Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

New prop and spinner for Pulse XT40

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

New prop and spinner for Pulse XT40

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:43 PM
rivas8409
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New prop and spinner for Pulse XT40

So without getting into too many details (simply becasue I don't know what would cause the spinner to "pop" off the plane on take off) I need to replace the spinner, and prop while I'm at it, on my Pulse XT40. There wasn't any damage to either but as I was trying to figure out how to re-install the spinner correctly I accidentally stripped the hex screw in the tip and now I'm having trouble getting it off- that's one issue, UGH! ....Anyway, the Pulse has an E-Flite Power 46BL, an E-flite 60AMP ESC,and I fly itwith 2S2P 4400mAh and a 4S 5000mAh Lipos.

I bought the plane completely assembled so this is why I'm uncertain of the prop combo used origianlly but I'm looking at the E-flite 2.25" aluminum spinner and a master airscrew 12x8 electric prop as replacements. Would this work? I'm pretty sure it would, but I want to be certain. I'vealso looked at an APC 11x8E prop but I like the durability of the master airscrews. I've seenthe beating they can take, not that I beat myprops on landing but I have the occassional hard landing. The manual for the Pulse recommends an APC 11x8E, but I'm looking at other possibilites.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:46 AM
patnchris

Default RE: New prop and spinner for Pulse XT40

You actually fly that thing with that little prop?.....Have you ever put a watt meter on it to see where you are?. I have the very same plane with the same motor and speed controller. I've been using a 13 X 8 APC electric prop for years. This puts me in the 800+ watt range, on static testing. With the set up you have, those 12 and 11 inch props are really bearly taking advantage of what you have. I think those prop specs are for the glow versions of that plane, and not the electric version. I also run the exact power system on my .40 sized YAK conversion and run a 14 X 7 APC electric prop. If I fly it with more throttle than I normally use, the ESC and packs do come down warm, but nothing to be worried about.
That being said, if you're happy with the way the plane flys on a 12 inch prop, then go for it. My experience with MS props is that they tend to be a bit more thirsty for watts than the APC electrics, while not giving any better performance. JMHO
Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 AM
patnchris

I thought I might post another tidbit of info, I've found to be true, over the years.
A while back I was flying a newly built plane with a power system that was kindda borderline. After test flying, I would get out my infra red temp probe and check the motor and ESC temps. They were higher than I felt comfortable with. I though on this for a few days, and then (while doing something totally unrelated) I had a brainstorm?? LOL. If you look at the electric motor configuration, they are designed to take in cooling air from the front and exhaust it to the rear. It occured to me that the spinner might be diverting some of that air to the sides and not allowing to enter the front. I removed the spinner and performed several test flights. The temp probe showed the motor was substantially cooler. Not only that, but it appeared that removing the spinner allowed the propwash to enter the front of the cowl and cooled the ESC better. To prove this, I reinstalled the spinner and reran the tests. I was right. The motor and ESC were hotter. From that point I started removing all my spinners and just using the smaller spinner nuts that come with the motors. The exception to this was with a couple of scale warbirds that just didn't look right without them. (and I demand less performsance from the warbirds than from my sport planes, therefore it wasn't an issue.....AGAIN, JMHO
Old 11-12-2010, 04:41 PM
rivas8409
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info! After I was finally able to get hte spinner off the plane again I realized that it's actually flying a 13x8.5 master airscrew. I like the performance it delievers, but I don't like the clearnce between the prop tip and the ground. Especially after a less than optimal landing- the prop tips show some signs of scraping the ground but it still performs great. A little more noisey I'd imagine, but Ilike it.

I boughta coupleAPC 11x8.5E's yeaterday as backups and ordered 2 more 13x8.5 MAS's. For now the current 13x8.5 is still on her and I'm looking forwad to taking her up tomorrow at the field.