RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   E-Flite Mini Pulse XT Owner's Club (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/4692202-e-flite-mini-pulse-xt-owners-club.html)

jetnfast 05-25-2007 02:42 PM

RE: E-Flite Mini Pulse XT Owner's Club

Thanks for the quick replies and insights. I will be doing a good bit of flying the next few days since we have a few days off. If only the smoke would clear up in northeast Mississippi. The Florida/Georgia fires are making thier way up here, poor visibility and smoke in the air with the southerly winds. I will go out and fly anyways! take care -

Aaron

Doc Austin 05-26-2007 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Ken Cz

Doc,
Put me down for one - I'll be right behind you!

ORIGINAL: Heilies

Hey Doc Austin
You can count me in Doc,I think a Pulse XT 25 E would be great!!!!!!:D:D

We aren't going to get one until we make a bit of noise, so make some noise here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5866663/tm.htm

bzizzi 05-26-2007 08:08 AM

I really good pilot at the field told me to learn to land under power and you will have alot less
damage to your landing gear area.I did it both ways and he is 100% correct!!!! Always try to drag the tail and cut power at the last possible moment.Try to land into the wind without power and you will see what I mean.I have been flying for almost one year now and can pretty much land anything now because of this.

Fliprob17 05-29-2007 08:59 AM

The Pulse lives again............well it's parts do anyway :D

I used the remaining servos to put in a Mini Ultra Stick. Flew that for the first time this weekend, what a complete blast to fly that plane is. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND one to anybody who likes the Pulse, but just has a little itch for something more. It would be a great next step. It is completely wild and crazy, rolls are lightning fast, within a second or under. And it lands like a feather, no power, much much slower than the Pulse.

The ESC, Park 480 and Receiver went into the Mini Funtana X. Still need servos on this one, so I have not flown it yet.

I am looking at ideas for the next Pulse though, the last one was to put a Power 15 in it.........................just kidding :D:D

firestick52 05-29-2007 03:49 PM

flyprob,

Thanks for the battery info. I'll be taking you up on that offer. Glad to hear you got the MUS flying. I had mine out over the weekend. The weather was perfect here yesterday. Flew the MPXT, too.

For those interested, I removed the dubro spinner and flew without a spinner at all. It allowed me to trim 14 grams of fat from the XT! Amazing difference in the way it flies. I won't ever be putting a spinner back on it.

Fliprob17 05-29-2007 04:31 PM

I actually started off flying it without the spinner. More concerned about overheating the motor. It does fly lighter and faster without it. But it just looks so nice and tight with it ;)

squeaky penguin 05-29-2007 05:43 PM

Thanks to fliprob with the helpful info on mounting the park 480 I got my mpxt up in the air quickly. As of now I have had several very successful flights and love it. I hope to have many more successful flights in the future.

My Setup:
Park 480
E-Flite Pro 25A
HS-55's
TP 2100
Berg Microstamp 4
11x5.5 E

For props I have also tried a 10x7 SF and a 11x8, and because of my ability level and the vertical climb rates I have choosen the 11x5.5 for now.

zoott 05-29-2007 06:34 PM

Squeeky is your esc able to handle your setup? I have a 35 on mine and worry its at the limit.

Fliprob17 05-29-2007 06:48 PM

The highest amp draw I got at WOT was out of a 11x7SF and a 12x6SF, and that was at 30 amps. The 11x7E was pulling 24-25 amps. So I would guess an 11x5.5E would be around 20-22 amps at WOT.

Doc Austin 05-29-2007 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: fliprob17

I am looking at ideas for the next Pulse though, the last one was to put a Power 15 in it.........................just kidding :D:D
I'm switching mine over to a 2.6 Futaba receiver, but after that i'm going to try 4S 2080 extreme series batteries. The thing is gonna be stupidly overpowered.

squeaky penguin 05-29-2007 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: zoott

Squeeky is your esc able to handle your setup? I have a 35 on mine and worry its at the limit.
I running the lower kv 480. The continuous is 20A and the Burst is 25A. The ESC has a continuous of 25A and a burt of 30A. Its close, but it works.

