RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   E-Flite Mini Pulse XT Owner's Club (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/4692202-e-flite-mini-pulse-xt-owners-club.html)

Flyer06 06-28-2007 09:42 PM

RE: E-Flite Mini Pulse XT Owner's Club

I'm a beginner in rc flight and the mini pulse xt is my second plane...my first was the rtf super cub from hobbyzone so i didnt have to worry about control throws...i need help understanding one more thing before i can go and fly...how do i set the recommended control throws?

flyer06

Doc Austin 06-28-2007 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: swank

Neat trick, but this is still almost 3/4" forward of the CG point that's in the book.
Honestly, I didn't read the part in the manual when it came to CG. I've had so many planes with constant chord, constant thickness wings with fully and semi symetrical airfoils that I know just where I like them to balance. In theory, too, 31-33% is right.

What has happened is that with the 3D craze, rearward CGs have become fashionable. This makes the planes lively when you are dragging them around in or near an alpha, but they become just evil when you get some speed built up. They get very jumpy in the pitch mode, which is something you don't need in a sport plane.

What I find odd is that the Pulse is nowhere near a 3d plane because it doesn't have the control surtface area that's necessary. If E Flite is calling for the CG to be that far back, it's got to be a typo. First, Mike McConville absolutely knows what he is doing, and the big Pulse is balanced right at 31% dead on the money. Why woukld he balance the little pulse differently? Hey, it's a mystery to me.

But, try the balance machine again, but with the plane inverted. That way you can really get it dialed in exact.

Oh well, we'll see how it flys! Last plane I built (an Aspera from 3D Hobby Shop) was dead on using the CG machine.........
Yes, but the wing is very close to the middle on the Aspera, and the effect of having all that weight above the centerline makes the Pulse more hard to balance upright.

Well, if you can fly an Apera the Pulse is going to seem rather crude. I love the Pulse, but the Aspera is just completely out of this world. I've never owned a finer airplane. Of course, they are different kinds of planes, too. The Pulse does what it does brilliantly, and so does the Aspera.

I know you have one too........
Indubitably, and there's some news coming on the Aspera that I can't talk about just yet, but give me a week or so and maybe I'll have something I can share.

- I'm using a Rimfire 35-36-1000 motor with CC Phoenix 60 and ParkBEC - more power than the Torque 2814-820 that I tried first - what a rocket).
Man, the Aspera is pretty wicked with just the 2814 on 4S packs. It's almost too fast for my small field now.

Flyer06 06-28-2007 11:09 PM

doc,
please help me!??!?!?!?!?!?!

Flyer06

Doc Austin 06-28-2007 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Flyer06

doc,
please help me!??!?!?!?!?!?!

Flyer06
Use a ruler to measure the throw of the elevator, ailerons and rudder. By throw, I mean the movement of the control surface either up or down, or in the case of the rudder, left and right.

First, set the end point controls on your radio at 100%, and then do the measurments.

Stand the ruler up lengthwise and hold it up to the back edge of the elevator. Look at the ruler and note where it lines up with the elevator. let's say it's, for example, 1." Now, with the radio on (and most definately with the propeller off the airplane) pull the elevator stick back to full up, hold it there, and read the ruler again. Let's say, for example, now it reads 2.5" That means that the trailing edge of the elevator moved 1.5"

And that's how you measure the control surface deflection (movement) or "throw."

Let's say the manual calls for 1" of throw, so you now have to get rid of .5" of throw. You can either move the pushrod out a hole or two on the control horn, or imove it in a hole at the servo. If you need to add throw, move the pushrod out on the servfo arm, or in on the control horn.

Here's what the manual calls for:

Ailerons:
3/8" Low Rate 1/2" High Rate

Elevator:
1 /4" Low Rate 1/2" High Rate

Rudder:
1 1/4 low rate 1 1/2 high rate

Now, check the manual yourself because I just copy/pasted it from the owner's manual PDF file, so I may have screwed it up. If you don't still have the manual, you can download it here: http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...iniPulseXT.pdf

The measurements are for both directions, not total. So, if it says 1/2' up/down, that means 1/2" up and 1/2" down.

Finally, you can see how my Mini Pulse is set up on this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5966349/tm.htm

Sroll down to the pictures and you can see how i've got my pushrods hooked up. If you copy this, it will get you pretty close, though the ailerons might be a touch too much, and the rudder is going to be waaaaay too much for you. If you have dual rates, you can always copy my set up and use it for high rate, and use the setup in the manual for low rate.

