Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

lost in lipo help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:16 PM
MotoRocker
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost in lipo help

im just starting out and i need a few sugestions.. firsti bought a small heli was ok....then another one a little bigger ok to... with those i bought a dx6i..... then i went out and bought 2 micro foamy planes ...the wind is not nice to them...now ive seen a lot of nice 1400 mm electric planes that ive had my eyes on... even the 800 mm are nice ....now my friends father found out that i was getting into planes and he gave me a bunch of older nitro planes with engines and servos in them and nothing else..ive gottin a few of them fired up and running good.throtteling them by hand ...NOW... i went out and got me a Spektrum DX7... now ineed the rest a Reciever a Lipo Battery and Charger.... at the same time i will be buying the bigger Eletric planes andLipo batterys ...IM LOST can i use the Electric batterys for the nitro planes and just not hook up the big power wires ..Wich one are the best for what im into ....wich charger is good and theres way to many recievers REMEBER I HAVE A SPEKTRUM DX7 im so confused i cant remember how to spell wich seeSOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.. Dean

Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM
jzrf6c

Default RE: lost in lipo help

Motorocker,
Batteries need to be matched to their function. LiPo batteries are made for Transmitters (caution though) and receivers. The receivers can be used in bothe Nitro and electric although olded receivers may be to heavy for the new electrics. Normally, recievers use 4.8 to 6.0 volt batteries. These can be from 600 mah to 2600 mah. Transmitter batteries are usually the AA size batteries either Nickel metal Hydride(SP?) (NIMH) or nickel Cadium (NiCD). Lipo have been used by some people but the Manufactures say not to use them. The thing to remember is that you MUST use the corrent charger for the specific battery.

Either do a google search on the internet or better yet just visit a local hobby shop to have all the specific explained. There is a ton of "stuff" written on the batteries for RC.

Hope this helps some.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:39 AM
mobaddawg

If you need a Receiver i would suggest a AR7000. I'm pretty sure it is full range. I dont suggest a spektrum radio on a nitro plane. I think they are made more for park flyers. I would think a Futaba 6EX or Futaba 7C would work better. I don't think you should buy a Lipo battery for a reciever and servos. A NI-MH or NI-CD is a better choice JR (spektrums owner/other company) and Futaba sell batteries for RX's. The 6 channel RX's work fine on both the 6 and 7 channel transmitters. It's about $260 for a 6 ch. Futaba 6EX and about $320 for a 7C. Hope this helps!
-Andrew
-AMA 950101

Old 03-19-2011, 06:55 AM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know where Mobadog got his info but mostly it's wrong. All the major 2.4 radios are totally suitable for use in electic or any fuel type vehicles. I suggest you look in the batteries and chargers forum for info on batteries. Do research for all info on RC, it's all here.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Swift427

ORIGINAL: MotoRocker
..IM LOST can i use the Electric batterys for the nitro planes and just not hook up the big power wires ..Wich one are the best for what im into ....wich charger is good and theres way to many recievers REMEBER I HAVE A SPEKTRUM DX7 im so confused i cant remember how to spell wich see SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.. Dean
You need to get involved with a local flying club ... run your plane questions by an experienced electric pilot Club instructor. In the long run it will save you time, money and repairs. It would be well worth a few bucks to buy the guy a steak lunch to cut through the fat and get to the meat. The best and quickest way to minimize the confusion.

Be sure to hookup with an experienced ELECTRIC Pilot with a good measure of common sense. One example of CS would be an instructor that would see the Multiplex Fun Cub kit as plenty good for getting started ... 55" ws(1397mm) ... http://secure.hobbyzone.com/MPU214243.html

Always remember ... having FUN more important than impressing buddies ... keeping up with the Jones.