RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   E-flite J-3 Cub 25 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/4496267-e-flite-j-3-cub-25-arf.html)

PaulG-RC 09-27-2006 03:40 PM

RE: E-flite J-3 Cub 25 ARF

1 Attachment(s)
Well I tested my new gear bungee system and I did a couple of volontary hard and bouncing landings and they work just great :D You can see form the front picture the angle I gave the gear and it stayed the same after all hard landings and bounces.

I also worked on more cowl details like the exausts , a filler cap on top front of windshield and dirty a bit the engine and sides. :D

Got to love that little cub.

Paul

xrossbow 09-27-2006 04:05 PM

Looks good Paul, especially that prop. :-)

I finally started on assembly of mine a few miutes ago, at least an inventoryand landing gear assembly. Still waiting on servos.

Question, did your kit include a covering strip for the wing joint? I've been through the box and all packing material several times but don't see it.

PaulG-RC 09-27-2006 04:11 PM

Yes the strip was there in its own little bag by itself.

That can happen [&o]

Paul

xrossbow 09-27-2006 04:20 PM

Thanks. I seem to have this little black cloud following me around as far as E-Flite gear goes.

Purchased a mini ultra stick a while back. Fus damage right out of the box. Had to get that replaced.

Recent purchase of an Eflite inrunner. Pinion gear missing.

Same inrunner gave up after about 6 or 7 flites. Just got it back from Horizon services, new replacement, but don't know if I'm going to bother. Moving to outrunners.

Guess I better finish the inventory on this and then contact Horizon. :-(

PaulG-RC 09-27-2006 04:30 PM

Thats too bad, I must say I have been lucky with my ARF's so far.
A friend of mine has just gottenn the cub and had damage ribs in both wings and the wing saddle is not align, he already fixed it instead of sending it back.

Paul

xrossbow 09-27-2006 04:53 PM

Paul, how wide is that strip???

---------------------

Had the Horizon service fellow on the line. He was saying something about he might have a 1/4 inch available. Guess I'll find out Friday what he has available.

PaulG-RC 09-27-2006 04:59 PM

Its only 1 inch

xrossbow 09-27-2006 05:03 PM

Ooops, you respondeed while I was editing.

PaulG-RC 09-27-2006 05:11 PM

1/4 in thats a bit narrow I find [:-]

Slowjohn 09-27-2006 05:38 PM

Hi all,
Nice build thread and I really like the landing gear set-up Paul. I've been trying to decide which plane to build next. A Slow Stick or a ARF .15 size Cub. I have both and several more besides those. I was out of the hobby/sport for about 28 yrs. untill about 18 months or so ago. Saw an ad in a magazine at the Docs office and that was all it took. I'm disabled now so I have plenty of time but the funds are on the tight side. I have to be careful on what I spend as I have 2 teenage girls still at home to support. There have been so many changes since I'd last flown all those yrs. ago and it kind of made me feel the yrs. also. What was cutting edge back then is now called vintage.
I have searched most every forum I can find and have not been able to locate a build thread on the paticular size Cub kit I have. There is no manufacturers name anywhere in or on the box. I have seen pictures of the same plane by a few different companies with a few minor variations so I guess I have an overseas ripoff. Who knows anymore. There is no mention of being able to convert this kit to elec. so it's possibly an old kit although it seems to be in good shape with a few minor missing pieces.
Can anyone direct me to a build thread for an Elec. conversion of this kit? I would be very appreciative.

The specs are;
4 ch. .15 size
Wing Span is 49.6" / 1260mm
Wing Area is 286 sq. in. / 18.6 sq. dm.
Flying Weight is 2.30 lbs. / 1050g
Fuselage Length is 31.7 in. / 805mm
The N number is NC26858
There is a number on the box at the top of the specs, it is YH002

I'm still trying to understandall this Elec. stuff and need all the help I can get. So far I have a Tower Pro "Bad Boy" XM2908-10 brushless outrunner and a TP 30A ESC. I'm hoping the 9g servos will be stout enough. Will 11.1V 1300mAh 12C to 18C lipos be enough for some easy flying to start with? Which prop should I try with this set-up?

Thanks,
Slowjohn

PaulG-RC 09-27-2006 06:13 PM

Hi John
While doing a search I found another one of your posting about the same thing.
Well its not far from the E-Flite Cub so if your motor can turn a 10x5 prop it should do fine but watchout for the batt ,make shure your batt can take the AMP draw your motor demands.
The 10x5 should be able to turn at least 9000 RPM, I would guess a 2100 Mah batt 20c would be needed.
See if you can save on a bit of weight like the wheels and make shure you add some oppenings for air flow to cool down the power system.

