Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

ubec and rx pack - at the same time?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

ubec and rx pack - at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 04:22 PM
khymlawrence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ubec and rx pack - at the same time?

can i power my rx with ubec set at 5v and also plug a 4cell NIMH (4.8v) battery at the same time?.. thanks
Old 12-11-2011, 05:51 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ubec and rx pack - at the same time?

Why? Use one or the other, not both.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 PM
jw357_23043
My Feedback: (16)

I would not do that if I were you. If you use both at the same time a brownout can occur especially if you're using Spektrum gear. I lost a plane that way on maiden day. Bad idea!!!
ORIGINAL: khymlawrence

can i power my rx with ubec set at 5v and also plug a 4cell NIMH (4.8v) battery at the same time?.. thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a good idea, one or the other will almost always be at a different potential than the other one is which can cause all sorts of problems. Now, if you used a 5 cell battery pack and isolated both from the bus with a diode, you could safely have them both connected as then only the higher voltage would be powering the bus. Still not a good idea as the diodes would have to handle the maximum current ever drawn, would add complexity and be another source for failure.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:51 AM
jw357_23043
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Not a good idea, one or the other will almost always be at a different potential than the other one is which can cause all sorts of problems. Now, if you used a 5 cell battery pack and isolated both from the bus with a diode, you could safely have them both connected as then only the higher voltage would be powering the bus. Still not a good idea as the diodes would have to handle the maximum current ever drawn, would add complexity and be another source for failure.
My thoughts exactley. I was running a cc 100amp esc with a bec pro. I bought the plane used and failed to inspect it closely. The previous owner had decided not to mention the fact that the esc reciever hot wire had not been removed when the bec pro was installed. As any modeler knowledgable in electrics knows that this feature needed to be removed or a voltage drop will occur. Needless to say my EF Extra went nose first into the dirt instead of recovering from a normal stall turn due to a brown out. Now I run an external pack and did away with the bec altogether. I say if you're looking to run an extra pack it's pointless to have them both plugged in as the whole objective is to fly the plane down safely in the event of a main pack flameout.