Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Turnigy Battery & Charger

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 PM
RCLT40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnigy Battery & Charger

I recently received at Turnigy Accuell-8150 battery charger and Turnigy s6 battery for my newest project.
I partly charge the batter last week and put it back on the charger just tonight. After it finished I check the voltage on each cell.
Here is the break down. 1) 4.21 2) 4.22 3) 4.21 4) 4.19 5) 4.18 6) 4.43. So cell is a bit high. Is this a problem? Is the battery defective or the charger?
I might add that when I charged the battery did not on us the balancing port that is on the charger. My next question would be if I can still us the batter without further issues to the battery?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Turnigy Battery & Charger

Yes, this is a big problem of bad imbalance. It's hard to tell whether the trouble is pack or charger. If we trust the volt readings then it is the pack and needs to be equaled out asap. It is also possible that the reading on cell 6 is suspect. How are you reading this voltage? To be sure of the reading use the same set of leads (the exact same display) to read every cell (read one right after the other and write them down)

If the readings are true then pull the pack down so that cell 6 has exactly 4.2 volt and charge 1-5 up to 4.2 volts each. (The pack just needs balanced)
Old 06-04-2011, 09:20 AM
RCLT40

Guver;
In reference to the voltage I have a meter that I plug into the balance plug so I'm guessing that the voltage reading is correct.
So shall I put the battery on the discharge fuction and to get it down to the same voltage the chage it back up?

I'll give that a try

Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 AM
guver

No amount of normal cycling,charging,discharging (in series) will help an imbalance. I'm guessing that your voltchecker may be reading a bit off. That should be verified first, then if the voltages are actually what you posted what I said above needs done to fix the pack.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 AM
RCLT40

I have have check the pack with two meters. The one that connects to the balancing plug and my watt meter that plug into the charging leads.
The watt meter reads 25.12 volts. If I take the readings from the meter connected from the binding plug 4.20, 4.21, 4.21, 4.19, 4.19, 4.40 and add them up it come to 25.39 volts. That's close to what the watt meter is reading. So I can plug my pack into my charger and discharge the pack as I blance correct?

thanks.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 PM
guver

I am not convinced that cell 4 is 4.4 volts. If , however it really is then it should be discharged down to 4.2 or less. The only problem with working w/ this pack as a whole is that when it is discharged the correct voltage cells are also going to go down. Cells 1-5 are almost ok balanced.

Here's how to be sure of the readings. Probe each cell's voltage with the same exact display (not a display that has 6 readings) Maybe you can use the watt meters display and probe each set of adjacent pins to check them all with the same exact display, right?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:10 PM
RCLT40

I only have a radio shack type volt meeter and it shows each cell as just under 5 volts.
The watt meter doesn't have the correct connector to measure the voltage from the balancing plug.
I'll need to fabracate something to check the voltage. Or just get a digital meter.
If I find that one cell is more than 4.2 volts how shall I lower the voltage of that one cell???
Old 06-04-2011, 03:09 PM
guver

It would have to be discharged with the balance connector. I use a servo lead (with two pins) with the housing cut off. I used to use large needles and alligator clamps , but there's chance of shorting those. I'm guessing that if you get that 6 cell close to the others then the charger can handle the balancing ok.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 PM
RCLT40

Thanks, I think I'll go ahead and take another voltage reading with a better metter before I proceed with dropping the voltage of a singel cell.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Itake it your charger doesnt have the smarts to balance the pack while charging. From what I understand, you should always balance the lipo packs while charging. Iuse a Thnder AC680 to charge mine, it charges each cell to 4.2 volts and stops charging when all reach the same voltage, it will draw down on those that have reached the peak, while the lower one(s) charge up.