Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Watt-age Giles 202 Battery Location

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Watt-age Giles 202 Battery Location

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 02:44 AM
doenges

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watt-age Giles 202 Battery Location

I have a dilemma: I can either put the wing on w/out the battery or I can put the battery in and not attach the wing. To fly you need both!

I am using the Hitec HS81 servos instead of the mfr. recommend HS55s. This gives more torque ans was recommended by my LHS where I bought it all. The battery packs (2) that I bought are 7 cell Sanyo 1300. The packs are quite long because the cells are lined up side-by-side, like little barrels lined up and ready to roll of the table.

The battery when put in the plane in the furthest forward position hits the top of the servo. Even if this was doable, the CG is then way to far forward.

What can I do? after spending $80 on the batteries, I do not want to buy new ones. I suppose I could rebuild the pack into a twin style or offset style. I could lower the servo by building a new servo tray in the wing, but he servo would stick out the bottom of the plane.

Has anyone else run into this problem and what have you done?

Thanks
Dan
Old 07-21-2003, 04:43 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi

most planes need some modifications to fit the battery pack choosen. can you take some pix of the "problem"?
Old 07-22-2003, 02:47 AM
doenges

Default Photos

Please view my photos on my gallary. I was not sure how to insert multiple pix in a reply.

Thanks
Dan
Old 09-05-2003, 03:09 PM
tman52748
My Feedback: (1)

Default wattage giles, 300 or cap 232

doenges,

I was just thinking about picking up one of the wattage planes,
do you like it other than the battery problem? Are you using the stoke motor? I was thinking about ordering the Cap 232.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:32 PM
doenges

I do not have an opinion about the airplane yet. I have NEVER flown it.

The battery problem has been worked out. You need to have the battery be 7 cells, stacked end to end three high and two deep with one cell on the end. I had to break apart my packs and re solder. Still waiting on the right sized shrink tube to put the finishing touches on. You can order the correct battery from global hobbies (I did that too), but they are out of stick. Been that way for at least 3 weeks.

Also, I was fighting a bad speed control. It would cut out on me at about every load. Sent back to mfr, but the returned it saying that it was fine. Bought new speed control (different mfr.) and it works fine. Went another round with the mfr. that returned the first speed controller back to me and he agreed to send me a new one.

I've put a lot of money into this plane and buying the GP Triton Charger, and a Supoer What Meter.

I think I am going to get rid of the Supoer Cobalt 400 motor and put in a brushless Astro 20 in.

I am planning on doing the first flight this weekend and will let you kno how it flies.

Dan
Old 09-16-2003, 06:29 PM
torquerolln

Default RE: Watt-age Giles 202 Battery Location

I had a Wattage Crazy 8 with a 15-4 and was way overpowered and it was hard to control, just try not to overpower it.