RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   FOAM PLANES (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/9171116-foam-planes.html)

geeter 10-13-2009 08:10 PM

FOAM PLANES

is there anyboby out there that hates foam planes as much as me? i think there junk. give me a balsa plane anyday. i don't care if it's depron foam,epp foam or whatever. they just don't fill the bill for me...................GEETER

geeter 10-19-2009 11:44 AM

RE: FOAM PLANES

guess not....................G

Bozarth 10-21-2009 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Come join us at our next indoor fly-in this Saturday. We have a blast, and most have been in the hobby for 20+ years - and guess what they all show up with - foam planes! No one forces them to?!? The majority also fly on 2.4 gHz and have HD tv's and really small cell phones. I have no idea why?

Kurt

skyblue 10-24-2009 04:38 PM

I'm against 99.9% of most of the foam planes on the market. The main reason is that they are poorly constructed, require a great deal of reinforcement and frankly most are made from the wrong type of foam. To top it off they are way too expensive. Foam is a great building material for model aircraft but not the way the manufactors are producing the current crop of aircraft. My opinion is based on the numerous foamies at our field. Yes it is sad to see so many pilots spending their hard earned money on these barf oops I mean arf planes.

Bozarth 10-24-2009 06:59 PM

Please don't tell this to the pilots that show up to our indoor events! You obviously are not talking about indoor foamies! Now I'm off the indoor fly-in.

Kurt

geeter 11-03-2009 10:12 AM

skyblue, i'm glad you agree. maybe some indoor planes are ok, but i wouldn't buy another foam plane ever. if i won ,one i would it first and get a wood plane to replace it even if it costs more. they are cheaper to make and still want the same or more for foam junk. IMHO.................RON

BalsaBob 11-03-2009 11:12 AM

Geeter, I'm guessing that you have never tried a foamy EDF ! I am not a big fan of conventional foam planes in general ..... but the small EDF's ..... I think they are a blast ! .... especially when there is 3-4 of them in the air at once. Try one ... I'll bet you'd like it ! Bob

rc-sport 11-03-2009 08:06 PM

I was sitting in my garage sunday and decided I wanted to fly. Grabbed my foamy, walked across the street to the park and tossed it up. Flew for 10 min and went home. I love foamies.

trevormatney 11-05-2009 06:08 PM

It sounds like someone has had a really bad experience with a foam plane, and has given up on the whole idea! Foam airplanes got me back in the hobby after a 20 year break. Now I fly mostly balsa, but would never be without a foamy to go toss up in the front yard! It seems kind of ridiculous to write off foam as an alternative building material IMO. To each their own I suppose. No balsa plane will ever be as durable as an EPP foam airframe though! That's a fact Jack!

BalsaBob 11-06-2009 10:43 AM

I also think that the foamies are (in general) making us better pilots .... because we are flying more ! I am able to fly more often, in more locations, and in more 'less than perfect' wind/weather conditions. More stick time is gooder, betterer ! ! Bob