RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/5826832-nitromodels-predator-rq-1b.html)

papajeff 05-21-2007 01:57 PM

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

ORIGINAL: babenson

I built mine but can't seem to get it to fly well. Keeps stalling on me. The CG is set and everything is in order,but it is all over the sky...anyone currently flying one that can shed some insight?

I think that the issue of stalling might be partly due to lack of using the rudder ( in this case the "V" tail) to exicute a turn in conjunction with the ailerons. Aileron turns, with these long thin wings, will tend to put the plane into a stall attitude. So, be careful to turn with GENTLE use of the ailerons and add in a little rudder ( V tail ) just to avoid the stall tendency.

chrishornby 05-21-2007 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: papajeff

OK, now I'm back from the JOE NALL event (which was absolutely fantastic & quite unbelievable), so we can get going on the Predator build.
Well, now I can get you those photos from post 18 as we were about to prep for the main wing attachment.
Hi Papajeff, All I have left now is to attach the wings so I anxiously await the rest of your directions! :)
I read about the JOE NALL but it is a bit far for me to go (6000 miles) although I wouldhave liked to be there!

papajeff 05-21-2007 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chris,

I met some of your Countrymen at the Joe Nall, a Father & Son team - M.J. and Chris Bull, from Burton on Trent, Staffs DE141RW. They were great chaps and I enjoyed meeting them. OK.....now to the detachable main wings!!!!!!! It's suggested to place the landing gear in position temporarily just as a guide and then with a new sharp blade, carefully cut out a hatch as shown in the photo.

[:o] I seem to be having some problems with Java Script causing an issue with preventing me from attaching photos to my posts. I will solve this issue tomorrow for sure and I'm sorry for the delay. ***** NOTE::::: It looks like I finally got this problem solved!!!!!!

papajeff 05-22-2007 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is obvious that the cut out piece of balsa will become the hatch cover, so be careful and take your time. Please note that the exposed interior of the fuselage shows the ESC and motor leads going thru. We will get to this process soon ( this routing of wires was accomplished prior to the wing attachment, but we are now skipping around a little in order to address the issue of detachable main wings now rather than later in the build )

papajeff 05-22-2007 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For the access door, it seemed so simple just to use the new "criss-cross" strapping tape from 3M for the hinge. For a hatch latch, an old Alfa warbird
one was found ( Dubro has a new one that would be perfect). The hatch cover was attached after all the assembly was completed so it would not get in the way during any of the build.

papajeff 05-22-2007 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now, take each wing root and just recess one of those rare earth magnets, as you can see in the photos. Also, recess a washer on the fuselage.....yes,
so both of them line up with each other! Slide the included carbon wing rod into the fuselage........insert the wing aileron extension into the fuse.......
and just slide each wing onto the rod till the magnet does what magnets do! THAT'S.........THAT!!!!!!!!! If you like, a second magnet could be installed
on the other side of each wing root, just to give a little added security!

chrishornby 05-22-2007 04:03 PM

Papajeff, thanks for the info, I am going ahead as you suggest but I dont know anything about rare earth magnets.
Please can you take a look at http://www.emagnetsuk.com/index.asp?...LAYCAT&catid=9
and tell me which size to buy, and whether you think these are suitable.
I really appreciate the effort you are taking to share your project with us.

Chris

papajeff 05-22-2007 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: chrishornby

Papajeff, thanks for the info, I am going ahead as you suggest but I dont know anything about rare earth magnets.
Please can you take a look at http://www.emagnetsuk.com/index.asp?...LAYCAT&catid=9
and tell me which size to buy, and whether you think these are suitable.
I really appreciate the effort you are taking to share your project with us.

Chris

You got it correct....NEODYMIUM.....it is! Mine were from Hobby-Lobby and were about 1cm diameter X about 2-3mm in thickness. Notice that I put the magnet in the fuse and the washer in the wing cord. I believe that if two magnets were used ( one in the wing and one in the fuse) it would be extremely difficult to remove the wing without some damage because these little magnets are so very strong!!!! Let me know how it goes.

chrishornby 05-23-2007 03:22 PM

I got me magnets on order. Hope to complete the build tomorrow...

