Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

field charging lipos

Hi all, I want to be able to charge my Lipo batteries at our field. We have no power there. 12v or 24v deep cycle batteries are what I want to use. I don’t want a genset, tough. I have a 730i Hyperion charger.

>>

>>

What works? And, how do you figure out how many batteries can be safely charged from a deep cycle battery?>>

>>

Rudy>>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: field charging lipos

The PB battery has a watt hour rating. That is the basic limiting factor. The deep cycle battery just means that you can discharge it a bit further than a conventional automotive battery.
    The charger comes into play because it may be able to charge a LiPo battery to a higher voltage than the power source battery. My chargers can do this, and use standard automotive electrical systems as a power source. (~13-14 Vdc) in, and about 22vdc out (6 Lipo cell packs) to be charged.
    Lets say that I have a 5000mah lipo to charge. It should not be completely discharged, so I'd guess 3000-4000mah as the needed charge.
    Then there is some loss in the charger, and if a balance charge is done. So, I'd go back to 5000mah as more or less the maximum expected
    energy needed from the power source battery. A small lawn tractor battery might be a 24AH battery, and I'd expect to get about four or so charges
    before it needs charging.