Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

A bit disappointed in the Dynam Sky Trainer

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

A bit disappointed in the Dynam Sky Trainer

Old 07-17-2012, 12:47 AM
DCSouthwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit disappointed in the Dynam Sky Trainer

Got my Dynam Sky Trainer yesterday and I must say I was disappointed. First off this being a "RTF" for some reason I was expecting a Ready To Fly rather than a ARF. There was a good 2 hours work before being close to ready. Second, I found the broken English, poor translated, instructions to be very hard to follow. Some just made no sense at all. The decals were poorly stamped and didn't match the instructions or even the picture on the box. First thing I did was to try and charge the battery which didn't work. The charger was faulty. I happened to have another 11.1V charger for my helicopter that worked. After 4 hours of work I got it ready to test the radio and electronics. As soon as I plugged in the receiver I hear a loud squeal from the plane only to see smoke coming from the cowl and smell burning wire. I believe the motor is fried now I've got to try and get the broken stuff, motor and charger, replaced from on on-line company I purchased it from. This is the 37" wingspan model. I also ordered the 51" wingspan Dynam 182 RTF that should be hear today. I sure hope this one fairs better.

The picture on the box and instructions.

The actual plane.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Chucksolo69

Default RE: A bit disappointed in the Dynam Sky Trainer

Let me guess, Hobbyking? NitroPlanes? Banana Hobby? Anyway, sorry to hear about your problem. What you describe can happen to any model, but for some reason, those cheap Chinese knockoff brands are the most problematic. I have only bought planes from Horizon Hobby, Parkzone and Hobbyzone stuff. I have bought planes from Tower Hobbies, Flyzone stuff. I have never had a problem with either of those brands and Horizon and Tower stand behind their products. Often the online prices for the stuff coming from Hong Kong can be compelling. When something goes wrong though, it is like pulling teeth to get a replacement or refund. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 AM
DCSouthwind

Got them both from a place in Arizona. They sent me an email today, which I was happy to see, asking me to identify whether it is a ESC or motor issue and they would "make it right". I put the battery in and when I plugged it in the motor took off so I'd say it must be the ESC. I can turn the throttle off(by the on/off switch at the bottom of the radionot the throttle control)on the radio and the motor stops. I turn it on and the motor runs full throttle. The throttle control on the radio does not change the motor speed. All other controls work fine. I sent them back an email saying I thought it was the ESC so I guess I'll see what happens. I could always use the on/off on the radio to turn the motor on and off LOL.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM
DCSouthwind

UPDATE:

Got another email from the very helpful person from the Arizona shop. Seems Dynam is a bit different and the bonding procedure is to plug in the battery first and then turn on the transmitter. When you turn on the RX you've got to turn on the TX before the first beep of the RX. Once they bonded everything worked fine including the throttle. I looked over the direction and they all say to turn on the TX first. :shrug:

I took it out for a fly but it was just too windy. Taxied for a bit but the wind kept blowing it over.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Chucksolo69

Yeah, it's the same with Spektrum TX/RX binding. You need to plug the battery in on the plane first to power up the RX, then pull the trainer switch forward, andTHEN turn on the TX (Oh, don't forget the bind plug!). After the TX is bound to the RX though, It is ALWAYS best to turn on the TX BEFORE plugging the battery into the plane. I learned this to be good practice years ago when I first started with RC cars and mechanical speed controls. Let us know how the Dynam flies. Ihave been eyeing a Dynam plane as my next plane.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:07 AM
DCSouthwind

Well I got all my birds ready. The bigger Dynam Sky Trainer(50" wingspan) was a little easier to build but I still feel it should be rated a ARF rather than a RTF. Really love the lines. Looks like it should be a great flier in light wind. I also bought a E-Flight Apprentice 15e after seeing it was a highly rated self-trainer. The E-Flight was truly a RTFin my opinion. Quality well designed plane. One thing I don't like about the E-Flight is no AC charger only a charger for a 12v source. Whats up with that? Can't wait to get the Bigger Dynam and the Apprentice out flying if the wind will just cooperate.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:29 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say, if you see "RTF" This just means everything should be in place. You still have to check everything over to make sure it is working the way it should.

ARF means it is mostly built and you have to put in the radio gear, motor and hook up all of the surfaces. About 1/2 way between a kit and having it ready on the runway.

Even the higher priced RTF's need a look over to make sure they are finished and ready to fly. I do not trust some one working in a factory to put it together perfectly.

I have this foam Cessna. It flies through almost anything. I have had it in the air with 25 mph wind. Funny to watch it fly backwards down the runway. I spent about 45 minutes making sure the links were adjusted, surfaces set, no binding in the hinges, checked the right and down thrust and so on.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...-blue-arf.html

Looks like you need to get a radio that has a lot of memory to hold all of your planes. That way you need one Tx to fly them all.

Buzz.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:36 AM
DCSouthwind

I generally do what I call trimming on them before I go for any flying. I do a visual inspection and control test and then take them out and do some taxiing and short liftoffs to set the trims. I then take it home and readjust all the clevises so that neutral is as close to straight taxiing/flying as possible.

Years ago I used to fly the Cox foam 049 Cessna a lot. Loved the simple easy to fly, and build, design. I just feel to call a plane RTF shouldn't require 2-3 hours to finish. I've seen many RTF's advertise 5 minutes from box to RTF. I guess I expected that from these RTF's. Putting on decals and gluing parts takes quite a bit of time. The E-Flight Apprentice 15e was pleasant to finish while the 2 Dynam's were a challenge.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:26 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What we call ready to fly and what they call ready to fly are about 2 hours apart.

I flex the control surfaces to make sure they move freely. I had one plane that a 60 ounce torque servo would have struggled with. I spent 10 minutes flexing it before it softened up. Would have stripped the gears or crashed it because the servo could not move the surface.

You could take it out of the box and fly it. Might not fly that well or that long, but it would fly. We just want them to fly WELL.

In the end you ended up with a nice flying plane. I like to kit the kits where I pout all of the stuff together. That way I know they are done well.

Buzz.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Chucksolo69

I see the middle plane is modeled on a Cessna 182 Skylane. I have one of the Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane Select Scale models and I am just reluctant to fly it because it looks so pretty. Let us know how the flights go. I am interested to see how your Skylane flies.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:00 PM
DCSouthwind

I really like the Dynam Sky Trainer(50" wingspan) design as well. Nice clean lines. I've had them all out flying and the 182 flies well but fast. Requires a much faster taxi speed to liftoff than the Apprentice 15e or the smaller Dynam Sky Trainer. Handles the wind much better than the Apprentice.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:18 AM
startazz

Some good looking planes you have there in your hanger DCsouthwind,i to like to buy the cheaper planes than spending all my money on the big named brands (plus the missus is getting fed up with it),i've been there done that and to be honest you can always get a plane from any where which could have a problem,so don't let the name or low price put you off because i've had some good results with the cheaper versions out there.
When i first got into the hobby i started with HH/PZ and they were mostly fine planes even if the price was a bit high for me,but i can remember my first PZ P-51 (brushless version not the older one) mustang which looked the part,had about three/four flights with it when down she came because i had no elevator control,not a pretty sight at all and it turned out that the foam hing had came away so a couple lessons there learned.

DC i'll post a link to a sweet little civil aircraft that i'm thinking of getting and thought you might like to take a look too,i know she isn't the same as your models but she is a beauty.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_PNF_.html