Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Mini Ultra Stick

Old 11-09-2005, 04:21 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mini Ultra Stick

I just saw the add for the Mini Ultra Stick in FLY RC. It looks like fun.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:31 PM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Ultra Stick

I have one of the E-flite mini Ultra Sticks on order through my LHS and was wondering if I could get some good advise on set-up. I've only done a couple, mini funtana and Lil Rascal, I didn't impress myself[&o]

I was thinking: This plane must rock! Not 3D, but hoover at 1/2 throttle and rocket out
Castle Creations Brushless 25A Speed control
Brushless Outrunner; AXI2808/16 ?? Park 480 E-Flie ?? Himax 2816 ??
Thunder Power 3-cell 2100mah

HELP[&o]
Old 11-20-2005, 10:01 AM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

Horizon has all the information.22~25 oz--basically same set up as the Mini edge,or Funtanna
part # EFL2250
Old 12-02-2005, 11:28 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

I didn't want to wait so I'm throwing together a HOB Cheapass Lazer stick[sm=lol.gif] I'll be using an AXi 2212/20[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] This is a "fall together" kit that's designed to interlock and line up without plans[sm=idea.gif]I'll also be able to change some things and make it lighter[sm=punching.gif]I just went to the Horizon site. NOW they say the mini Ultra Stick wont be available until mid January. The way they keep changing the release date, you guys will be lucky to have the plane ready by next spring.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:49 PM
dribbe

Dear GWR,
The Horizon site 'estimate' is currently saying Early January.... However, I still expect it to be the later half of December.
Spring....., I don't think so.

Have Fun!
David
Old 12-03-2005, 03:04 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

My point was that this is the second or third time the release date changed[:@]It seems the entire industry is doing this, advertising new stuff months before we see them[:'(]
Old 12-03-2005, 02:18 PM
dribbe

ORIGINAL: GWR

My point was that this is the second or third time the release date changed[:@]It seems the entire industry is doing this, advertising new stuff months before we see them[:'(]
GWR,

This is not really true. The date on the Web site may have changed once, but we are still holding the launch window per the ORIGINAL date we announced at the LA show.
The computer estimator does have a habit of changing this sometimes, and often, we in product development do not understand why... and yes, we are trying to get that system changed.

In any case, EFL has had a few products slip, but MOST of our releases in the last 6 months have been within a couple of weeks of the announced date. (We would always slip a date before we shipped a product we were not satisfied with, and occasionally, issues do creep up.)

Ussually, the products do get announced a couple of months ahead of release. This allows the retailers to plan! It is standard operating proceedure, and very normal for all kinds of products.

Thanks for your understanding.
Have fun,
David
Old 12-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Bevo

I was on Horizon's website last night and it looks like the LHS could have them in time for Christmas. I looked at the manual online and it looks like a quick build. The elevator and rudder are bolted on so there is no glue needed. Plus this little airplane has flaps if you want them. The park 450, 3 cell 2100, s75 or hitec 55 servos, eflite 20 or phoenix 25 seems to be the setup that will give this plane the best performance. Also the himax 2816-1220 would work if you are a pilot that wants endless vertical.

Bevo
Old 12-17-2005, 02:25 PM
twmoody

I actually picked mine up at my LHS Thursday. One of the nicest ARFs I have ever seen. It doesn't come with a brush motor and gearbox for me to throw away, YAH! Way to go Horizon/E-flite.

Tom Moody
Old 12-21-2005, 06:22 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

LHS got them in this week. I actually saw one fly today, these are as sweet as everyone was hoping they'd be. Kudos to Horizon Hobby for loading up their dealers before selling them directly!
Old 12-21-2005, 01:13 PM
mile hi flyer

I just got my mini Ultra Stick yesterday and had it completed that night. It is a very fast build and everything was in great condition out of the box. The covering was perfect. My only complaint was the control surfaces were very stiff. After working them back and forth a bit, they loosened up nicely. For now I'm not setting up the quad flap set up like my big US but will probably add later. I am using 4 HS-55's, an Electrifly Silver Series 25 amp controller, Park 480 outrunner w/ 10X7E APC, and TP 2100. I ran the motor and measured 16.5 amps.
Ok, I got a chance to fly this morning and this thing flies great! It balanced per the instructions with no added wt. Very short takeoff roll and in the air it went. No trim was needed at all (lucky, I guess). Did some nice smooth flying around the field at about half throttle and it was pretty quick. Throttled up and went vertical. WOW!! It climbed straight up for a while before I brought it back towards the earth. Not unlimited vertical but close. I'm going out to try it with an 11X7E APC once the batteries charge. It tracked nice on loops and it rolls pretty quick. Inverted needed a few clicks of down trim to hold level. Stalls were smooth with no bad tendencies and landings are uneventful. It landed a little fast but that was probably just me. I only did the one landing because the tail skid came off on landing. Check to make sure yours is glued on. I don't think this was. Other than that small problem, I absolutely love flying this plane. It is a great sport flying plane. Good job Horizon.

