Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Not impressed with Great Planes Ultimate EP.....

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Not impressed with Great Planes Ultimate EP.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 PM
cloud_master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not impressed with Great Planes Ultimate EP.....

Just took up the Ultimate for it's maiden voyage tonight. It has the stock recommended hardware from the first release. I flew it with a 2200Mah 25c 11.1v and the recommended RimFire 35-30-950kv. I also used the recommened APC SF11X3.8. I don't know if it's the prop, but this thing was a dog. Way too much engine braking when pulling the power back (I have the esc brake off) and not enough grunt at full power. I am going to try a regular electric APC 10X5 and see how it performs. I will also loose a little weight and try the recommended 20C 2100Mah next after the prop. Anyone have any experience rigging this plane for someone that is used to a little performance?

My other plane is the Patty Wagstaff 1/4 EX-300 with a G-45. I've mostly flown giant scale aerobats until my buddy got me into electrics. I don't mind the electrics, but i want it to perform. I see the new kits of the EP Ultimate have gone to the new .10 Rimfire, which is a 1250KV. That may be the ultimate answer (no pun intended), but i'd like to see if I can get my current hardware to perform better. Thanks for any input........

Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Not impressed with Great Planes Ultimate EP.....

The only thing you're going to save by going to a 20C battery is a small amount of weight, MAYBE.

All things being equal, the 25C battery will spin the motor faster, due to its ability to hold a higher voltage under load. Odds are going to the 20C, performance will be worse.

Without changing anything else, the best way to get more power is a larger, or higher-pitched prop. The key is to not go too big, or you will overload the motor, ESC, and/or battery.

After that it's a matter of whether you want to buy a new motor or a new battery. A motor with a higher Kv rating will spin the prop faster and provide more power.

Alternatively, a higher-voltage (i.e. 4S) battery will also provide an increase in power. However, it will also increase weight more than a motor upgrade, and will require you to add an external BEC to the system.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:58 PM
cloud_master

Default RE: Not impressed with Great Planes Ultimate EP.....

I picked up a couple new props today. A 10X5E, 10X7E, and a 11X5.5E. I checked the amp draw on all the props, and the 11X5.5E was holding about 18 amps. This was with the 2200mah 25C. The 10" props were 3 amps less. I may try an 11X7E if i can get one. Also, my buddy wants me to try a Hyperion 1800Mah 35C. He thinks that will do the trick. I don't know how many more amps will be drawn, but I believe the motor is good for 20amps continous........