RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   E-flite J-3 Cub 25 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/4496267-e-flite-j-3-cub-25-arf.html)

Glacier Girl 09-24-2006 01:02 PM

RE: E-flite J-3 Cub 25 ARF

1 Attachment(s)
Well you guys have me scared, and I haven't even gotten off the ground yet. Dang weather.
I added the piano wires to the gear, and for the bungee part.......well a couple of wraps of duct tape and some heatshrink covering looks the part.:)

lthibault 09-24-2006 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since it was too windy to fly today, I decided to put plastic anchors all around and use bigger screws since one of them was already loose.

This photo shows the plane underneath, where all the screws are holding the landing gear with the nylon supports. The grey part is the anchor on top, just before I push it all the way inside the hole. This one is actually used for the wing strut.

PaulG-RC 09-24-2006 06:17 PM

Plastic anchors ? not shure where ,I cant seem to see from the picture.

lthibault 09-24-2006 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn't totally satisfied with my landing gear setup. Decided to use smaller springs with rods.

PaulG-RC 09-24-2006 06:54 PM

I might try springs too but when I find the size I want, still just the wires works well so far.

lthibault 09-24-2006 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: PaulG-RC

Plastic anchors ? not shure where ,I cant seem to see from the picture.
It's the grey piece, about to be pushed inside.

PaulG-RC 09-24-2006 06:57 PM

Sorry Luc , I meant I'm not shure what part of the plane its being applied too :eek:

lthibault 09-24-2006 07:02 PM

Ok, no problem.

I've used them on every hole under the plane - 8 for landing gear, 2 for the wing struts. So I can use bigger screws and solve the problem of some screws becoming loose in the balsa.

Hope this help.

PaulG-RC 09-24-2006 07:06 PM

Thanks Luc

Here is what I did and do for most my planes.
I install all the screws then remove them all, I apply a drop of CA in all the holes let dry well and then install the screws after dipping the tips in silicon adhesive and they never come loose :D

Paul

Glacier Girl 09-25-2006 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well just in case you want to go authentic on the bungees, here's a pic of a Robart bungee system unbagged. From my chum Mike's 82" version.

PaulG-RC 09-25-2006 02:58 PM

Almost got one of those for my 1/4 scale super cub PA18 thats a real nice system. :D

Paul

lthibault 09-25-2006 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the real thing:

PaulG-RC 09-25-2006 04:33 PM

I'm working on it :D

PaulG-RC 09-25-2006 04:37 PM

Glacier Girl, I notice in your gallery a B-25 and a P38 are those the Hobby-Lobby, if so how do you like them?
I'm thinking of the B-25 :)

Paul

PaulG-RC 09-25-2006 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we go I made my working bungee much better, I found 2 short springs with a perfect amount of tension and covered them with black heat shrink :D

Paul

Glacier Girl 09-26-2006 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: PaulG-RC

Glacier Girl, I notice in your gallery a B-25 and a P38 are those the Hobby-Lobby, if so how do you like them?
I'm thinking of the B-25 :)

Paul
Paul, the B25 is a H/L, the 2 bigger P38's are NitroPlanes versions.
Love the 38's, little dissapointed with the B25. I splurged and bought the full bore kit. Umm, it will not hold up to grass take off's and landings, with out some reworking. So told by Don at H/L, after mine had 2 structural failures. #1 was fuselage snapping right behind the wing. There is no inner support after the wing, the whole tail assy is supported by only the hollow foam fuselage. And that's a lot of tail back there. I installed spars to support it and it actually flew better.
#2 failure was poor assy at the factory. On last landing whole front of the fuselage collapsed, and to make matters worse it rolled into the still spinning left prop.[:@] Post accident investigation had found that wooden inner structure was tack glued to the foam, but never had been glued together. I e-mailed Don @ H/L about it and he told me they had beefed up their's with CF to handle the additional stresses of take offs and landings. Would have been nice if it had been mentioned in the manual. Well Don has promised a replacement fuselage for me, but it's been nearly 2 1/2 months now, and I'm still waiting for delivery.[&:]
In the time I did have it though, I really enjoyed flying it. Very stable in the air, and loved the sound of twin props.

PaulG-RC 09-26-2006 07:23 AM

Wow![X(] thats heavy damage on a nice looking plane .
I do like the P-38 also , I should check the NitroPlanes site.
Thanks

PaulG-RC 09-26-2006 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A bit more detail on my Cub Landing gear bungee, added the rubber boot tie raps and a bit of yellow paint :D

What else could I do :eek:

Paul

lthibault 09-26-2006 11:41 AM

Va voler!!!

Je vais essayer d'y aller tôt demain matin, Ã* Brossair (7:30 environ). J'apporte mon Cub et mon P-47 de Eflight.

PaulG-RC 09-26-2006 11:51 AM

:D The wind the wind......trops de vent [:o]

Paul

xrossbow 09-26-2006 12:03 PM

Looks great Paul! Is the spring you end up with around one inch by 1/4 or so? Do you think there is any danger of pulling those screws out of the nylon clamps?

Finding a lot of good ideas in this thread while still waiting, and waiting, and waiting for my servos to come in. :-(

What's the consensus now from those that have actually flown the cub as far as the best prop to use? (With the BL 25)

PaulG-RC 09-26-2006 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No worry about the screws coming out, they would already be out if it was too strong.
Here it is between my fingers.
The best prop is the APC 12x6 E with the BL25 and a 3S pack, I fly at lower then half throttle since the large diameter prop produces lots of air to the surfaces. :)

Paul

xrossbow 09-26-2006 01:24 PM

Thanks for the closeup of the spring Paul. :-)

About the screws, I was thinking along the lines of the landing gear flex during landing with the added spring action. Seems I recall something back in the thread though, where you added some CA and silicon adhesive to the screws.

Let us know how it works out.

The 12X6 prop is what I have. Noticed in the pic by Glacier Girl that the neat looking wooden prop looked to be a 10x6 I think. Was wondering how that worked out.

Thanks

lthibault 09-26-2006 01:44 PM

With all due respect, I prefer the plastic anchors, you don't need to put any stuff on the screws and they stay put. You can screw and unscrew them as much as you like (wing struts for example).

PaulG-RC 09-26-2006 01:48 PM

Yes CA and silicon is very good and strong hold, on a couple landings without the springs just the piano wires they stayed on even on a hard landing so I'm not too worried just yet :)

I wish we could use a wooden prop for flying electrics but I use one for static pictures :D

Paul