Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cessna 182 Skylane - electric w/ CG issue

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Cessna 182 Skylane - electric w/ CG issue

Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 PM
jstrach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cessna 182 Skylane - electric w/ CG issue

Ihave been working on assembling my Top Flite 182 Skylane and am getting pretty close to finished. (It's an ARFso it's not like some tremendous feat.) However, the plane won't sit on its tricycle landing gear; it's far too tail heavy. So I thought, well that's probably because the electric motor isn't mounted yet. But last night I mounted it, and I put the LiPo battery into the fuse - but alas the plane is still very tail heavy.

I'm running the ElectriFly Rimfire 50-65-450 brushless motor with the GPmotor mount - but both are pretty lightweight. The LiPo battery pack is also pretty light-weightas well. I grabbed my CGweights out of my brand new pack (6 oz.)and even with all those weights it still rests on its tail. It was only after I put a 2.5 lb. weight on the engine mount that she sat on her tricycle gear. Idon't think all 2.5 lbs are necessary (Ihope not), but I'm just curious what the manufacturer is thinking?

Because the power plant is electric I'm obviouslytrying to keep the weight down so I have a miniature / light-weight Rx; butthe Futaba servos are full-size so that's some weight but they're mostly in the tail portion of thewing (2 servos for ailerons and 2 servos for flaps)or they're past CGof fuse (rudder & elevator)- so all the servo weightis not really working for me, and probably just barely working against me.

I'll cut to the question: anybody out there build the TopFlite Cessna 182 Skylane and have a CGissue?If so, what did you do?(Other than the obvious"throw a ton of weight in the nose.") I find it difficult to believe that the CGis such an issue especially since I'm buying all the recommended items specified in the kit. Ican't believea gas powered motor and muffler would have a delta weight of 2+ lb's. Thanks in advance.<o></o>

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10309.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1560881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74096.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1560882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28676.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	83.0 KB