RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   Goldberg tiger 400 EP (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/1943048-goldberg-tiger-400-ep.html)

skyblue 06-28-2004 03:57 PM

Goldberg tiger 400 EP

Has anyone bought the new Goldberg Tiger 400 park flyer EP.The specs are wingspan:39"
flying weight 1.1 lb with two cell lipo,all wood construction arf. I am amazed a plane of this size is so light.I'm just wondering what type of airfoil they are using.
skyblue

BuzzBomber 07-08-2004 12:43 PM

RE: Goldberg tiger 400 EP

I don't think it's been released yet. I'm interested too, though.

LJR 07-30-2004 11:31 AM

I just received mine from Tower. Wing is symmetrical 39" w/ strip airlerons. Plane is covered in Oracoat and looks very good , well built.
I will be using my own long can 480 w/graupner gear box 2.33.

Can't say exactly what airfoil they used but I do believe the weight at 499 grams with a 2 cell lipo ( which probably only weighs .75 oz.). I'll be using 8 or 10 cell Kans and know I'll be heavier.probably 22-23 oz.

Tweet 08-09-2004 03:45 PM

Has anyone had a chance to fly one yet? I looked at one at the LHS and the build quality seemed reasonable. I was thinking of putting a brushless setup in one.

jonnyjetprop 08-09-2004 09:01 PM

I was think along the lines of a higher turn mega, direct drive, with a 2s or 3s pack.

John

Tweet 08-10-2004 10:25 AM

I was thinking the Mega 16-7-8 geared 2:1 with an APC 10x7 prop and a 3 cell Lipoly. It would have plenty of performance. I don't think you want a direct drive Mega, maybe one of the outrunners would be okay.

stratosman 08-13-2004 04:19 PM

Well I just flew my tiger for the first time.Let me rephrase that I watched it try to get off the ground.The setup that comes with it will not work.I thought I would try it just like it comes from the box and see what happens.I used The battery pack that they suggested NiMH 7 cell 650AAA and went with their motor and gear box I used H55 servos and tried to fly it off of the concrete and could not get it to rise more than about 3 feet before it would want to come down. Tonight I am going to try a different prop and see if it makes a difference. It is a well built little airplane.I just have to figure out what will be the best setup for it.

Tweet 08-13-2004 11:40 PM

I think with most of these electric airplanes (in my experience) you toss the motor as soon as you open the kit and ignore the standard battery recommendations.

I opened one up at my LHS and it looks to be pretty well built. I might have to get one to fly at the house.

Toypainter 08-16-2004 08:56 PM

I have one and here is what I have found. The airframe is well built, but tail heavy. The stock motor is junk, the stock gearbox is very noisy and seems to vibrate (this might also be the motor), the landing gear might as well be made out of solder, even smooth landings will bend it. Very disappointing. However, I made a new battery tray so I can get the weight forward, installed an old 14 turn cobalt motor from Maxx products and an 8 cell KAN 1050 battery pack and this baby is really a nice airplane. Fast, smooth and responsive. I love it now, just have to fix the landing gear. I also have a Maxx aluminum gearbox coming and also a reverse timed Speed 400 motor that I will try.
Rob

Tweet 08-17-2004 04:04 PM

Sometimes you wonder what these guys are thinking when they put out these products, especially a company like Goldberg that has a pretty good reputation. Still it sounds as if the airplane might be worthwhile if you replace the gearbox and motor (I would), make sure it is balanced, and replace the landing gear. It does look pretty well built otherwise.

baldy 08-26-2004 07:58 PM

I recently bought the tiger 400 arf. I have yet to fly it as it is sooo pretty. The accounts of it being tail heavy are correct. I had to add 2 oz. to balance the plane. Trying to get the nerve up to go fly it. I would sure hate to crash the first time out.

The kit was pretty easy to assemble. The directions were not completely clear on a couple of areas, but with a little common sense, not too difficult.

nelsonw 08-30-2004 03:20 AM

I own a tiger 400 and have flown it with both the stock motor and a 3 cell lipo 1500 battery in the location normally used for a fuel tank in nitro aircraft. It flew adequate but very underpowered with the stock motor. Replaced it with a MEGA 400 5 turn direct drive and it changed it from a kitten into the tiger it is supposed to be. Flys well at all altitudes and I have had it out in 15-25 mph winds with no problems. Took the landing gear off and tossed it in the trash.

