Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Help with ESC

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
europatc74
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ESC

This is a general question about ESC'S Once you initially calibrate the throttle, can you delete the setting and start over. I see nothing in instruction sheet about recalibrating throttle. I do see info about resetting to factory settings but nothing about throttle calibration after initially setting. Thanks Dave
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Help with ESC

It's going to depend on the specific esc. Any of them that can calibrate throttle range can be "re calibrated" later. There are others that have no calibration and then there are others that calibrate at every power up. There's probably more types than those too.

The only thing I don't know about is "deleting"
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

I've had a few esc's that you could set the calibration every time you powered them up. And not a good thing at times. If the throttle stick wasn't in the fully off position when the esc was powered up that position became the new off. Put the stick to the bottom and then start to move it up and nothing would happen till you passed that spot.

Easily corrected by unplugging the esc, then recalibrating it.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM
cubaneight

I must have half a dozen ESCs from a variety of manufacturers and they all calibrate their throttle settings in the same manner. (Remember that Futaba use a reverse throttle signal). The procedure can be repeated as many times as you like, effectively deleting the previous setting.

1. ESC off, TX on with throttle at max setting.
2. Power ESC, ESC beeps, quickly move throttle stick on TX to minimum, ESC beeps again, throttle range set.

If the ESC is ever powered up with the throttle stick above previously set minimum, ESC will beep continuously and motor will not arm - moving the throttle trim up accidentally can cause this.

Don't forget to have the model securely fixed down and keep fingers well away from prop when setting the ESC. Mistakes are easily made and it's no joke to have a model start up when you're not expecting it (ouch!).