Heilies 05-31-2007 08:34 AM

Hey guys
Thought I'd add this in about landing the pulse.At this point,we've landed her more times than can be counted.The BEST method in our experience,is to bleed off speed,cut power completely and glide her in.Sometimes she'll do a porpoise thing,no problem,just go with the bounce and she'll be fine.Other landings turn out to be perfect 3 pointers.The pulse is un-predictable in landing and that's what makes it a challenging plane! And by the way,I do believe that the original steel bolts on the landing gear are the way to go,not nylon.

Darryl

Snoopyxupery 05-31-2007 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Heilies

Hey guys
Thought I'd add this in about landing the pulse.At this point,we've landed her more times than can be counted.The BEST method in our experience,is to bleed off speed,cut power completely and glide her in.Sometimes she'll do a porpoise thing,no problem,just go with the bounce and she'll be fine.Other landings turn out to be perfect 3 pointers.The pulse is un-predictable in landing and that's what makes it a challenging plane! And by the way,I do believe that the original steel bolts on the landing gear are the way to go,not nylon.

Darryl
I totally agree with you Darryl.;)

zoott 06-01-2007 07:50 AM

I'm having real good luck with the nylon bolts. I'm usinng 10/32 though. I added 1/4 plywood in the channel where the blind nuts were and then tapped it for the bolts. I then put tri stock around the outside of the channel.
It works well for me . I only broke the nylon bolts maybe twice. I havent ripped anything out yet. I hope this doesnt jinx it.

Fliprob17 06-01-2007 01:37 PM

If anyone visited the store in the beginning, under construction, please give it another look. I think we finally have a lot of the information dialed in. We will constantly be adding more merchandise. GRAND OPENING has just started :D

jetnfast 06-02-2007 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
10+ flights so far with the pulse and still going strong. For those running their pulse with a 450 or considering the 480, I think the 450 is an adequate motor for flying the bird and allows for plenty of aerobatics, and fun, you wont be dissapointed. Although I bet the 480, it would be ballistic like others have said! I starting flying some Knife-edge maneuvers today and as long as you have a good bit of speed on the entry and input the controls quick enough, it will hold it for a while with a slight climb. What a great plane. I am eye-balling a MUS next (480 perhaps). I am starting to develop a thing for these little park flyers, its kind of addicting. I like how I can just grab it and go, no setup, just connect the pack and fly, it's a nice break from glow.

Aaron

Doc Austin 06-03-2007 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today will probably be the last day for my venerable old Mini Pulse. It has long been expendible because I've gotton my money out of her long, long ago, so I'm trying out a new Futaba 2.4 system in her. After a few flights to shake the system down and dial in the rates, off she goes to the LHS as a trade on a new one.

I'de have to say the plane has held up extremely well to the the beating I have laid on her. As far as value, I think only my original Mini Ultra Stick gave me more (if not only as much) bang for the buck as this little Pulse.

However, she has gotten really dinged up from transportation, and the Florida sun has played hell with the Ultrakote covering. There are a few big sags that I can't get out. Last night I burned a hole in the turtle deck trying to tighten up a nasty wrinkle, and that makes me so crazy that I just want a new plane.

Tonight I will take my backup Pulse "kit" out of the closet and transfer all the gear over. It's always great to have a nice, new, shiney plane, but I will miss the old girl for a bit. I'm sure the new one will be just as good though, if not even a little better because I learned so much from the first one.

