Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is hobby zone planes all cracked up wat there suppose to be?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Is hobby zone planes all cracked up wat there suppose to be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:26 AM
Hotwings1357

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is hobby zone planes all cracked up wat there suppose to be?

Ye hi im new in electric plane flying. I recently picked up hobbyzones firebird xl. I went the next day to a field with my friend to have a first test flight it took off basically rite out of my hands but shortly after when it reached about id say an altitude og 100ft i made a turn the wind took hold of the plane ans it came smashing down to earth breaking the wing in half. so i went home disapointed.i went another time and it broke i duno wat im doing rong but it jus wont fly for me and it does some crazy turns when i dont want it too. Is this a good beginner plane like it says or shopuld i get another model to use. Well actually i did jus the other day purchase the firebird outlaw which i tyhoght maybe easier to fly. I havent flown it yet because weather has not been good. Please some 1 tell me a good model or tell me wat im doing rong thanks

Brian
Old 08-13-2003, 10:48 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Your biggest problem is that you're trying to fly in WIND. Wait for a calm evening. Downdrafts can slap virtually any plane out of the sky, even expensive ones.

IMHO, the Firebird series is an excellent series of planes. I wish they had these planes back when I was drooling over R/C planes as a kid. If there was a viable R/C plane for less than $150 back in the late 80's, it would've saved me a lot of heartache.

Just yesterday, a gentleman came to my club's training night with a Firebird Commander. With a little coaching, he was able to keep the plane in the air for several minutes at a time. So far, every one of these planes I've witnessed has flown well.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:40 PM
Hotwings1357

Thaks for ur help matt but how can i tell if its to windy to fly or jus perfect?
Old 08-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Most of the smaller electric planes prefer no wind at all. For my slow flyers, I use my freq flag on my antenna. If it's hanging at more than a 45deg angle, I don't fly my slow flyers.
For your first few flights of any plane, you should pick a day with no wind, that way you don't have the wind to contend with when trying to trim the plane and learning it's habbits.

After a while of flying a plane, you usually get used to knowing what it will handle and what it won't.

Jason
Old 08-13-2003, 04:26 PM
Hotwings1357

Thanks for the advice jayson ill deffinitly wait for a calmer day ive been waitin over a week to fly now cuz theres been a large storm system that jus passed a few days ago and winds had been up. ... I hate waiting