Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

New scratch built finished

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Scota4570

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New scratch built finished

I posted about connectors last week, I got EC3.

The plane shown is my own design. it is simmilar to somethng I made when I was 14. Back then one used a Cox .047 and "standard" size servos. I think I was flying 27 MHz. It did fly and provided lots of summertime fun.

This one uses a 375 size electric that draws about 11 amps. The battery is a 3c 1800 Ah lipo. The weight came out at 2# 2 oz. The wing area is 425 sq inches. That gives a wing loading of only 8.8 oz./sq foot. The airfoil is midway bwtween a clark y and a semisymetrical. It is 20% thick and the leading edge is pretty blunt. It has about 9* of dehedrial.

I flew it today. It was tail heavy but still very flyable. The motor has pleanty of power. I moved the CG foreward a bit and added some down thrust. I think it will be close to right next time. It is was easy to fly stable, slow and bleeds airspeed. Perfect for a trainer, IMHO.

As is my 6-year old son was able to fly it a bit on a buddy box. I am looking foreward to getting it dialed in and letting him fly it on a calm day. I think he'll catch on fast.

Thanks for the help on the motor selection and batery connector help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61088.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1588466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70372.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1588467  
Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: New scratch built finished

Very nice.  Lots of luck with it.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Scota4570

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New scratch built finished

Thank you.

I have about 20 flights on it now. It does to some odd things. Despite lots of down thrust it always pitches up at full speed. I can't figure that except that the airfoil I made has that property. Second, it does not self stabalize for roll. I have a bunch of dehedrial and it still eventually begins a death spiral. It is nothing that a tap on the rudder won't fix but it is annoying. I am thinking of a thinner airfoil and extra dehedrial on the outtermost 1/3 of the wing, like old timer free flight types.

It does fly for a really long time. It maintains altitude at 1/2 speed, about 2 amps. That is fun, it might be able to go 20-30 minuets on an 1800 mah battery. Boring but interesting.