Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

brushless thrust help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Banshee II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless thrust help

Hi homies
I have a - perhaps simply - question, so bare with me.
I have been looking up brushless motors and ducted fans for an upcoming project.
The motors list the amount of thust they can provide, but what is the vertical lifting power of the motor?

Like if the ducted fan + motor weighs 500g and has a thrust of 5kg, will it - in theory - be able to life 4.5kg?
Old 06-19-2011, 12:06 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: brushless thrust help

It depends on the weight of the plane and also the amount of lift the wings will generate. As a rule of thumb, a power plant the provides say 5 kg of thrust will lift a plane of 4.5kg with ease.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Banshee II

When calculating the lifting power (thrust?) of the brushless motor, I am only thinking vertical take off, there is no level flight in the scenario.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Sketchsketch9384

Then yes. It should be able to. But also you need to think of HOW it would achieve vertical flight, or are you just asking about the mathematics? if it is just mathematics, then I think that you would need to subtract the weight of the engine from the amount of thrust given, like you said.