Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Standardizing battery connectors?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Scota4570

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Standardizing battery connectors?

I am just getting my feet wet on electric. I have a little spacewalker flying with a Super Tiger .10 system. I am using their ESC and battery. They use 3.5mm connectors both female on the battery. I have mostly built a old timer looking lightweight plane of my own design. I have a 375 size that will pull about 10 amps on it. I got some "Blue lipo" 1800MAH 11.1V batteries to use with both planes. The blue lipos have 4mm bullet connectors, one male an done female. My esc for the second plane has no connectors.

I think it is now time to standarize all this stuff. My charger and batteries. I really like the looks of the block connectors with the thumb latch. See the picture below. I see a lot of bullet connectors but the plastic guard is not indcluded. I will never pull over 30 amps. If I could get something from radio shack that would be a big bonus. There are not hobby shops in my area. I hate or make little mail orders due to shipping.

What is the prefered connector to standardize on?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96903.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1586059  
Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Standardizing battery connectors?

Don't waste your time or money on those Tamiya connectors. They are prone to loose connections due to the construction, and cause high resistance.

Either go Deans or EC3's with your birds. Dean's are a bit of a bugger for some to solder, and pull apart, but if done right you won't have that problem.
EC3's are the new kid on the block so to speak. Simpler to solder your wires to and easy to take apart.

If you have no shops nearby look to the major suppliers like Horizon/Tower/Hobby Lobby/ Hobby Town, in the US or Hobby King overseas. You'll pay more at Horizon and so on, but get the stuff a lot quicker. Hobby King is cheaper for the parts, but shipping is more money and takes longer to get to you.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Dsegal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

> I really like the looks of the block connectors with the thumb latch. <

Avoid these connectors like the plague. They were never intended to be connected and opened repeatedly as they get loose quickly, can heat up and blacken, and have even been reported to start a fire.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Stew99

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used those Radio Shack connectors to make some adapter cables for my lipo charger but I don't think I would use them in an airplane. They are even larger than the Tamiya connectors and don't look like they would hold up under much use. I use bullet connectors for the ECS to motor and Dean's ultras for the battery to motor. A guy at a swap meet had some connectors I really like. I don't know the brand but they are yellow with a sort of hat shaped housing. Much easier to connect and disconnect than the Deans.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:40 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Run from those connectors as fast as you can. They are about the worst ones out there.

I have been using Deans Ultra connectors. I can tell you, from the bottom of my heart. I hate them with every fiber of my being! Yes I hate DEANS!. With that said, they are a good connector. I just think there are a lot better ones out there.

Since you are just starting out. I would say to go power poles, EC3's or 3.5mm and 4.0 mm bullet connectors with the plastic protectors. I have just started changing everything over to the 3.5 and 4.0 bullets.

[link=http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A0320181&pid=S295748]power pole[/link] [link=http://www.acerracing.com/ball_bearings/Powerpole_Connectors_100_pair-567-80.html]Power Pole #2[/link]

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9625]EC3 connector[/link]

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9284]3.5mm connector[/link]

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9283]4.0mm connector[/link]

Buzz.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Scota4570

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I went with the EC3. I need to get some an on-line vendor. My hobby shop in the next town had only a few and also charged literally 10X what hobby king wanted.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:55 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have all my battery and charger connections standardized on Deans Ultra Plugs.  But EC3 plugs look good too.

When I get a battery, ESC or charger that has another connector, I just clip it off and put on the Deans Ultra Plug.