FlynFoam 09-06-2004 02:13 PM

[sm=bananahead.gif]
This is my first low wing and I am anxious to get it in the air. After reading about the troubles with the stock set-up I am a little reluctant as mine also has some severe vibration.
Would the maxx 6v speed 400 and a 2.5 gearbox fly the CG Tiger 400?
I had planned to use an 8 cell 5/4AAA Nimh pack 800mah.

or

is there an affordable brushless setup (less than $100.00)?
I have been looking at the Astro Flight 010 geared but I am not sure if it will work in the Tiger.
And would my battery work with the Astro set-up?

FlynFoam

baldy 09-07-2004 07:39 PM

Another update on the Tiger 400 arf. I was talking to the lhs and they told me that all low wing planes should be balanced upside down. I was unaware of this and removed the 2 oz. of weight I had put in the nose. It now balances at the CG right on where the instructions said it would. Broke the prop messing with it in the back yard, so I have yet to try and fly it .

Tweet 09-08-2004 12:25 PM

The Astro 010 with gear reduction will fly the airplane okay...no hot dog. If you are using their speed control you shouldn't use a three cell lipoly so the setup would be:

* 2 cell lipoly (2100 mah will fit)
* APC 10x4.7 or 10x7 prop or you could try an 11x7 (which is what I have on a slow stick with this configuration however it might not be ideal for the Tiger).

Here is a setup that will fly it great in terms of vertical performance:

Mega Motors 16-7-7
Mega 2.8:1 gearbox
APC 10x7 slow fly prop
Castle Creations Phoenix-25 ESC
3 Cell Lipoly (The Thunderpower 2100 will fit and give you 20 minute flights)

To get a feel for all this I would recommend getting Motocalc or something similiar.

Motocalc can be found at www.motocalc.com.

I know there are other good setups. For instance, it looks like an outrunner could be mounted.

FlynFoam 09-08-2004 02:29 PM

Tweet,
Thanks for your help. I will look into both of the set ups you have suggested.
I will also check into the Moto-Calc, might help with other/future projects.
The investment in the power, battery set up may keep this plane grounded a little longer as I do not own a lipo charger. I will plan to update you on the results once I do get her in the air.

Any suggestions on a reliable and affordable lipo charger? Would preffer a 120 volt input.

Thanks.

FlynFoam[sm=bananahead.gif]

Tweet 09-08-2004 03:04 PM

FlynFoam,

My favorite charger is the Triton, but that requires a power supply.

I also have a charger from Plantraco that does the trick and has a 120VAC adapter. It charges 2 and 3 cell batteries safely. There may be others out there just as good but I've had good luck with mine and it was pretty cheap ($60). http://www.plantraco.com/hobbies/index.html

The electrics aren't too bad once you come up to speed. Here are my tips for success.

* Get motocalc and play around with it.
* Definitely go Lipoly (you can use the same battery on more than one model).
* Definitely go brushless (power and flight time).
* Select a model you like.
* Model it in motocalc and then fly it. You will learn how it relates to reality (pretty close in my opinion).
* Keep asking questions.

I really enjoy my electrics because I get great performance, good flight times (all I want), and the convenience of flying near my house. I still enjoy gas and glow but probably fly more electrics because of the convenience.

Tweet 09-08-2004 03:09 PM

I guess I forgot to mention that I bought one of these over the weekend and plan to put in just the configuration I listed for FlynFoam:

Mega Motors 16-7-7
Mega 2.8:1 gearbox
APC 10x7 slow fly prop
Castle Creations Phoenix-25 ESC
3 Cell Lipoly (The Thunderpower 2100 will fit and give you 20 minute flights)

Not sure exactly when I'll get around to it, but think it will be fun once I do.

wedenj 02-11-2005 12:41 PM

I got the Tiger last September and was also very disappointed with the stock setup. I finally bit the bullet and put the following brushless setup in it:

Mega Motor USA Brushless – Part# ACn 16/15/4
Castle Creations Phoenix 25 Brushless Speed/Motor Controller
Mega MicroGear 16 – 2.8:1 ratio
Thunder Power Lithium-Polymer 3-Cell 11.1Volt 1900mAh Battery

On the first flight I used the stock 9x5 black prop that came with the stock setup. I really wasn't that impressed. From what I had read this setup should easily go vertical. Luckily on landing I busted the prop. After charging the battery I threw on an APC 9x6 Slow Flyer prop and oh baby what a difference. It was scary fast, and easily climbs straight up! I am now a brushless convert.