So, we are roughly 200 flights in with the current Mini Pulse and everything has held up to the abuse pretty well. I think at this point I'm qualified to offer an informed analysis on the plane, so here it is:

:D:D:D:D:D

So, for those who may have missed it, this is the life my Mini Pulse had had to endure. Provided I can get her home in one piece today, this may have been the best value I've had in 50 years of flying model airplanes......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rawC-C9JMWA

Heilies 06-04-2007 03:13 AM

Hey Doc Austin
Loved your Mini Pulse video dude,and great music to listen to whilst watching you do some serious 'pulsating' stuff,very cool!:D

Darryl

Doc Austin 06-04-2007 08:59 AM

Well, I thought I had a spare Mini Pulse kit in the closet, but I must have traded it off or something. After buying all those expensive 4S batteries and setting up a couple of other new planes, I don't have an extra $100 to shell out for another Mini Pulse.

What's aggrivating is that I had pulled all of the gear out of the current Mini Pulse. So, now I had to put it all back in because I've got to fly her for awhile longer. I patched up the few spots that were making me crazy and she doesn't look so bad anymore.

So, I guess it's off to another 200 flights!

clovus 06-04-2007 06:32 PM

So....... I guess I just joined the club.........

Seeing a small window of opportunity in the weather (rain and wind) I raced outside to fly the mpxt. I usually ROG off a cricket pitch but as there was only about 20 minutes of usable/flyable light I decided to try the big park opposite my house. Couldn't ROG as the grass was too long so decided to try a hand launch. WOT and gave it a decent heave. All going well so pull back and she nosed dived full speed into the ground. What the??? I did a quick control/range check and thought it was all good. Maybe I was in such a hurry it didn't register the control surface movements weren't correct.

Turns out I'd flown my 3d plane that morning and forgot to change model memory. I think I can repair it. The damage is mostly to the motor mount. I can't believe it, I had just over 4hrs on this plane and was just telling my flying buds what a great plane it was....

clovus

Heilies 06-05-2007 08:35 AM

Clovus

G'day mate

Sorry to hear about the fate of your pulse.[&o]Hopefully some epoxy will get you skybound once again.In the meantime, you can practice hand launching your boomerang mate!:D

Darryl

Fliprob17 06-05-2007 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: clovus

So....... I guess I just joined the club.........

Seeing a small window of opportunity in the weather (rain and wind) I raced outside to fly the mpxt. I usually ROG off a cricket pitch but as there was only about 20 minutes of usable/flyable light I decided to try the big park opposite my house. Couldn't ROG as the grass was too long so decided to try a hand launch. WOT and gave it a decent heave. All going well so pull back and she nosed dived full speed into the ground. What the??? I did a quick control/range check and thought it was all good. Maybe I was in such a hurry it didn't register the control surface movements weren't correct.

Turns out I'd flown my 3d plane that morning and forgot to change model memory. I think I can repair it. The damage is mostly to the motor mount. I can't believe it, I had just over 4hrs on this plane and was just telling my flying buds what a great plane it was....

clovus
What a bummer [:@] Sorry to hear that. Go get a Mini Ultra Stick ;) The Pulse is a great sport plane and fairly easy to fly, the Mini Ultra Stick is just plain crazy, tons of fun ;)

Fliprob17 06-05-2007 10:29 AM

FYI, if anyone is interested in 3D, take a look at the Airplanes & Helicopters page on my store now........really excited to get these planes in the store, very high quality construction ;)

clovus 06-05-2007 04:58 PM

Thanks Fliprob,

I just have to make a new mount and the rest is superficial - a little bit of torn covering. My LHS offered me a good deal on one he had in stock after hearing the story so I might buy that for the next inevitiable gravity vs me incident.

clovus

bluesdr44 06-06-2007 09:42 PM

I just picked up a Mini Pulse (plug&play); took her up for the first time yesterday...what a great little plane. I did want to get some input as you how you guys are routing the antenna (FM/PCM). I hate having it trail behind the plane, both my nitros have whips mounted in the fuse. I just had my dropped down inside the fuse for last night, and had no problems, but the range check was shorter then I would have liked, so kept it close during the flight.