Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

3D Hobbies 55" Edge 540, I LOVE IT!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

3D Hobbies 55" Edge 540, I LOVE IT!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 04:01 PM
RV8ER1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Hobbies 55" Edge 540, I LOVE IT!!

I've got about 25 flights on my Edge540 in the last 2 weeks and absolutely love it! I've tried quite a few other electric planes and found they all have some sort of acro, aerodynamic, controllability issues. I fly almost daily and have logged over 2300 flights in the last 2 years. I have found the 3D Edge to be the best all around handling machine. I power it with Rimfire 42-60-800, 14/7 Vox prop, Hobby King SS 90/100 cheapo speed control and Turnigy 4 cell 3000 Mah 40c batts. It has incredible vertical performance! All around fantastic machine!!!!! I replaced all the control surface CA hinges with dubro mechanical hinges which opened up the gaps to about 1//32" and then sealed all the gaps with monokote. That allows me to achieve almost 60 degrees of control throw which gives blinding roll rates at high speed and is controllable at very low speed. I hope this helps others in their quest to find the perfect plane!! BTW the cheepo ($23 plus shipping) Hobby King speed control works perfectly after changing the factory programming. Specs. based on the above equipment; 74 amps, 247 watts/lb, 4 lb 10oz. weight with batt.
I tend to go for max performanc with my planes and don't normally use the recommended motors. My magic number for power is the shoot for 250 watts. per pound of all up weight.
Another note, i've been using H. King batts; turnigy, rhino and flight max for 2 years and have yet to have a bad battery. I now use about 25 batteries of different sizes for the planes I fly, all HK specials. Electric flying has come of age!