Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will a bent shaft make the motor and esc run hot?

In the process of getting my Katana set up right, I noticed a slight wobble in the shaft. I did'nt catch it until after the first flight when I went to change props.This was only mild flying andI only ran the plane for about 3 minutes on the first flight and the motor and esc were too hot to touch, but the battery was'nt even warm. I have a Scorpion S3020-12 motor, Scorpion 90a esc, and I am using a Turnigy 3000mah/3s/40-50c battery with a 12x8 prop. I have checked the setup with the drive calculator and the watt meter. The system isoperating well below the 57a for the motor. Could the slightly bent shaft be the problem? Is it possible for just the prop adapter to be bent? Any ideas on what Ishould do?...................Thanx...........TD

\" If you don\'\'t like something, then change it, if you can\'\'t change it, then change your attitude\"...AMA # 920648....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Will a bent shaft make the motor and esc run hot?

Yes to both. A bend shaft will cause more heat ant current. A adapter shaft is soft and I have had numerous ones that bend on a light prop strike.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Will a bent shaft make the motor and esc run hot?

Thank you for the info. I had no idea that a slight bend would cause it to heat up like that. Between the prop adapter and shaft, I really could'nt tell which was really bent. I ordered the new shaft and prop adapter for it, but I also decided to replace the motor with the new SII3020 series motor. After a little research, I find that the shaft is not as easy to replace as some. It needs to be pressed out. So the new motor should solve my heat problem. Thanx again for the help.............
    \" If you don\'\'t like something, then change it, if you can\'\'t change it, then change your attitude\"...AMA # 920648....