Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help choosing a motor / esc combo for super skybolt conversion

Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Help choosing a motor / esc combo for super skybolt conversion

Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 AM
samejia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Help choosing a motor / esc combo for super skybolt conversion

Hello guys, im planning on getting a GP super skybolt soon and making an electric conversion, id like to know what motor/ esc would you use ive seen the axi 4130/16 used a lot but how about a rimfire .80 or eflite .60 i want a decent and strong setup with around 10 min flights on 2 3s batteries on series. Thank you all so much for any input

Santiago
Old 07-21-2011, 08:14 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Help choosing a motor / esc combo for super skybolt conversion

AXI 4130/16 is good with a 6S 3,300 set up, can be higher capacity if you want for more duration. The prop would be a 16x10 for starters and it will pull around 60A WOT. If that is what you want then get an 80A ESC once and for all. But the plane is a 60 sized one coming in at 8 lbs so do not expect 3D performance, it will give you very good sports flying for sure. If you want 10 min flights, you need to try something in the 5,000 mAh pack range, again depending on how you fly her. Easy or hard ...
Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 PM
samejia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thank you so much for your reply, the plane is not intended for 3d and its not really my flying style i´m looking for a decent sport performance, i think the axi is the way to go eventhough its a bit expensive lol i want some good vertical performance and nice power just in case, not sure how hard it would be to fit 2 5000mah 3s packs in there and how the weight will balance up but i guess its worth a try again thanks,

btw would the 77amp esc be enough, this will be my first electric lol

Santiago
Old 07-22-2011, 03:25 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Santiago ... those guys flying the Fliton Extra 330 weigh in at 6.75 lbs. Those who use the AXI 4130/16 fly on 6S 3,300 packs. They get safely 6 mins of flight time with all that hovering etc. The plane balances fine. Now your Skybolt is a 60 sized plane, the engine is much heavier and 5,000 mAh packs may do well ... again you have an issue with battery access. Its a bipe ... not a monoplane. I did use the AXI 4130/16 with 6S on the World Model Super Chipmunk, of which is a 60 sized plane, the power was good for aerobatic flying but now with 30C or 45C packs it will be much more fun.

I don't see you having much space to access the packs from the area behind the cowling, its not that large an area is it with the center strut in the way? Maybe open up the bottom of the cowling a bit to place the packs there as the tunnel for the exhaust will assist. Then with 5,000 mAh packs she may be nose heavy.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 AM
samejia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thank you for your reply... yes since the airplane is only originally intended for glow, some modifications will be required, access to the battery is what i fear the most, ive seen some build threads around and they generally do what you are saying, cut the fuselage behind the cowling. How about 2 4000mah 3s batteries (30c) f i get the same 6-8 mins of flight time it would be great.

thanks for your great help

ps. how about the cheap HK turnigy motors and esc just wondering since they are so much cheaper.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:55 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been using the Turnigy Plush ESCs a lot and I got no issues with then even when pushing it to 1200W, they are great. Get the 80A one. As for the motors, you get what you pay for, they are cheap because they will not take abuse. I do like the Dualsky ones but check out the new motor and see what KV is suitable, their last series equivalent to the 4130-16 had too low a KV and it would only run well on 6s with at least a 17x10 or even an 18x8. What I dislike about the AXI is the gold plating will tarnish, I keep mine oiled with light machine oil.

Look at the reviews on HobbyCity motors, the gold ones are not too great. Many say the SK series is decent. Try a Scorpion or even a Rimfire, both are sweet. But if you got the cash to spend, I love Plettenberg motors. Hackers are sweet too. I think 4,000 mAh packs would be good.

You can get the motor mount from Great Planes, they are nice and sturdy if not make stand offs like what is used for gas engines but remember to make a bigger base for it to be stable. DualSky sells stand offs of various lengths.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 AM
samejia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks again for all your help and im sry for all the ?? so how about the rimfire .80 on 6s with the turnigy 80A esc i want to have lots of power and a nice vertical performance (unlimited?) will this give me the power i want? again thank you so much

Santiago
Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Santiago ... GP has a different way in how they recommend motors. I believe that their philosophy is to get the motor turning a prop as if it were a glow engine. High RPMs. Most EP guys prefer to take advantage of the torque an electric motor has and we tend to turn bigger props at lower RPMs. If you were to look at the recommended motor such as the GPMG 4740, the KV is 500, the recommended prop is a mere 15x8 or 15x6. The AXI 4130-16 is only 385KV and it will happily turn a 16x10 or 17x10 if the ambient temp is cool ...

If you were to go with a 17x10 then you will enjoy the thrust for uplines and loops, you can pull huge loops. I would like to see a 17x10 turning about 6,500 RPMs for your plane. That would be a nice baseline to start with.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 AM
samejia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so 4130-16 instead of the rimfire and ill get a 16x10 and a 17x10 with some modding needed on the landing gear thank you so much for your help, i really apreciate it look forward to a great fliying plane and as soon as i get it on the air ill report back with its performance
Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Santiago ... see if the Rimfire of the same dimensions got something in the lower KV ... all the best!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 PM
samejia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey tianci, the only similar one with a lower kv i can find is the eflite power 90 how would that work with a 100a turnigy esc on 6s? 

Santiago
Old 07-25-2011, 01:35 PM
samejia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey tianci, the only similar one with a lower kv i can find is the eflite power 90 how would that work with a 100a turnigy esc on 6s? 

Santiago
Old 07-26-2011, 04:47 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmmmm ... 325KV ... need to find out how many amps she will pull with a 17x10. I suspect its an 8S motor ... prob would work on 6 but how many amps will it pull? I suspect on 6S she is best with an 18x8 ... is that prop suitable for your plane?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:24 AM
samejia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think 16 is the limit with minor modifications but i dont mind working on the gear a little plus 18 might be achieved by just changing the tires. can use 2 4 cell in series

Are 4 cells heavier than 3 cells?
Santiago
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the same capacity, 4 cells are heavier but not that much more. You got a bipe there ... some weight is nice, things that are too light don't always fly that great.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:14 PM
samejia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lol so what would you power it with of all the motors weve discussed here for massive power and vertical performance? and thank you so much once again

Santiago
Old 07-27-2011, 04:58 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Santiago ... if it were up to me, I would enjoy the AXI4130/16 on 6S 3,300 or 4,000 packs for sport flying. If I want crazy power I would go with something like a 300KV motor that is one one class above the 4130/16 on 8S and turning a 17x8. But think about your packs ... what will you do with it when you have moved on from the bipe ... 6S means 50/90 class planes ... 8S means 91/110 class planes. Think about that too. You have tons of 50 class planes for 6S, look at Sebart, EF and all. There is a growing number of 8S planes out there now, the 78" ones. They are sweet to fly. I enjoy the EF Extra 78".