Troy
Old 12-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Picked mine up from the LHS and it all looked great until I got it home and as above the surfaces were stiff but the Elevator was stiffer still in fact no movement possible due to it being hinged to close.....bahhhh humbug
Old 12-21-2005, 10:25 PM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

I got mine yesterday and flew it today. Fast, easy build. Put an Eflite 450 outrunner on the nose and it flies great, just like a real Ultra Stick. No flaps yet but programmed in flaperons. This is one fun plane.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:04 AM
jjvanwingen

Will this plane do grass take-offs?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:02 AM
will

Yes it will.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:12 AM
skorman

With the tall landing gear, this plane was designed for grass takeoffs.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:02 PM
zzw26n

I too picked mine up the yesterday, nice covering job, hinges were all a little stiff, just work the surfaces back and forth. I ordered the Himaxx 2816-0890 Outrunner, the LHS said the would be better than the 2816- ????, the -0890 would swing a bigger prop??
Anyway, can't do anything much until the motor comes[:@]

Castle 25 AMP ESC, 3 cell 2100 Thunder Power, HS-55 all the way around, no flaps don't need the weight....

I was wondering about HS-81's for Rudder & Elevator ??? thoughts ...
Old 12-24-2005, 03:23 PM
skorman

HS-81's are too big. You'll have to do some cutting to make them fit. I used Hitec HS-56HB's for everything. Strong servos and they fit perfectly.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:52 PM
zzw26n

skorman, great idea, 56's are perfect!
Old 12-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

What prop are you going to use on the 28/16..I have one and was thinking of using it on this plane instead of the 400 with gearbox
Old 01-02-2006, 10:20 AM
zzw26n

Andy, I tried the APC E 12X8 and it was OK, sport flying. The 11X4.7 would probably be better for hovering. My 1.20 USL has a Zenoah gas engine on it and it's a great plane to learn how to hover. Get the thrust angles correct and it will lock in. I was hoping to get the same out of the mini US, that way I can walk out the basement door during the winter and practice
Old 01-04-2006, 02:04 AM
jeffmd2

I got mine just before Christmas. It builds real fast. The hinges are stiff so work them a bit. I used the E-Flite S75 servos, they are OK but a bit slow and noisy. I am using the E-Flite 450 outrunner with 2100 3s lipo's. I can easily get 30 minute flights with a mix of wild aerobatics and lazy half throttle crusing. It does touch and goes real nicely on a paved strip, I have yet to try grass takeoffs or touch and goes on grass. I really like this palne and recommend it highly for someone who is looking for a fun electric sport plane. I am using a 10-7 E APC prop, anyone try anything different on the 450?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:43 AM
skorman

After my last flight with my Mini US, I noticed one of the rudder hinges was broken. Has anyone had any trouble with the hinges on this plane? By the way, it does grass takeoffs just fine.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Heightisgood

Yup - you have to work the control surfaces for a bit to loosen them up. I also had trouble with the control rod tubes. Apparently in manufacturing the tubes get crushed when the edges are trimmed. I used an exacto to route them out so the rods would move easier. Other than that the build was a breeze...

I have a 480 outrunner, 40 amp controller, 3 cell 2100. I initially had a 12X6 prop but it seems to create too much heat ( I haven't had a chance to check the amps I'm drawing)

Any suggested configs? I'd like to get long runs but some hovering would be cool
Old 01-04-2006, 07:08 PM
dribbe

Hi,

What type of prop is your 12 x 6?
The APC 12 x 6E works just fine with a 2100 Pro-Lite battery, and a bit of throttle management.
(It definitely works the system hard, but is within limits)

David

ORIGINAL: Heightisgood

Yup - you have to work the control surfaces for a bit to loosen them up. I also had trouble with the control rod tubes. Apparently in manufacturing the tubes get crushed when the edges are trimmed. I used an exacto to route them out so the rods would move easier. Other than that the build was a breeze...

I have a 480 outrunner, 40 amp controller, 3 cell 2100. I initially had a 12X6 prop but it seems to create too much heat ( I haven't had a chance to check the amps I'm drawing)

Any suggested configs? I'd like to get long runs but some hovering would be cool

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.