Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Quick Remove Cowl?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Dstrass
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Remove Cowl?

Hey,
Now that I converted my CMP Hellcat to Electric, I'd like to find a system to quickly fasten and remove my cowl so I can change batteries.
My full size Cessna has 1/2 turn fasteners.
Is there anything like that in RC?
Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:29 AM
jzrf6c

Default RE: Quick Remove Cowl?

I've seen that some of the more recent ARFs are just using strong magnets. How big is your plane?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Dstrass

Hey,
Thanks for that info. It's a 71" CMP Hellcat from Nitro planes.
The powerful magnet idea sounds interesting, but, I think I'd feel safer with something the locks in.
You don't want a wind gust to pull that cowl off during flight.
I'd love to find miniature 1/2 turn fasteners like on the full size planes..
Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 PM
sarks757

Heh all-Despite my SPORATIC appearance on this site-I am diligently trying to get my CMP Hellcat going......My biggest problems have been (1) I see the Sierra Retracts dont come close to fitting. THe gear air cylinder cross section doesnt' allow the gear to fit in the well area, even if I were to cut away even deeper with the dremel and leave virtually NO spar remaining. Yes, I would of course bridge the remaining spar with a carbon-fiber based reinforement -theres NO room at all for spar depth. Im going to robart retracts out of no choice. 2). Im going with the OS 1.20 FS, and swing the scale three bladed Master Airscrew prop. Any setbacks??

>>>>>-I would like to go electric but what size motor and battery packs are you folks running. ??

Im not goiing with the wire tailwheel(3) which complicates the construction a bitI built the internal ply housing aft in the fuselage, to secure the tailwheel mount. I placed the support structure for the tailwheel in a "scale" position. I was going to run a pullpull system for that....suggestions>// It's more "scale" further foRWARD than the stock wire tailwheel. Does anyone kknow who makes the scale cockpit kits? I have an ole Zoller models F6F cockpit kit-it's beautiful. I have a million F6F photos-as my Dad was on the USS Yorktown-CV-10. Many Hellcats onboard there..in '43'45.

Also, doing the CMP Japaneese Zero.

Thank you all in advANCE. eSPECIAlly on the gear fitting issue.

Anyone know of an electric setup for the CMP HellcAT.

Sincerely,
EDward A. Sarkisian
Avid F6F hellcat builder, TBF Avenger and SBD Dauntless. dreaming on,.....
Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Dstrass

Hey Ed
ORIGINAL: sarks757

Heh all-Despite my SPORATIC appearance on this site-I am diligently trying to get my CMP Hellcat going......My biggest problems have been (1) I see the Sierra Retracts dont come close to fitting. THe gear air cylinder cross section doesnt' allow the gear to fit in the well area, even if I were to cut away even deeper with the dremel and leave virtually NO spar remaining. Yes, I would of course bridge the remaining spar with a carbon-fiber based reinforement -theres NO room at all for spar depth. Im going to robart retracts out of no choice. 2). Im going with the OS 1.20 FS, and swing the scale three bladed Master Airscrew prop. Any setbacks??

>>>>>-I would like to go electric but what size motor and battery packs are you folks running. ??

Im not goiing with the wire tailwheel(3) which complicates the construction a bitI built the internal ply housing aft in the fuselage, to secure the tailwheel mount. I placed the support structure for the tailwheel in a ''scale'' position. I was going to run a pullpull system for that....suggestions>// It's more ''scale'' further foRWARD than the stock wire tailwheel. Does anyone kknow who makes the scale cockpit kits? I have an ole Zoller models F6F cockpit kit-it's beautiful. I have a million F6F photos-as my Dad was on the USS Yorktown-CV-10. Many Hellcats onboard there..in '43'45.

Also, doing the CMP Japaneese Zero.

Thank you all in advANCE. eSPECIAlly on the gear fitting issue.

Anyone know of an electric setup for the CMP HellcAT.

Sincerely,
EDward A. Sarkisian
Avid F6F hellcat builder, TBF Avenger and SBD Dauntless. dreaming on,.....
I used an E Flite 110 motor, Castle Phoenix HV85 ESC, 2, 4S 3300 Mah, lipos, with a 18X10 prop. Flies scale but larger prop will ground strike.

The motor is turned around, shaft forward, with a TruTurn 10mm shaft adaptor, parts number: TTE-0125-A-315 with the TTN-0875-A-125.
I had to make spacers so the prop would be forward enough for the hub to not bottom out on the limited threads on the 10mm TruTurn shaft.

I'm using a 1.5" standoff with a custom made 3" thick aluminum tubing and allthread with nylon nuts and locknuts.

I'm using Century Jet 90 deg rotating air Giant scale Hellcat Retracts.

Note: You must cut a hole, forward of the tail wheel, in the underside of the empennage, and strengthen the INSIDE of the tail with spruce and epoxy stringers otherwise at high speeds, the entire vertical and horizontal stabilizer will flutter.

Please forward pics of your successful setup!
Hope this helps.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92235.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1846034