Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3D Hobby 47" Edge 540 Questions

Hello everyone. I'm a first-time poster on here, so if this has been asked prior, I apologize. I'm an electric flyer, Istarted with the Firebird, moved to a F109 (with just ailerons, no rudder), then went to the SuperCub. Recently I made the move to the Trojan and am ready for a challenge. I've decided my first real build plane will be the 3D Hobby 47" Edge 540. I really want to get into 3D flight at this point. I've never built a plane before and was wondering if someone who either has one of these, or knows about them, could give me some advice on some obvious rookie questions I have?

1)What kind of receiver do you recommend? Ihave a Dx6i transmitter.

2) How many servos do Ineed for a build like this?

3) Are there any special tools/adhesives you have used in your builds that you would recommend for a beginner?

4)Do you recommend using the suggested Omega 130g 870 kV motor or something else?

5)Any other advice/things to watch out for you would like to help me with?

Ireally appreciate any advice or information you are willing to provide for me on these questions. I absolutely love the hobby and am trying to step it up a knotch. My flight skills are pretty decent, but my build knowledge is lacking since I've always had either RTF or BNF planes.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give me!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 3D Hobby 47

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NoloElectro

Hello everyone.Ā* I'm a first-time poster on here, so if this has been asked prior, I apologize.Ā* I'm an electric flyer, IĀ*started with the Firebird, moved to a F109 (with just ailerons, no rudder), then went to the SuperCub.Ā* Recently I made the move to the Trojan and am ready for a challenge.Ā* I've decided my first real build plane will be the 3D Hobby 47'' Edge 540.Ā* I really want to get into 3D flight at this point.Ā* I've never built a plane before and was wondering if someone who either has one of these, or knows about them, could give me some advice on some obvious rookie questions I have?Ā*

1)Ā*What kind of receiver do you recommend?Ā* IĀ*have a Dx6i transmitter. 6100 is fine

2) How many servos do IĀ*need for a build like this? 4 metal gear servos like hitec HS65MG

3) Are there any special tools/adhesives you have used in your builds that you would recommend for a beginner? Medium and thin CA , CA accelerator and debonder

4)Ā*Do you recommend using the suggested Omega 130g 870 kV motor or something else? thats fine

5)Ā*Any other advice/things to watch out for you would like to help me with? go with the 47" SHP instead

IĀ*really appreciate any advice or information you are willing to provide for me on these questions.Ā* I absolutely love the hobby and am trying to step it up a knotch.Ā* My flight skills are pretty decent, but my build knowledge is lacking since I've always had either RTF or BNF planes.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give me!
    I answered your questions but I recommend the 47" SHP.....its by far the best balsa 3d entree level plane IMO. I still have mine and fly it all the time .The SHP will use the same servos as the edge but only needs the 103gr omega and a 40A esc.

The newest version of the SHP was just released and it has some nice feature incorporated into it.

Mucho info here on the 47 SHP including build videos

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826396

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GoldKraft:Ijust got off the phone with the people at 3dHobby (INCREDIBLY nice people with great service!) and they said almost exactly what you did, word-for-word, about the Extra SHP. Plus that plane is about $40 cheaper. Thank you for all of your answers and your quick response.

crustychief:GREAT series of videos and very informative. Even if I go with the Extra SHP, I'll still refer to your videos as a reference for some build tips.

Thanks to both of you for your time and knowledge, it's greatly appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That was not "my" video. I posted a link to IPSmotors videos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I figured that out as I watched some more. Still, thanks for bringing them to my attention. There are some for the 300 SHP as well and I have looked at the manual for building it. Doesn't look like anything I can't handle at this point.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is good news right? They seem pretty straight forward to me. My son is always looking for a more maneuverable plane. I prefer scale physics and flight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, pretty good news. Things do seem to look easier when you're watching a professional who has probably built hundreds of them putting it together though. I'm sure once it's in front of me I'll be able to figure it out easily enough. More of my issues come out of the electronics aspect of everything. The guy I talked to kind of made it sound like my Dx6i wasn't as great as I thought it was. He said he uses a Futaba for his transmitter and couldn't give me any great advice about what receiver to use since he's been "out of Spektrum" for quite awhile. He started describing the Futaba transmitter's bells and whistles and lost me pretty early in the conversation. He also suggested the AR7000 receiver from Spektrum. Does that seem a bit overkillor do I need to spend the money for that? I've heard bad things about the AR6100 as far as range, but I have the AR500 in my Trojan and have had no issues up to this point.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You simply will not go wrong dealing with 3D Hobby personel and products....my first 3D plane was their 47" Yak with the Tork motor,(which I still fly after 3 years) and then the 57" Extra which I've now flown for 2 summers. The only problem I see with them, is they are definately moving towards large gassers which I also fly. Hope they don't forget their beginnings as I just joined Atlanta Hobbies club for electrics.
    John