Now, don't freak out if you're off 1/16". This plane isn't that critical. If your radio doesn't have dual rates, use the high rate measurements. Still, i highly suggest that you get an experienced pilot, p[referrably someone really good, to check out the plane and trim it out for you. Have him stay with you for a few flights until you are comfortable. Tis plane is going to be a pretty big jump for you, but it's an extremely docile and honest plane.

This isn't that complicated, but it is hard to explain in writing. I hope this helps, but if I made you more confused use the search feature and look for a thread on how to set control surface movements. That, or just ask somke more questions and we'll do our best to get you off on the right foot.

SassyDave 06-29-2007 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Doc Austin
Stand the ruler up lengthwise and hold it up to the back edge of the elevator. Look at the ruler and note where it lines up with the elevator. let's say it's, for example, 1." Now, with the radio on (and most definately with the propeller off the airplane) pull the elevator stick back to full up, hold it there, and read the ruler again. Let's say, for example, now it reads 2.5" That means that the trailing edge of the elevator moved 1.5"

And that's how you measure the control surface deflection (movement) or "throw."
My question has always been: Did you just measure half the throw? Are you supposed to measure from full down elevator to full up elevator? Or do you measure from neutral to full up (as recommended in your post)? Also, shouldn't the neutral-to-up distance be slightly less than neutral-to-down?

Thanks!

--Dave

Fliprob17 06-29-2007 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: SassyDave
My question has always been: Did you just measure half the throw? Are you supposed to measure from full down elevator to full up elevator? Or do you measure from neutral to full up (as recommended in your post)? Also, shouldn't the neutral-to-up distance be slightly less than neutral-to-down?

Thanks!

--Dave
My understanding is that you measure from neutral to each direction, and that is how it has worked out with manual specs on all of my planes. I don't know if the neutral to full up elevator is supposed to be less than to full down, but mine came out the same way.

Flyer06 06-29-2007 09:21 AM

Doc,
thank you so much you helped me alot with understanding the deffinition of throw...one more thing...i have a dx6 and i dont have a clue what dual rates are?.....?.....?

Flyer06

cloudancer03 06-29-2007 10:30 AM

the CG isnt an issue .really.I use my CG balancer on my bigger planes.the only time I had to be carefful with balance on my pulse was when I removed the landing gear .the weight was just enough to make it a wee bit tail heavy.otherwise balnce with two fingers as they say in golf "close enough".

kenrcer 06-29-2007 12:34 PM

I am new to electrics 15 years nitro. I have a question about throttle throw. As I move TX throttle stick up it goes about a quart to half of inch before electric motor engages. Is this normal? Is trim tab used for setting up idle speed

Doc Austin 06-29-2007 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: SassyDave

My question has always been: Did you just measure half the throw?
1/2" up/down (for example) means 1/2" up and 1/2" down, or 1" total movement.

Or do you measure from neutral to full up (as recommended in your post)?
That's the way I've always done it, and either that is correct, or I've been doing sdomething else wrong and it all evens out. :D

Also, shouldn't the neutral-to-up distance be slightly less than neutral-to-down?
Not always. That would be called "differential." and it's useful in some applications and not others. Generally I want my planes to be as responsive to down elevator as up, and that way it pulls out of a dive equally well either direction. However, aileron differential (more down than up) seems to make a plane turn smoother.

Doc Austin 06-29-2007 01:01 PM

Doc,
thank you so much you helped me alot with understanding the deffinition of throw...one more thing...i have a dx6 and i dont have a clue what dual rates are?.....?.....?
Check your owner's manual and it should be explained there, but if not, let me know. It's going to take a lot of writing to explain it, but basically dual rates allows you to change your control throws to high or low settings in flight just by flipping a switch.

For example, let's say on high rate the plane will do five rolls in five seconds, gut if you want to slow it down to three rolls in five seconds you can set your low rate throw to accomplish that. You just dial the low rare back until it's right. You can fly around on high rate and crank off five rolls in five seconds, or flip the switch to low and the do three rolls in five seconds. it works the same way with the elevator. basically, it gives you two setting to choose from, and you can change back and forth in mid-flight depending on what you are trying to do.

zoott 06-29-2007 06:50 PM

I graduated from the hobby zone supercub to the mini pulse.
Heres my suggestions.
Set your control throws at the low rates or less until you get use to the plane its alot more responsive.
Climb up a bit before you trim and be ready to trim.
I had the same nose heavy cg problem. I put my tp 2100 so just a little bit sticks out of the velcro strap (Like 1/4 inch ). This means most of the battery was above the wing. This worked for me with the 480 motor and heavier wheels. I however didnt use wheel pants.
Reinforce your gear and use nylon bolts. Some use the same diameter. I went to a larger diameter.
These are just what worked for me.

