Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Banana Hobby P-38

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:10 PM
TMB4RC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banana Hobby P-38

I'm wondering if anyone is currently flying this one....it looks great on the company video. But, judging from previous posts, BH doesn't have a very good reputation. I have seen the E-flite P-38 fly andI trustHorizonHobbybecause of previous experience.Apparently, they have discontinued their P-38...I don't find it on the website.

Ted
Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 AM
p38mike
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Banana Hobby P-38

I strongly suggest that you read mine and other consumer's experience with the company before buying from them. Their video was impressive and I was looking for an electric P-38. However I'm very sorry I did not do my research on the company, Banana Hobby first! What you read about them is absolutely true. My P-38 also arrived damaged and their reply was to take photos and email them back. Forget about trying to reach them by phone, it is at least a 30 minute wait and you can actually hear someone picking up to see if you are still on the line and have not given up! The boom gear door was damaged and I was expecting them to send me a new boom but they just sent a cheap but complex door mechanism which I have no idea how to fix! It is supposed to be a new product, why should I have to spend time fixing it? Then they said to take more photos to "prove" I have not begun assembling it (which I have not) and have not heard from them since. Now I am stuck with a damaged product and out $200. The lesson I have learned (and should have known) is to ALWAYS check reviews of companies that I have not previously had dealings with BEFORE buying from them. I also told them I would relay my negative experience on RC forums but obviously they could care less as they failed to respond.

My advice - go elsewhere! The odds are very good the product will arrive damaged and then you are stuck with very poor and unresponsive "customer service".
ORIGINAL: TMB4RC

I'm wondering if anyone is currently flying this one....it looks great on the company video. But, judging from previous posts, BH doesn't have a very good reputation. I have seen the E-flite P-38 fly and I trust Horizon Hobby because of previous experience. Apparently, they have discontinued their P-38...I don't find it on the website.

Ted

- Mike
Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Dr_Chuckie

It looks like Hobby King sells the same plane (no radio gear). Even with the slightly higher shipping from China it's still cheaper than buying it from Banana.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:49 AM
heavy metal thunder

The P-38 from Banana is a good flying plane if you get a good one. If you don't you might been difficult getting the problem resolved. I've head of more than a few complaints of poor customer service from the local fliers. Because of these problems, I myself have steered clear of Banana Hobbies, I buy my stuff from Nitroplanes, Hobby King, and Toy Sonic.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:25 PM
captainzach

I had a good experience with Banana Hobby. I got the f18 Super Hornet rc jet and the condition was awsome.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
BEAR-AvHistory

Two of the guys I fly with have the HobbyKing versions from the US warehouse & they are sweet flyers. Only down side to the plane is the retracting landing gear is weak & you might think about replacing it if you get the plane.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:02 AM
emederos
My Feedback: (78)

Good thing for me reading this because I was just about to order from bananA hobby but will just stick to tower hobbies, you cannot beat the deals they have and also customer service is great
Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Bklein

I bought this plane a month ago. Didn't have a problem with Banana Hobby. I originally ordered it from Hobby King and was on back order for 4 months (canceled the order). Banana Hobby shipped the same week I ordered it.

This is an incredibly good flying model looks great in the air and on the ground. Amazing clean rolls, slow flight characteristics, and unlimited vert with the stock motors. You need a pretty long runway unless you set up for flaperons. Fun to fly! Cheap too.

The bad things are....
Retracts are flimsy... I ended up modifying the nose gear by drilling out the hinge hole and putting in a larger hinge pin. Helped allot.
The installed servos and linkage were screwy. There are 10 servos. Some were reversed but all are connected with 7 y cables (2 have three servos). Had to make new cross linkages to correct the elevator and rudder setup.
The factory assembly is done with hot glue...... Had to remove and reattach the gear doors and hinges.

A dream once you get it in the air...
Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto on buying from BH. [:@]

If you haven't yet check out the thread over on RCG, 100+ pages, lotta good info there.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1128276