Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cap 232 Downed - Any suggestions?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Cap 232 Downed - Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Hugebass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cap 232 Downed - Any suggestions?

All,

I maiden flew my Wattage Cap 232 with Astro 020 Brushless and 3s3p Li-Poly's.

50' up, 100' out, sucker starts barrelling over indefinitely pile driving right into the ground and desintigrates the frontal mouting and cowling.

Problem: Forgot to extend my Tx antenna. Dad gummit. (No comment necessary, I know...I know.)

Guys I'm nervous to take the second one up. I'm done building number 2. Salvaged electronics and motor and rebuilt another ARF. Everytime I start to fly I start to get the shakes with it.

I have experience (some) flying an electric E-Starter and also a gas Hobbico Avistar. I'm an AMA pilot and have gone through training. Although I still consider myself a beginner, there should be no reason why I can't fly this airplane.

The only difference I can see is the responsiveness of it and the speed. Is there anything else I should consider when flying this airplane? It will go vertical if I let it. Huge amounts of power and I've estimated at about 30 minute flights with my rig.

Any suggestions?

Reed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98328_37272.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	56133  
Old 08-02-2003, 01:21 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can, get the little foam Sukhoi from Wattage. HP have it on sale every once and a while for $40.00. The regular price is $60.00. It flys great with the stock motor and prop. The battery I used is a 720 nimh and I had lots of fun with it. You will not be as nervous as you are with the Cap. The amount of money you spend is equal to the amount of pucker factor you get.

Is there some one else who could do the maiden flight for you??? If all else fails pucker up and fly it and see what happens.

Dru.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:17 PM
Hugebass

Default First Flight...

I flew a newly constructed cap 232 today. 3s3p li-poly 10.8v 3600mah setup. Flew for about 30 minutes. It was excellent.

I went to my local ama field and used a buddy box with the plane. Had a trainer trim it for me and i'm up and going.

much better flight performance. this thing is a real fireball! Goes vert easy and has plenty of hitch in the get-a-long!

I'm feeling better since my crash, I had a chance to take off and land a couple times, still have the jitters, but feeling better.

The plane is flying great!
Old 08-28-2003, 03:58 AM
Kaoma
My Feedback: (4)

Where in Az are you? I might be worse than you...never flew any planes but I consider my first plane to be Wattage Cap232.
I have some (2-3 hrs.) time on the RF G2 with good results. I'm not afraid of crushing it...I consider it a quick landing...
Old 08-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It'll be a quick flight. 99.9% of the people that think they can start out flying a <name the twitchiest, most aerobatic, heaviest scale plane you can think of here> fail within a split second of takeoff.

I think you should rethink your strategy here and pick a more docile first plane. Yes, it won't be fast, flashy, or as "cool" as the CAP, but it'll last longer than it takes to blink, at least, long enough for you to actually learn something. You do want to fly, not smash up airplanes, right?

After a few hours on G2, you ought to be able to handle a GWS E-Starter. Then, once you've mastered flying in meatspace, you can go for the CAP with some confidence that it might survive more than one flight
Old 08-29-2003, 03:58 PM
LuckyArmpit

I agree with Matt here. I have about 18 models currently flying.
I fly from indoor to 05 brushless. IF the CAP is your first plane,
I'd let it sit for awhile until you get some flight time under your belt. Get something that is high winged like a Slow Stick or,
something very durable such as a T-52 from JK Aerotech.
If you intend on flying the CAP, adjust your control throws to minimum. Also on your TX, if its a computer radio, put the exponetial setting to about 50% or so. And, set dual rates down to about 50%. This way, when you hammer on the sticks, the ailerons/rudder/elevator won't move much thus giving you a more gradual turn or climb/dive. I start with these settings on every new model I fly until I get used to the way it flies.

Dave...
Old 08-30-2003, 04:59 AM
YZ-212

I'll concur with Matt Kirsch about the E-starter. In it's stock form this is an easy plane to fly not to mention cheap 40 bucks. I started out on a tiger moth and feel that the e-starter is as easy to fly as the tm just a little faster. I'm no expert here, but I feel the e-starter is a great trainer if your trying to teach yourself. I'm looking at buying a new plane, but have the same scared feeling you do, but i have peace of mind when out flying the e-starter and don't worry about smashing it up!