Flyer06 06-29-2007 09:08 PM

doc,

i got the pnp model...and its NOT IN THE MANUAL...sorry for the inconvinence but im sure you can pull off all that typing...thanks AAALOTTTTTTT..its really important to me that i understand everything so i can excel in this hobby...thanks agian so very much...

flyer06

davidgeorge212 06-29-2007 09:25 PM

I have a wonderment here, See I had ordered a mini pulse 450 motor and 25 amp esc from an internet store and then I later found out that the speed control and motor were going to be on back order. So I said Im not waiting a month for them to come back instock so I went down to my LHS and I picked up a 450 motor and I was reading on the box that they recomend you use it with their e-flite (EFLA311B) 20 amp speed control and that was the only speed control that my local hobby shop had in stock so I picked one of them up. My concern is that all of the manuals for the mini pulse say to use the 25 amp esc. Do you think that I will be ok with a smaller 20 amp speed control or should I get the recomended 25 amp speed control.

Doc Austin 06-29-2007 09:48 PM

i got the pnp model...and its NOT IN THE MANUAL...
Yes, but it's in the DX6 manual. Check page 32..........................

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...DX6_Maunal.pdf

............its really important to me that i understand everything so i can excel in this hobby...
This is a complex sport that's hard to get started in without help. A lot of it is so complex that it can't really be explained in writing. If you were here I could just show you, but we don't have that convience. I think you really need to find an AMA club and grab the best pilot you can find there. Get him to walk you through all this stuff. The best pilots are always happy to help the new guys, and they never want anything in return. Of course, it won't hurt if you bring him some bottled water after a hot flight or maybe even run out and get a pizza.

Get someone good to go over the plane and make sure it's set up right. He can probably set those rates up in about 30 seconds and then show you how to do it for yourself. Have him trim the plane out and not give it back to you until it's right.

I work with a lot of new guys, and most of the time I can spend a few minutes setting things up, 30 seconds to trim the plane out, and the rest of the time I coach them on flying. None of this stuff is difficult or complex once you understand it, but nobody learned eveything by themselves.

Doc Austin 06-29-2007 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

I have a wonderment here, See I had ordered a mini pulse 450 motor and 25 amp esc from an internet store and then I later found out that the speed control and motor were going to be on back order. So I said Im not waiting a month for them to come back instock so I went down to my LHS and I picked up a 450 motor and I was reading on the box that they recomend you use it with their e-flite (EFLA311B) 20 amp speed control and that was the only speed control that my local hobby shop had in stock so I picked one of them up. My concern is that all of the manuals for the mini pulse say to use the 25 amp esc. Do you think that I will be ok with a smaller 20 amp speed control or should I get the recomended 25 amp speed control.
I wouldn't risk it. If you burn the speed controler out you can lose the radio in flight, which is never good. The PNP comes with a 22 amp ESC, so I think 20 would be marginal.

I'de say the best thing to do is to take the 20 amp ESC back and exchange it for the the E Flite 40 amp. Having an ESC that's too big doesn't hurt anything, and if anything, the unit will be undertaxed in the application and run cooler. It will work just fine with the 450, and that's the way I ran mine....with a 40 amp ESC.

Later that ESC will handle a 480. After you get used to the Mni Pulse, you will want more power, and if you buy the 40 amp now, you can use it now on the 450, and later when you set up to the 480. There's no sense in buying a second ESC later when you exchange the one you have for the right one.

Now, if you just can't wait for your LHS to get the ESC, Horizon can probably get it to your doorstep in about 2 days.

Right now I'm flying a motor rated at 40 amps in my Aspera, and I'm running a 60 amp ESC. That ESC won't have to work hard at all because it can handle so much more power than I am putting through it. Later, when I step up to a bigger motor, I can still use the same ESC.

davidgeorge212 06-29-2007 10:45 PM

I was also looking at the 40 amp esc. they had 20 or 40amp esc's. I wish I had known a little more about speed controls because they have always been a mystery to me as to which size goes best with which motor and plane. I will get a 40 amp esc tommorow, I guess it should work really well. With the 40 amp esc it shouldnt heat up much at all will it? as far as taking the other one back I got a little excited and already solderd some deans connectors on to it, so I will probably just save it for another plane if I get another one.

