mail saying the new EST ship date is 30 June!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 AM
NewFlyingMan

That's weird. That definitely should have been early enough. I ordered mine in April. I think they sold out of those on April 27th, a day after they became available,and now they are not even showing as a back order item, but just out of stock.

There is someone selling one at a bit of a premium on rcgroups.com: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1237919, but someone may be working on the purchase as we speak.

I hate waiting too, but you won't be disappointed. It is a fabulous model.

I started a build thread on rcgroups.com that seems to have taken some interest. Might interest you and give you some things to think about while you are in a holding pattern. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1237390.

Good luck.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
crustychief

ORIGINAL: NewFlyingMan

That's weird. That definitely should have been early enough. I ordered mine in April. I think they sold out of those on April 27th, a day after they became available,and now they are not even showing as a back order item, but just out of stock.
I received a shipping notice from UPSon the 27th of March saying they received billing information and the scheduled delivery date of 28 March. I guess they did not receive the actual product from Nitroplanes.

Sorry about the near hijack, I am enjoying your build.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:32 PM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: crustychief

ORIGINAL: NewFlyingMan

I received a shipping notice from UPSon the 27th of March saying they received billing information and the scheduled delivery date of 28 March. I guess they did not receive the actual product from Nitroplanes.

Sorry about the near hijack, I am enjoying your build.

Chief,

I don't think that you are so crusty! LOL Hey, see post #5 above, and I know that Nitro
is trying to get a gross more of the Reapers delivered to them in about 3 weeks. They
sure underestimated the popularity that the new Reaper would have and to sell out of 100
of them in only two days, sure sent them a message! Hopefully, they will remember this
with most of their future ordering. We shall see. When I get any updates on this situation,
I will be sure to post them here.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 PM
rjmanzuk

So, papaJeff ... have you made your landing gear decision yet? I'm exploring all-electric retracts (i.e. no air bottles) but am having a little difficulty findg some that are strong enough for a bird of this weight. Most affordable ones I've found seem to be limited o a 4.5 lb bird. By the time I get my camera and downlink transmitter in my Reaper, I'm going to be pushing 7 lbs, I think.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 PM
kythes

I still think its crapy, I pre ordered the day it hit the web site. Not sure why I got passed up, when they came in? It kills me, I even bought every thing you need to get it Fly'n, plus a UAV video camera. So here I am on the side lines, watching every one start to put theres together. Now I hear some one is selling theres. what the @#$%^!!!!!

well at least I'll have good people to ask my questions too about there builds
Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 PM
NewFlyingMan

ORIGINAL: rjmanzuk

So, papaJeff ... have you made your landing gear decision yet? I'm exploring all-electric retracts (i.e. no air bottles) but am having a little difficulty findg some that are strong enough for a bird of this weight. Most affordable ones I've found seem to be limited o a 4.5 lb bird. By the time I get my camera and downlink transmitter in my Reaper, I'm going to be pushing 7 lbs, I think.
Trader! How dare you post on another site's forum. Oh wait, I did too..

NewEMan
Old 05-07-2010, 11:04 AM
papajeff

Hey E-Man,

This site........that site......your site.......my site.......WHO cares????????RCU & RCGare good for
our great Hobby and each have their advantages that we (the Hobbyist) can benefit from. So, both
of us are doing a Reaper build on different sites and that's OK because those Hobbyists who are
interested can get a few, or more, different concepts and ideas about the build.This may be just
an "OLDDOG" Grandpa'sthought on the subject, but to me it's a win/win for everybody!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:11 AM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: rjmanzuk

MadMan,

I am inclined to stay with the standard provided gear, at least for the final review and then
explore the option of electric retracts. There are several that I would consider, such as;

1) RC Lander - http://www.rclander.com/default.aspx...1-142b2a9e8c81

2) Sonic - http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...egory_Code=NEW

3) Hobby TopGun (FlyFly) - http://www.hobbytopgun.com/PC/retract.htm
Old 05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: kythes

I still think its crapy, I pre ordered the day it hit the web site. Not sure why I got passed up, when they came in? It kills me, I even bought every thing you need to get it Fly'n, plus a UAV video camera. So here I am on the side lines, watching every one start to put theres together. Now I hear some one is selling theres. what the @#$%^!!!!!

well at least I'll have good people to ask my questions too about there builds
Kythes,

I don't get it either, but you could go to the Nitro facebook page and post a question.
http://www.facebook.com/nitroplanes
Old 05-07-2010, 12:39 PM
rjmanzuk

I've looked at these and a couple of others, but they all seem so short compared to what we need with this bird to get adequate prop clearance. I wonder if we put leg-extensions on these OEM mechanisms if they would structurally endure. ANYONE have some experience with any of these in making them "taller"?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:39 PM
NewFlyingMan

PapaJeff,

It was just playful banter. rjmanzuk has given me quiet a bit of advice on rcgroups.com. As well, I have other threads going on others sites related to the MQ-9.

All in good fun. That's what I see forums as, a place to learn "and" have fun.

NewFlyingMan aka NewEMan
Old 05-07-2010, 05:18 PM
papajeff

E-Man,

I like your style and you have the correct perspective on "just having fun,"with the added benefit
of also learning from each other. That's what it's all about. It's just too bad that Nitro did not order
250 Reapers to start with, right???? Well, hopefully many more will be available by the end of the
month.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:47 PM
NewFlyingMan

Who knows. The late and/or postponed shipments may be a blessing in disguise for some. They'll get to watch us make all the mistakes or come up with novel solutionsand benefit from it.

Just as difficult as it is for the others to wait, it is equally risky for us...because their are "noooo" spare parts, like some of NPsother kits,if something goes wrong, i.e. like what could have happenedwhen my wife decided to lay my wings on the floor of the garage because they were in her way. Guess I should not have used the rolling laundry hamper as a work bench/storage. Is was by my work bench. Isn't there some rule about the proximity of things to the workbench?

I stand by my position though, I think she was more wrong than I was. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...until she tells me otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.