papajeff 05-23-2007 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I got me magnets on order. Hope to complete the build tomorrow...
Excellent, we are a little out of order with the build, but no harm as the sequence can be adjusted as we have. Since you are trying to complete the build tomorrow, it is a suggested to increase the size of the wheels if you want to ROG off of grass in addition to a hard surface. It was found that ultra-light 2 1/2" for the mains and 1 3/4" for the nose worked fine.

papajeff 05-23-2007 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now you can install the two "V" tails with the included allignment pins, as shown in the instruction photos as [#6 install the empennage]. Remember to always remove some of the covering at the contact areas, so that the epoxy will bond balsa to balsa. Just rub your fingers over the fuselage in the area of the "V" tail attachment and you will feel the pre-drilled holes under the camo covering. Pierce the covering with a pencil point and
trial fit the allignment pins. When you are satisfied with the allignment go for the Z-POXY ( the five-minute version for this application ) from the ZAP gang and you have a strong, dependable bond!

papajeff 05-23-2007 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Notice the ESC at the rear of the fuselage in the above photo? It's placement is at the opposite end of the fuse from the receiver & battery, so now we can wire the long, narrow Predator fuselage by using a fishing sinker and some string. From the photos you get the idea, right????? Just take your time......have a little patients........and once the sinker appears.....attach the 36"long MAXX Products extension to the string and easily thread it through the fuselage.

papajeff 05-23-2007 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Tower Pro ESC, available from NITRO MODELS, was prepared by soldering a DEANS (male) connector for the Li-po battery and three gold pin connectors (from MPI) which really makes a very secure connection to the brushless motor, which has three corresponding gold pin connectors. Notice the added length of the three motor leads in order to span the length of the fuselage. Some electrical tape helps to keep the wires manageable as they are threaded through the fuselage.

papajeff 05-23-2007 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you can see the result of the above process as the Deans connector for the battery and the extension from the ESC, which will be attached to the MAXX Products #1570 universal controller switch, are routed to the front equipment bay under the canopy. This little switch is great as it gives you the comfortable feeling of knowing that you can attach the Li-po and then use the switch to "turn on" the ESC.....makes sense to me!

papajeff 05-23-2007 11:03 PM

Oh, I just remembered to tell you (hey, it's late and I'm an "OLD DOG" Grandpa) I have left the installation of the vertical tail and the landing gears with wheels (from the instruction photos step #8 & step #9) for the very last steps of the build. It just seemed that they would always be in the way while completing other steps, if you get what I mean. Well, it worked good for me.

chrishornby 05-24-2007 05:01 PM

I got the magnets, tough little fellows aren't they? I also got some smaller ones with a view to fastening the canopy with them, but I am not sure whether it is a good idea. I tried velcro but that looks awful. Do you have any ideas about attaching the canopy and making it easily removable?

I decided to put the ESC forward, I am having trouble getting the CG far enough towards the leading edge. Seems to balance OK with the ESC here though and I dont think I will need any lead. Not sure what the issues are with having long leads though.

I also had already decided on bigger wheels. Our patch is quite tufty.

Chris

papajeff 05-24-2007 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I got the magnets, tough little fellows aren't they? I also got some smaller ones with a view to fastening the canopy with them, but I am not sure whether it is a good idea. I tried velcro but that looks awful. Do you have any ideas about attaching the canopy and making it easily removable?

I decided to put the ESC forward, I am having trouble getting the CG far enough towards the leading edge. Seems to balance OK with the ESC here though and I dont think I will need any lead. Not sure what the issues are with having long leads though.

I also had already decided on bigger wheels. Our patch is quite tufty.

Chris
There have been no problems with the long ESC leads traveling thru the fuse from the rear to the front where the Rx and the battery are placed under the canopy. It was placed in the rear due to the cooling hole which was part of the "rear cowling." If the ESC is placed in the front equipment bay, it is strongly suggested to make sure that there is a cooling vent in the nose. It just happens to be a case of Grandpa having a little bit of insurance when he builds......see attached photo.

papajeff 05-24-2007 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
With respect to the canopy, a new thin velcro was used ( it was found at Home Depot) and it works perfect. The hinge was also the same criss-cross straping tape as used for the main wing access hatch.

