Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Under powered motor..... Let's make it fast!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Under powered motor..... Let's make it fast!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:03 PM
CGCINC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under powered motor..... Let's make it fast!!

OK.... I had this motor and ESC laying around from a wrecked plane....
Brushless 950kv (500 class) SEE HERE
50amp brushless ESC
14.8v 2200mAh (the battery it was using)

I have an Apprentice 15e and the motor started making a weird noise and finally locked up.
I installed the above motor and ESC and ran it with a 11.1v 3200mAh 20c lipo and it actually has more vertical than with the original motor.
My question is since the old battery was a 14.8v,this motor is under powered, right?
Is there anything I can do to boost the power out of this motor easily? The 14.8v battery, I know, but I switched the connectors and it is used for my P47 so that won't work.
I have two 11.1v 2200mAh 20c batteries....If I ran them in series would it burn things up?

I just like to tinker so any idea's are appreciated!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Under powered motor..... Let's make it fast!!

Bit of a tough question there. I looked up your system, there are no specs on the site for it other then kv of the motor.
What kinda amps was it pulling in the original configuration? What's it pulling now? Are you using the same prop as was on the Cessna?

With a 50 amp esc it sounds like the motor is capable of approx running up to 50 amps.

If you know what the original amp draw was on the 4S pack, you should be able to go with the 6S set up, just adjust your prop size/pitch to keep the amps in the same spec.

Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't give you more to go on but you don't have a lot of info to make any type of real estimate for you.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Check your ESC. You can't trust the BEC to be reliable at more than 3 cells on many of them.

More and more ESCs are coming with "switch mode," "switching," or "UBEC" type BECs on them (all the same thing), which are capable of powering the receiver off of 6 cells. However, not all of them have this feature.

Unfortunately you can't tell by looking, unless there's a label that expressly says it has a switch/switching/UBEC.

If the ESC worked on 4 cells without a separate power source for the receiver and servos, you can go up to 4 cells.

The combo may be able to take 6 cells, but you'll need to downsize the prop significantly, and you'll want to disable the BEC and run a separate power source for the receiver and servos just to be safe.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 AM
CGCINC

It originally ran on a 4s Lipo so that's not an issue.
Thanks for all the help guys....
Old 10-28-2010, 10:20 AM
CGCINC

Old 11-09-2010, 05:20 PM
eye4wings

If the new motor is giving you better performance on 3S than the old on 4S it seems to me that you are already on a winner!Why change it? Even if the new motor is underused in that model it will stay cooler and live longer which can't be bad.
I would guess the dfference in thrust is more to do with different kVs than anything else - especially as you changed the prop to one with less pitch.

Incidentally if the nasty noise in the old model is a dislodged magnet it ought to be repairable. Withdraw the shaft with the bell and have a look inside. A thin film of epoxy ought to stick the magnet back in.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 PM
CGCINC

ORIGINAL: eye4wings

Incidentally if the nasty noise in the old model is a dislodged magnet it ought to be repairable. Withdraw the shaft with the bell and have a look inside. A thin film of epoxy ought to stick the magnet back in.
I would guess that to be what it was....BUT, it is no longer repairable. It completely locked up after I installed the prop and ran it for a minute or so.