jetnfast 06-30-2007 10:33 AM

I have been running a 20 amp E-flite ESC with the recommended 450 motor and have had no problems whatsoever. I have monitored the temps and even running it WOT for most of the flight it is still nice and cool when I land after 15 min or so running with a TP 2100mah pack and the recommended 10x8 prop. I have about 15 flights on my pulse with the 20 amp esc and it still runs like new. This isnt nearly as many as most dudes on here have flown their pulse's but regardless, you should be fine if you decide to stick with the 20 amp ESC. I agree with Doc in that your upgrade capability is limited, meaning you are at the limit of the ESC/motor matching capacity. So if you live close to a hobby shop and you can return it to get a 40 amp ESC if you choose, that wouldnt be so bad either in case you want to get the 480 later. I think the pulse cruises around just fine with a 450. Hope this helps -

Aaron

Fliprob17 06-30-2007 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

The 20 amp would work with the 450. The 20 amp ESC is rated a 20 amps continuous, the 450 is rated at 14 amp continuous and 18 amp bursts. So you are within the range. If you have another plane for the 20 amp, it is always safer to go bigger on the ESC. Does not hurt anything. I always try and go about 10 amps above the motor specs with the ESC just to keep everything cool.

Flyer06 07-01-2007 05:36 PM

doc,

i got good help when i flew today and i perfected my flying...i do have a guestion...what is servo travel adjustment?

flyer06

Doc Austin 07-01-2007 11:27 PM

doc,

i got good help when i flew today and i perfected my flying....
Damm. I've been flyhing 50 years and my flying is far from perfect! :D

..i do have a guestion...what is servo travel adjustment?
On Futaba radios it's called "end point adjustment." It allows you to reduce the servo travel if you have too much, as for example, the throttle servo opens up too much, or reduce the travel if, for example, the throttle closes too much. On the Mni Utra Sicks, you can't get enough rudder movement with mechanical adjustments becasuse the pushrod will bind, so I add servo travel with the end point adjustment.

End point adjustment is simply a set up aid. We didn't have it in the old days and we managed to fly without it, but it sure is nice to have when you are setting the planne up.

Flyer06 07-02-2007 01:10 PM

thanx doc,

i know you're better than me in flying i was just excited that i got a hang of it...thanx agian for ur help...

Flyer06

Eric Gebhard 07-02-2007 03:06 PM

I went out and flew the MP again this weekend. Did about 3 flights on Saturday and another 4 on Sunday. I decided to try setting up flaperons to help slow down for landing. It worked really well. The other thing I started doing was landing with the power on until the last second. This made a big difference in landing speed.

I am really glad that I had the nylon bolts holding the landing gear on. On Sunday I wasn’t lined up right with the runway and instead of aborting the landing I decided to touch down in the grass. As soon as I did I heard a pop and the nylon bolts on the gear snapped off. The wheel pants made hole in the bottom covering on the wing but that was the only damage. I was able to fix temporally fix the wing with a little clear tape and was fling again in 5 minutes. If I had the stock bolts on I probably would have been spending Sunday afternoon repairing the fuselage.

newjak 07-02-2007 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Eric Gebhard

I am really glad that I had the nylon bolts holding the landing gear on. On Sunday I wasn’t lined up right with the runway and instead of aborting the landing I decided to touch down in the grass. As soon as I did I heard a pop and the nylon bolts on the gear snapped off. The wheel pants made hole in the bottom covering on the wing but that was the only damage. I was able to fix temporally fix the wing with a little clear tape and was fling again in 5 minutes. If I had the stock bolts on I probably would have been spending Sunday afternoon repairing the fuselage.
I got rid of the wheel pants on my MPXT because I figured that would happen. I also changed to 3 inch MPI spoked wheels which make a HUGE difference when landing in grass. I am a beleiver in the nylon bolts for the landing gear too.

Doc Austin 07-02-2007 06:35 PM

On the Mini Pulse sometimes the wheel pants will come back and take out the bottom of the wing. That's the unfortunate risk you take because if the bottom of the plane rips out, you might or might not take out the bottom of thw wing too. I mean, maybe if you make a rough landing with stteel bolts the bottom won't rip out, but I think with either type bolt you stand an equal chance of the wing getting poked.

If you are flying out of a rough field or tend to make rough landings, the best bet is to run the nylon bolts and forget about the wheel pants. Actually, we have flown the Mini Pulse with no landing gear at all, and it really looks sweet in the air like that. I am toying with the idea of installing retraces in my Pulse XT46E because with no ugly nitro motor and LG gear spoling her looks, she would be really beautiful.