Glacier Girl 05-25-2007 07:32 AM

papajeff,
Nice build forum. Just a tip, something I ran into when I built mine last year, Check the main wings. On mine the alignment holes were not identical and one of the wings had way more angle fore and aft then the other. Would have made a really nasty maiden if I hadn't caught it.
And yep the wings flex like all get out, especially on a loop. Permant attatchment of the wings is near impossible, a lot of strain there, and usually the fuselage gives if you glue the wings on.
Lastly she glides like a dream. Even with those thin little wings. But also those thin wings can make a take off messy if you try and horse it off the ground, needs to have speed built up.

papajeff 05-25-2007 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

papajeff,
Nice build forum. Just a tip, something I ran into when I built mine last year, Check the main wings. On mine the alignment holes were not identical and one of the wings had way more angle fore and aft then the other. Would have made a really nasty maiden if I hadn't caught it.
And yep the wings flex like all get out, especially on a loop. Permant attatchment of the wings is near impossible, a lot of strain there, and usually the fuselage gives if you glue the wings on.
Lastly she glides like a dream. Even with those thin little wings. But also those thin wings can make a take off messy if you try and horse it off the ground, needs to have speed built up.
Hey, thank you for your comments and tips which are most appreciated. I have viewed many of your posts over the past year and I consider you to be "The Professor!" Yes, I like your style and your threads are informative and interesting. So, your comments will always be appreciated by me!!!!! Ohhhhhhh......Yeahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

chrishornby 05-27-2007 06:36 AM

I have finished the plane and it is ready to go. I am a bit reluctant to fly it though because I am not entirely confident about the magnets holding the wings together. I am thinking maybe I will replace them with nylon bolts?

Chris

papajeff 05-27-2007 02:04 PM

I have finished the plane and it is ready to go. I am a bit reluctant to fly it though because I am not entirely confident about the magnets holding the wings together. I am thinking maybe I will replace them with nylon bolts?

Chris
You certainly could use nylon bolts, but I have had no problems during numerous flights which were basically scale-like with no 3D type moves.
I have accomplished mild & gentle loops ( 10 mistakes high.....you know) without incident. If you are still a little aprehensive, put a few narrow
strips of double sided tape at the wing roots before attaching the wings to the rod, and then go for your maiden flight with confidence. Now,
like Galcier Girl cautioned, ROG full throttle....let the Predator lift off when it is ready...just let the plane gain altitude gently and you can add a bit of up elevator if you like........a gentle rudder ( "V" tail ) turn with some aileron to assist, is just fine as you gain altitude to start the trimming out
process. One other thing, remember it is better to be a little nose heavy rather than tail heavy, especially with a "V" tail. Good Luck, and let me know how it goes......I'm sure that it will be fine!

papajeff 06-03-2007 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It seems that we have wandered a bit in this build, but that's OK cause being flexable is good! So, let's talk servo installation with linkage and first let's go back to the aileron servos. The instructions show the basic "V" bend for adjustment control rod which is not the best method ever devised! As a result, a stronger more dependable linkage is suggested as shown in the photos.

chrishornby 06-03-2007 03:51 PM

One other thing, remember it is better to be a little nose heavy rather than tail heavy, especially with a "V" tail. Good Luck, and let me know how it goes......I'm sure that it will be fine!
Did the first flight yesterday. In spite of 100 Grams of lead in the nose and a 1700mah 11.1 lipo right upfront I think she was still tail heavy. But flew nicely albeit skitterish and once or twice threatened to tip stall, luckily quite high. I will try again with more lead. If she flies okay with all that weight up front I think I will try a larger battery and get longer flights!
I went with the v bends on the ailerons, but having seen your mod, maybe I will do that too.
As there are 2 servos on the wings I programmed in flaperons. Actually with the DX7 if you want the 2 servos on separate channels you dont have any option but to have the flaps as well, which could prove interesting if you forget to check the switch position. (note to self..write to Spektrum)

papajeff 06-03-2007 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chris,

I'm pleased that your first flight was successfull and eventhough there were some issues.......you have the opportunity to solve them since your Predator is still intact......a good thing, right????? Let's go back to the basic stats; my Predator has a flying weight of 30 oz. including the 3S 1800mAh! The brushless outrunner produces about 90w/lb with an APC 9 X 6 Slo-fly prop and there is no problem with the proper CG. Take a look at these photos for the placement of the electronics and I must tell you that I have no problems with a "tail-heavy" situation. Also, note the tracking horizontal position of the Predator in the flying shot......which was with a bit of up elevator ( "V" tail ). As you can see, the only weight added in the nose, remembering that the ESC is located at the rear of the fuselage, was 1/2 oz. That's it!