RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/5826832-nitromodels-predator-rq-1b.html)

brownlab 02-07-2008 09:46 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
thats the predator i had it had the downwards fins

imwebbo 02-08-2008 03:07 AM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
Papajeff - if you dig around on the net you will a reference made to a Predator C which GA are developing - its got a turbo fan rather than a prop. Could be the first to mod a nitromodels pred b with an EDF!!

brownlab 02-15-2008 09:55 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
yesterday my plane fleet grew with the addition of my new f-22

wtmcgehee 02-20-2008 12:52 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
I have purchased a Predator. The question I have is what kind of paint did they paint the plane with because I had some come off on the bottom left wing when I was epoxying the wings together and need to touch it up. The monokote underneath is yellow. All of the parts have a different color. I would think they would coat them all black or something so it's not that obvious when some paint comes off.

papajeff 02-20-2008 03:40 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: wtmcgehee

I have purchased a Predator. The question I have is what kind of paint did they paint the plane with because I had some come off on the bottom left wing when I was epoxying the wings together and need to touch it up. The monokote underneath is yellow. All of the parts have a different color. I would think they would coat them all black or something so it's not that obvious when some paint comes off.
I never could figure that out about the yellow covering that they used and then painted over it. I did have a similar
situation and used a water-based acrylic paint. You can find a huge selection of colors at any Michaels, AC Moore
or Joanne Fabrics stores and they are about a buck per bottle. The paint dries just about as dull as the Predator's
exterior. Let me know if it works for you.

TravisKy 02-26-2008 12:51 AM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
I have seen in some pictures that the model has a pod on the bottom, but in other pictures I don't see it. So does the model have a camera type pod on the front bottom of it?

papajeff 02-26-2008 09:06 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
1 Attachment(s)

Quote:

ORIGINAL: TravisKy

I have seen in some pictures that the model has a pod on the bottom, but in other pictures I don't see it. So does the model have a camera type pod on the front bottom of it?

That pod is just an "OLD DOG" Grandpa raiding his Grandkids toy boxes and finding things to make his Predator
more like the real thing. The pod is just my concept of what a radar dome might look like. Like the armament????

mikesan 03-06-2008 08:53 AM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
Hi Papajeff a most interesting thread. so much so that I have just ordered one from UK. I shall be studying yours and others comments during the build
One thing I hope to do is put a steerable nosewheel on,. I shall follow your wing fixing tips as well as others- thanks for inspiring me

Mike

georgee 03-06-2008 02:41 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
Hi Guys,
I"ve lost the canopy of my Predator.Can someone to offer me a good resource to find a replacement?
THX

George

papajeff 03-06-2008 09:48 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: mikesan

Hi Papajeff a most interesting thread. so much so that I have just ordered one from UK. I shall be studying yours and others comments during the build
One thing I hope to do is put a steerable nosewheel on,. I shall follow your wing fixing tips as well as others- thanks for inspiring me

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased that you have ordered your own Predator. Be sure to
notice the posts by Chris Hornby as he may be one of your Countrymen and you might want to contact him
and learn from his experiences with the Predator. Please, just feel free to ask any questions during your build
and we will be sure to respond.

papajeff 03-06-2008 09:59 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: georgee

Hi Guys,
I"ve lost the canopy of my Predator.Can someone to offer me a good resource to find a replacement?
THX

George

George,

I believe that Nitro has some Predator parts available and you can check with them at;
www.nitroplanes.com Let us know if you have any success.

Chris and I will be starting our "Global Hawk" UAV (EDF powered) in a few weeks.
This should be a good project.

chrishornby 03-07-2008 03:36 AM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
One option is to get a large plastic drinks bottle. Carefully cut off at an angle part of the shoulder and a length of the bottle to match the shape of the canopy. Easier to see than to describe, and you can alter the shape a bit with a heat gun. Worth a try?

