Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

how can i calculate what "C" rating battery to get

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

how can i calculate what "C" rating battery to get

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:21 AM
emederos
My Feedback: (78)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can i calculate what "C" rating battery to get

i dont know how to tell what "C" RATING is best for my powerhouse. I have the Power 32 motor but want to know how to find out if i get a 30C lipo will that motor draw enough current to discharge the 30C or not. I say this only because i really dont want to spend the extra money if i dont have to? Many people say it depends what the motor draws if the "C" rating will be applicable or not. I just want to know how to calculate this
Old 01-18-2011, 05:51 AM
whitecrest

Default RE: how can i calculate what

With today's batteries, selecting the right size battery is probably more important than worrying about the C-rating multiple. For general flying, you will need to draw only about 10C for 6 minutes of full-throttle flight which should translate into at least 10 minutes or more of cruising flight at less than full throttle. Most batteries today can easily handle a 10C draw.

Your motor can handle a continuous-current draw of about 42 amps, so an appropriate battery size should be about 4000mAh on 3S. Running on 4S (an available option for your motor), you could reduce that because you would not need as much current to produce a comparable power input. A battery of this size with a 20C rating would have plenty of burst-current capability and would be less expensive too.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
emederos
My Feedback: (78)

so a 20c shoud be more than enough? there is a way to multiply the mah and the c rating something like that to get the draw of the motor i remember a friend telling me about it to calculate what discharge rate the battery will do
Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

don't worry too much about C

For just about any application...
a quality battery pack of about 20c or more should be more than adequate....