Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

clunking noise

Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Mr Ammo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking noise

I have a unique situation when flying large motors.
I am flying a 72 inch Sbach with a mega 160, Castle HV80 and 10 cell 3000mah. 20 x 10 prop

When I fly the model on any downlines, and regulate the throttle to zero then add throttle in the pull out, I get a large clunking noise. Inspecting the motor for play eliminated this as the culprit.

Could the engine with a large prop, free wheel until the esc allows voltage to go to the motor then the motor either break the freewheeling or try to speed the motor up faster? Creating the clunking?
Sometimes the motor will squeal, usually if I move the throttle to full rpm when the motor is free wheeling. Ideas??
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts
Default RE: clunking noise

The sqealing is the throttle response setting in the ESC programming
Old 02-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Mr Ammo

Throttle response setting?? Are referring to timing? I have experienced squealing from other power set ups, different configurations and always thought this was the motor trying to out run the esc,or visa versa..
The clunking is annoying and I dont think healthy for the setup.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm not sure about the clunking, sounds like one of those things I'd have to see.

There's a setting in the Castle Link that defines how fast the ESC response to throttle stick movement. Bring it down a few clicks. I dont have CL installed on this laptop or I'd tell you exactly what it was. I had the same thing with my Husky, move the throttle stick too fast and it would squeal and stop the prop till I brought it back down to idle. Clint from Castle straightened it out for me with one phone call.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Mr Ammo

Thank You! I will check it out and let this thread know!