Not shure of the kit you have but YH002 seems to be from a PILOT kit [:-]

I will still do some searching now I'm curious [8D]

Slowjohn 09-27-2006 06:42 PM

Hi Paul,
I believe the post you referred to was one that I had replied too of someone looking for the same answers I am. I don't believe there were ever any replies to it. I've seen this kit on several other sites although at the moment I don't recall which ones. The specs were the same but the "N" numbers were different and they would have some little something different but it was the same plane and some of the photos were even the same.
I was afraid the lipos I have were too small or light for this application. Do you think that 9g servos will be enough for this or should I go up a size? I've bought so much not knowing what I needed that I now have a small fortune in dust collectors now. I'll find a use eventually as I'm always trying something.
I'd also like to find a dummy engine for this Cub. Some of the others show theirs with one and some don't. I wonder how many versions of this kit there were? Some show different landing gear also. I have no way to post a picture of my kit nor do I know how to post a picture from another site. Heck I don't know how to post any pictures. I'll get 1st Lt Mac to help me out after I find a picture of the one I have.

Thanks,
John

PaulG-RC 09-27-2006 06:48 PM

Yes a picture would help for shure.
not shure what you mean by 9g servos but what you would need is at least 4 servos can have at least 30 oz of torque as light as possible.
Not shure if they make dummy engine for J3 , I guess they do but would have to do a seach for it.

Paul

1st Lt Mac 09-27-2006 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,
Im posting a Pic for SlowJohn
Thanks

Slowjohn 09-27-2006 07:34 PM

Thanks 1st Lt. Mac

John

PaulG-RC 09-27-2006 07:40 PM

Thats good, it gives me an idea but not shure yet what it could be but not a Pilot kit thats for shure. [:o]

Slowjohn 09-27-2006 07:49 PM

The kit is well done it seems. I was surprised that the covering is as good as it is. It's a standard balsa/plywood ARF kit. The auction did say it was a Chinese kit. The instructions (mostly pictures) are in good understandable English. The worst of the kit is the struts. They appear to be Bamboo and aren't straight at all. Any suggestions on how to straighten them? I'll look up the specs on the 9 gram servos as I'm not for sure of them.
John

PaulG-RC 09-27-2006 07:53 PM

Not shure about Bamboo, I would get new balsa sticks, if its not functional.

Slowjohn 09-27-2006 08:23 PM

I didn't mean to hijack this thread but I do appreciate the help big time.
The bamboo is usable it's just me not wanting to use the warped struts. I'll look for something else to use if I don't like them after I mount them.

The 9g. servos only have 11/oz-in torque listed on their specs. I found some 15g servos w/metal gears that show 50/oz-in torque. I can get those resonable enough. That means I better hurry and change my order for the 1st of the month.

Thanks for all the help.
John

xrossbow 09-28-2006 01:43 AM

Paul, looks like you did some detailing just under the prop. What have you done there? Looks good.

PaulG-RC 09-28-2006 05:55 AM

I installed the exausts like the real cub and oil stain ,I still want to install the brake lines too.

Cant really see those details in flight but if I do close up flyby's you see it but very nice on static pictures. :D

Paul

Slowjohn 09-28-2006 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: PaulG-RC

Hi John
While doing a search I found another one of your posting about the same thing.
Well its not far from the E-Flite Cub so if your motor can turn a 10x5 prop it should do fine but watchout for the batt ,make shure your batt can take the AMP draw your motor demands.
The 10x5 should be able to turn at least 9000 RPM, I would guess a 2100 Mah batt 20c would be needed.
See if you can save on a bit of weight like the wheels and make shure you add some oppenings for air flow to cool down the power system.

Not shure of the kit you have but YH002 seems to be from a PILOT kit [:-]

I will still do some searching now I'm curious [8D]
Paul,
The "Big Boy" TowerPro XM2908-10 will swing a 10x6 (11.1V lipo) prop up to a 11x6 (7.4V lipo). It's rated Max. 25 Amps and 1100KV so the RPM's are there. Max efficiency is 90%??? I do have the light semi-hard foam wheels but would like to run the bigger tundra tires for the rough grass field we have at the moment.
So will I still need the 20c 2100mAh battery or will a 15C constant discharge 2500-3000mAh do the job. I'm not really looking for hard aerobatic performance but more like some relaxed flying. Basic Cub like performance. A fairly strong climb out would be nice as we have a 10 to 15 mph wind here most of the time along the coast.
I ordered the 15 gram 50/oz-in servos and another Rx. and crystal this morning. So it'll be 7 to 10 days before they get here. Uh, USPS is slow down here plus add in the small town factor. That'll give me plenty of time to build my Slow Stick first as I have everything for it already and still have time to build the Cub by the time the parts arrive. At least that's the plan at the moment.
Thanks again for all the help.
John

BTW, any luck identifying this kit yet?

PaulG-RC 09-28-2006 11:27 AM

No luck yet John
Your system should do fine then John.
Try not to exceed 3.5 lbs

Paul

Slowjohn 09-28-2006 11:47 AM

Are you saying the 11.1V 1300mAh lipos are good enough for what I have for now?

Thanks,
John

Oops, I forgot to add that they are rated 12C to 18C.
John

PaulG-RC 09-28-2006 05:24 PM

No John not the 1300 ,you did mention 2500 and 3000 mah does are good but 1300 is too small.