Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

tower hobbies vista glider

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:53 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tower hobbies vista glider

i have a tower hobbies vista glider. 550 brushed motor and esc come with it. don't have the money to go brushless right now. i have a 2200 mah li-po 3-s 11.1 volt from my stryker that i fly alot. i want to use this in my glider. the esc will only handle 8.4 volts. the motor will handle about 9.6 or 10 volts with no burnout problem. how can i use my li-po instead of the 8.4 volt nimh or ni-cad battery they recommend. is there a droping resistor i can use between battery and esc or something else............thanks alot for any help...........RON
Old 07-01-2012, 01:33 PM
geeter

Default RE: tower hobbies vista glider

going brushless, found a setup cheap............RON
Old 07-04-2012, 07:06 PM
geeter

rebuttle..........the 450 brushless didn't work out. can't get it. anyway i have the glider 550 brushed motor and a 20 amp brushed esc. want to use my li-po of 11.1 volt 3 cell. 2200 mah, to fly it. nimh are to heavy and drop voltage fast. would never buy a 8.4 volt 7 cell for 25.00 for this plane anyhow. can i drop the voltage on my 11.1 li-po and use it ? motor can take 10 volts or so but not 12.5 from a fully charged li-po. also speed control is designed for not over 8.4 volt nimh or nicad. can take 10 volts not 12.5. would buying a 7.4 lipo 2 cell work ? these peake at around 9 volts, not to much voltage but would lack power on just 9 volts. the rpm would not be very high. the glider must be able to climb good........any thoughts..........RON
Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 AM
geeter

i keep answering myself .......but i have the stock glider with the brushed motor and esc. the 11.1 volt 2200 mah li-po powers it great. thought it would burn the motor or esc up but it works good. has all kinds of power too.....RON
Old 07-07-2012, 07:30 AM
JohnShe

You need a proper voltage regulator, but I don't know where you could find one that can handle the current. A dropping resister won't work because of the heat involved an the variation in impedance that occurs in the ESC as you advance or retard the throttle.

Try a 2 cell, that is what Iuse with my Spectra and a 600 motor.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM
RadianFlyer

hey Geeter...so it has been a few mos...has the 11.1 2200 mah battery combo on the stock electrified Vista continued to run strong for you? I had a Vista glider(st it up with an old radian motor)and I love it till in one unexplainable moment ALL the gods of RC yanked it out of the Sky. If planes have seizures...that was one of them. total destruction for no apparent cause. ANYWAY......I am going to order another Vista and would prefer to get it already set up with motor and prop this time IF (as my concern is the same as yours was)I can use my 2200 11.1 lipos in.

If I have to change the motor out...it still may be better to go that way...but just curious if the stock motor has lasted uinder the extra voltage you have given it?

Hope to here back from you soon. Vista is a wonderful glider. I even flewthe one I had(many hours on thatglider)with a 2650 mah battery if the wind was up a bit(11 by 6 Graupner cam prop on a 960 kv motor) and it flew wonderful. My buddy has one and we both found it flew a bit better with trailing edge of the wing raised 1/8". Seems to fly a bit more stable that way. look forward to YOUR report. Missing the Vista! Great plane and the cost cannot be beat.