Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dynam P51D Mustang Motor Powering Off

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Dynam P51D Mustang Motor Powering Off

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:13 PM
jowalmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynam P51D Mustang Motor Powering Off

Santa brought my son the Dynam P 51. Maiden flight using stock battery gave no problems. The flight was short for triming: I had to land the plane a few times to get the elevator linkage adjusted. In the end, a short flight. In other words, it wasn't a 5 minute flight of full throttle. The intent of the flight was to get it trimmed so that I could let my son fly.

Second flight followed as soon as I was able to change battery. I used an 11.1, 2650mah, 30C battery. I took it off, got to altittude, then handed the transmitter to my son. In his first turn, the motor throttled back without any stick input. I took the transmitter back, lowered the throttle stick and raised it again. The motor came on and continued for 1/2 of a curcuit then shut off again. Lowered and raised the throttle stick again brought the motor back and I immediately landed the plane. I tried to recreate the situation on the ground and could not. Voltage was fine on the meter; cells read: 3.93, 3.93 and 3.96. Note, the second pack was not fully charged before we left to fly.

The plane does not have an air pathway to vent heat so I'm thinking maybe the ESC overheated. I'm also thinking it is also possible that the low-volt shut off engaged too soon. Input anyone?? Thanks.

Jim

Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Dynam P51D Mustang Motor Powering Off

It's possible that the partially charged battery was going below the ESC's low limit when under load.