I am looking for advice on what different prop sizes to try and also gearing. How will a 10x4.7 or even 10x7 prop effect things? I have a Watt's Up meter on the way so I can be sure not to fry any of these new expensive components.

One last thing, the landing gear has got to go. With a total weight of 21oz it bends the landing gear over like a wet noodle. Anyone have recommendations on a good light weight landing gear setup that would bolt on?

Thanks,

Jay

Tweet 02-11-2005 01:01 PM

Jay,

I'm just finishing up my Tiger. I have a Mega 16/7/7, the 2.8:1 reduction, and CC Phoenix 25 also. I went with a TP1320 11.1V (but really thought about the TP1900) to keep the weight down. Because of that I went with an APC 10x4.7 prop. If I'd got the bigger battery I'd have gone with a 10x7. I may still depending on what my actual current draw is (Motocalc tends to run high).

Why don't you try an APC 10x7 SF prop? Your battery and motor will have no problem with it.

I know there are lightweight carbon fiber gear available. Here is one source: http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=2974

Did you put a tailwheel on yours or use the wire it came with?

wedenj 02-11-2005 02:09 PM

Tweet,

That sounds like a great setup. I think I will try the 10x7SF but will wait until I get my meter as I am new to this and don't want to fry anything. I guess I could always do the "fly and check for heat" test. I have been using the trial period for MotoCalc and it might have to be my next purchase.

Thanks for the link to the Carbon Fiber Landing gear. I am going to have to check the LHS to see what they have.

Tail wheel? Wire? Actually, I didn't use either.... guess I missed that step in the instruction book.

-Jay

Tweet 02-11-2005 03:23 PM

Jay,

You didn't put anything on the back? Are you hand launching? I don't think they mentioned anything in the instruction book, but there was this wire that can be secured to the rudder to act as a sort of tail wheel. The instruction book was only so so.

I am pretty sure the 10x7 would be fine for you, but I like your approach. Get the meter and check on the ground prior to flying it. The key to success in electric seems to be:

1) Have a program to play with on different configurations
2) Get some anectodal results
3) Select a configuration based upon 1 and 2
4) Check the results with a meter

I'll give a flight report once I get my Tiger up and running.

Tweet 02-23-2005 12:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally have this one ready to go. Mega 16-7-7 with 2.8:1 gear reduction, APC 10.4.7 prop and TP3S1320. It weighs in at 23 ounces. I had to add 1.5 ounces up front to get it to balance and the rearmost CG. The Mega is quite a bit lighter than the stock system. Motocalc says I should draw 13.5A and 136W with 25 ounces of thrust. I measured the current draw at a peak of 15.9A tonight and 152W. It will definitely fly vertical. Should be fun. I'll fly it the next time I get a chance.

da king 02-27-2005 01:23 AM

Have you tried an apc 11x7 sf yet?? Look's like that will be the prop to have for your setup. Good speed and great thrust.

DK

Tweet 02-27-2005 01:27 PM

I think the 11x7 would draw too much current for my 1320mah battery. Might try a 10x7 though. I should have used a bigger battery or the 16-7-8 instead probably.

I have 5 flights on the airplane now. It has unlimited vertical. I like the way it flies (my other electric experience with with a Zagi, a GWS Slow Stick, and a GWS PT-17). The handling is more precise than any of the foamies.

Criticisms
* The main gear is so weak I wonder if anyone at CG ever flew it
* No steerable tailwheel...come on, the cheap GWS plans have that
* Inprecise holds in the motor mount clamp made getting it installed on the rails dicey.

I do like the way it flies, but is definitely not a begineer's airplane. The control surfaces are pretty small so it is more for sport flying than anything else.

Overall, I am happy with it but certainly would not buy another. I think there are better balsa airplane in the same class out there now.