Chris (in South Africa at the moment see http://www.rcmovie.de/view_video.php...b88be8adbfd10e )

Jeff..I will be back next week and hope to see my globalhawk waiting for me!

georgee 03-07-2008 09:46 AM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
Papajeff and Chris,
Thank you for the tips

Georgee

mikesan 03-07-2008 10:36 AM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
Thanks for your reply I have contacted Chris but as you know he's in South Africa. Since he's less than two hours away i hope we might meet one day up and he could give me some tips

I sent you an email but should have put the question here in case others want the same info. In one of your pictures you show the blue esc outside the fuselage is this to keep it cool.? i was wondering if it could go up the front and have longer wires connection to the lipo

would appreciate your advice

mike

papajeff 03-08-2008 04:20 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

ORIGINAL: mikesan

Thanks for your reply I have contacted Chris but as you know he's in South Africa. Since he's less than two hours away i hope we might meet one day up and he could give me some tips

I sent you an email but should have put the question here in case others want the same info. In one of your pictures you show the blue esc outside the fuselage is this to keep it cool.? i was wondering if it could go up the front and have longer wires connection to the lipo

would appreciate your advice

mike

Mike,

I'm pleased to hear that you and Chris may get together soon. The ESC was mounted on the aft end of the fuselage
for cooling as the rear cowl covered the ESC as well as the motor. I just thought that the cowl, with it's opening would
be perfect to cool the ESC and the motor. It must be working as I never have any issues with overheating. You could
mount your ESC in the front, under the canopy, by the battery as long as you create the air opening in the nose.
(see the photos below)

papajeff 03-08-2008 09:27 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: chrishornby

One option is to get a large plastic drinks bottle. Carefully cut off at an angle part of the shoulder and a length of the bottle to match the shape of the canopy. Easier to see than to describe, and you can alter the shape a bit with a heat gun. Worth a try?

Chris (in South Africa at the moment see http://www.rcmovie.de/view_video.php...b88be8adbfd10e )

Jeff..I will be back next week and hope to see my globalhawk waiting for me!
Chris,

Nice video of the longest model aircraft field in Africa. You are the "MAN!" It will be great to work
with you on the Global Hawk build when you return to the UK. Let me know when you get home.


brownlab 03-08-2008 09:55 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
wouldnt the hole in the nose cause the plane to fill with air and cause drag?

mikesan 03-09-2008 04:35 AM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
Thanks very much for the info and the photos

Mike

papajeff 03-09-2008 09:50 AM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: brownlab

wouldnt the hole in the nose cause the plane to fill with air and cause drag?
The air intake hole in the nose, along with an air exit (exhaust) opening at the rear of the plane,
creats an air-flow which will cool the ESC & battery. The exhaust opening prevents any incoming
air from building up in the fuselage so that no drag is created. Good question, Brownlab!

CloudNineAviation 03-09-2008 11:49 AM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 

Yo !

PPJ...:) where is this 'Global Hawk' model coming from...:)....is it an ARTF or whats the story...PM me if its a Top military Secret..:)

papajeff 03-09-2008 12:36 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
1 Attachment(s)
Cloud 9,

Tango........Foxtrot........Bravo! Classified info for sure, right??????????? From the Predator to the Global Hawk.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...................... .....Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

papajeff 03-09-2008 12:42 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
Cloud 9,

See posts #424 &425. The Global Hawk is a EDF, foam ARF that I found at www.sonicelectric.com

iamman711 03-10-2008 08:36 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
i want, no i need the rc edf global hawk.

chrishornby 03-13-2008 03:28 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
PapaJeff
Arrived back to a windswept UK yesterday morning, held in the stack over Biggin Hill for over an hour waiting for a slot at Heathrow! When I got in a nice long package was ready for me, My Global Hawk. I havn't done any more than look at it so far, but aim to start the build asap. Have you started yours yet? What are your first impressions? I am not too sure about the fan and motor unit.. maybe its OK.

Chris

chrishornby 03-13-2008 04:15 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B
 
looks like the GH is back in stock here:
http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...egory_Code=AIR


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:38 AM.