Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Converting glow to elec, some questions.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Converting glow to elec, some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:18 PM
joeshmoe_44883
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting glow to elec, some questions.

I have a world models ,40 size ultimate bipe. Im wanting to do somethin different so i decided to go electric with it. first thought was to ask everyone on here. I've never converted a glow to electric so was wondering if anyone has and what system did they use in comparison to a .40 glow engine. what motor/prop/batt/esc did you use. Are there any tools that one can use to determine what size motor would be equivalent? thanks for any help! -joe
Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Converting glow to elec, some questions.

Joe, like this?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1124

or this?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3522370/tm.htm
Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM
joeshmoe_44883
My Feedback: (2)

Its the world models one, i would have never guessed that a purple would look that good on a bipe lol. Thanks for the links by the way! how do you know what the electric equivalent is of the glow engine? it cant be that hard cuz so many people are doing it, i just dont know where to start because i've used nothing but glow engines since i was 13.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:01 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe ... there is no real standard in EP like in GP. One of the best to use is the Eflite ... they call them Power 46 or Power 110 ... they use the GP equivalent. For you plane, the WM Ultimate is nice and small for a 40 sized plane. Now you need to decide on what sort of power you would like. Sport flying? Unlimited verticals? That will dictate what sort of batteries you want to own. Then you need to factor in where you are heading with EP? Later on, where will the power system go? What other planes will be batts be used for? Later if you were to go big, can they be used in series for a larger plane?

For me, I will say go with a 5S set up, maybe 5S 4,000 to 4,900. You will need some weight up front anyways. I say 5S because it will give a 40 sized plane very good performance. 4S is okay but its not exciting. Then later on you can run them in series as 10S for something in the 78"-84" range.

So for your Ultimate you can try something like this as a baseline guide:

Batt - 5S 4,900

Motor - look for something like the following AXI 4120/14 or /18, something like those China motors 4260 series of about 600KV, Rimfire 5055 - around 600KV

ESC - 60A or 80A, I enjoy the Turnigy Plush, they work great enough

Prop - 13x8 to 14x10
Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Dr Kiwi

One moderately useful "rule of thumb" to get ballpark equivalency of IC to electric is : watts = cubic inches x 2000.... so 800W would be a ballpark figure for a .40.