Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Great Planes - L-39 Albatros - "Need Some Advice on Components"

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Great Planes - L-39 Albatros - "Need Some Advice on Components"

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes - L-39 Albatros - "Need Some Advice on Components"

Hi Guys,

I have been flying for a long time, but this is my first electric. I was given a Great Planes L-39 Jet. Although it looks pretty cool, so far I am interested in getting it together but I need some help with certain componenets. I have a new FlightPower LiPo EONX 30 3S 11.1V 1200mAh 30C battery for it and a Thunderbird 36-Brushless speed speed control. I need advice on a small Futaba, Hitec GWs or similar type of Receiver. I have Futaba 9C Super with Expansions so I am tied in deep so I am not going for any 2.4Gig Technology at this time yet. So I need some kind of Receiver that will fitthat is smal but light.

I also understand or maybe not quite I have been told that I need some kind of Great Planes ElectriFly Equinox LiPo Cell Balancer to put in place between my charger and and Lipo Battery. With that in mind, the following:

I have The "Accu - Cycle Pro Series Elite" Charger that charges - Ni-Cad's, Ni-Mah's and Lipo's, so I am not sure if I need this Great Planes ElectriFly Equinox LiPo Cell Balancer as well. I was also told that I need to have Great Planes ElectriFly Eqx 3S Hi-Power Adapters FP (3) also which again I am not sure why. Do I need both or is this overkill? I am not sure if I am over reading or geting false info from too many people that don't know what they are talking about or maybe they are really smart.

From what I can see the "Accu - Cycle Pro Series Elite" Charger should be able to charge the battery on it's own. If there is a need to balance the cells because of the way Lipo's charge and or dis-charge, then adding these additional cell balancers is where it gets a little fuzzy for me.

So can someone explain which of the Power adapters is required or is it a nice thing to have but not needed, or is the battery( the Flightpower mentioned above) chargeable with the Accu-Cycle. I just want to have a little fun with this plane I am not going to start with a whole fleet of electrics. I will neve trade in the Q-500 and the quarter scale Gas guzzlers for the electrics but its another avenue to have some fun with. It would be nice to have it built and ready to fly in the back of the car and just pull it out and go fly on my way home from work one day. Something you can't do easily with a Gas Guzzler. I also don't want to burn out the battery by improper charge techniques trying to save $20.00 / $25.00 bucks....

Thanks in advance for the info.

Eddie