Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Park flyer with ailerons...Which one and where to buy?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Park flyer with ailerons...Which one and where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 08:09 PM
barbados

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park flyer with ailerons...Which one and where to buy?

Hi, folks!

I'm not new to R/C, just electrics and need some advise.

I consider myself an intermediate pilot, built about a dozen glo planes, the latest four being 80" wingspan.

So, I want to go to the park near here and fly, but I'd like a full four channel plane so I can hone my flying skills, but would like a plane that is somewhat user-friendly and easily repairable (don't really want to reconstruct a ribbed balsa wing, but if I have to, I will).

Searched these forums and found the Slow Stick mentioned. It had available aileron cutouts.

Is this a good choice for my first electric?

What is the best on-line place to buy?

I appreciate any help that you could offer.

THANKS!

-dave-
Old 12-18-2002, 06:51 AM
Wright Flyer

Dave,

I know its balsa but believe me its the easiest balsa plane to build/repair you'll ever come across and it's arguably the best aerobatic PARK flyer there is.

I'm talking about the Moutain Models Switchback. It's a truly brilliant aileron park flyer. Goes just great on the stock GWS EPS300C motor/gb but even better with a brushless such as the Mega 16/15/6. It flies using either 7/8 cells of 600AE NiCds or 7/8 of the 720mAh NiMh cells. Everything you need is available from that web site.

I've got no connection with MM except that I've bought and built two of their Switchbacks and of about 10 e-planes I own this is my favourite by FAR.

Cliff
Old 12-18-2002, 11:43 AM
barbados

Thanks, Cliff! I think that's the one!

Wow, what an amazing little airplane. I can put the sport wing on until I get used to it and get it trimmed, then switch to the 3-D wing. Wonderful conception, yes?

I looks like a breeze to build, too.

Guess I'd better clean off the building table, think I just found a new project!

Thanks again!

-dave-
Old 12-18-2002, 11:37 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a little plane called Lil Hornet. It is a hallow foam wing with a stick fuse. Replace the balsa stick with a nice piece of carbon fiber from the start to save frustation. After 30 or so flights with a 7 to 8 cell 720 mah nimh pack, I burned up the motor so I upgraded the motor to a ball bearing 280 with a new gear box. I have been having so much fun flying this small plane that I have left the big ones hanging in the garage.

Lot of write ups about the Switch back and lil Hornet on rc groups for more tips and upgrades.

Dru.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:27 AM
Wright Flyer

Dave,

That's exactly what most people (including me) do with the Switchback. Get the first kit with the Sport wing and fly a really sedate (but still thrilling) aerobat and then when they're confident spend another $25 to get the 3D wing kit to add onto the existing fuselage. In fact what I did was when I went for the 3D I actually bought an entire kit including the 3D wing so I'd have a spare fuse in case of accidents. Having flown both wings (about 350 flights so far) I think I actually prefer the Sport over the 3D anyway.

Cliff
Old 12-19-2002, 07:39 PM
barbados

Thanks again, Cliff and Dru!

I like the looks of the Lil Hornet, too....

I can see that this electric stuff is as consuming as the glo stuff! I spent my lunch hour looking for suitable fields! LOL

The more I think about it, I think I'll need two planes...A traditional aileron job like the Switchback or Lil Hornet and a real slow one like the Slow Stick to fly in the back yard with the grandkids.

Have a couple of JR 8103 radios, so I think I'll get the 53MHz receivers from FMA and some JR micro servos and I'll be set.

It looks like the charger is all-important, too. SO many to choose from! Every thread I read, someone has one that is better than the other.....sigh. Oh, well, that's what makes this hobby so much fun...a steep learning curve that always holds one's interest.

And, oh yes, nice folks like you guys that took the time to help.

Thanks!

-dave-
Old 12-19-2002, 08:05 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me the BEST charger is the one that is EASY to use. I use a Dymond micro charger on my NIMH packs and a older CG335 Hitec for the NICD's.

You better watch out, I can see you starting to get sucked into the small electric planes. Next thing you will be selling off some of the fuel burners to pay for the elecitric ones.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

My Lil Hornet has Cirrus CS-10 servos(2) with a Cirrus MRX-4 micro single conversion reciever, 10 amp Dymond ECS, 8 cell 720 MAH NIMH pack, Acro speed 280 ball bearing motor turning a 6:1 reduction and the prop that comes with the motor g/b. It has a take off roll of 12 to 15 inchs and climbs at 80 degrees.

You can also convert small free flight planes to electric R/C. I spent $120.00 to convert a $12.00 electric free flight to 3 channel R/C. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRC86&P=7

The wallet is the only limit.

Dru.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Donald36
My Feedback: (35)

I have not flown the Switchback, but everyone seems to like it. Another top choice is the Crazy Max --- fast for its size, goes where you point it, and easily repaired. You can have it together and flying in two or three hours. Very tough, fully symmetrical wing. For $50 with motor the Crazy Max is a bargain. I have assembled and flown two of them --- good fun.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Bill L

COMANDO; What happened to the first Crazy Max, that you bought another one?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2003, 08:14 PM
fretless

Anybody out there flown the Hobby Lobby Split 280? I have seen some reviews by the pros, but would like an opinion of a flyer. It is a relatively cheap and supposedly nearly indestructable little plane with Aileron, elevator, and throttle control. I'm not sure if the lack of rudder makes a difference inthe long run, I know that I am not experienced enough to use both rudder and aileron at the same time very well.

Lee
Old 06-22-2003, 08:06 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

<hr>Originally posted by: barbados
Hi, folks!

I'm not new to R/C, just electrics and need some advise.

I consider myself an intermediate pilot, built about a dozen glo planes, the latest four being 80" wingspan.

So, I want to go to the park near here and fly, but I'd like a full four channel plane so I can hone my flying skills, but would like a plane that is somewhat user-friendly and easily repairable (don't really want to reconstruct a ribbed balsa wing, but if I have to, I will).

Searched these forums and found the Slow Stick mentioned. It had available aileron cutouts.

Is this a good choice for my first electric?

What is the best on-line place to buy?

I appreciate any help that you could offer.

THANKS!

-dave-<hr>

So, Dave, what did you get?
Old 07-07-2003, 07:44 AM
barbados

Well, I haven't completely commited yet, but it looks like the Switchback is at the top of the short list.

I was trying to sort-out the battery/charger/motor/ESC issues before I took the plunge, but every time I research them, I get set back a few steps.

Went ahead and bought the Triton charger and a few 7-cell battery packs to practice on, but haven't been able to conquer the Triton. I'm more unsure with it than a simple C/10 wall wart.

Guess I shouldn't be so worried and just jump in....the answers eventually arrive, yes?

Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions.....I'll let you know (with MORE questions! LOL).

-dave-