Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best choice for windy conditions?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Best choice for windy conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:32 AM
DCSouthwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best choice for windy conditions?

I live in Dodge City Kansas which has the highest annual average wind speed in the US. Roughly 14mph. Most days seems much higher but thats what the records say. I'm looking for suggestions for a good 4 channel trainer that will be good for such windy conditions. I assume that in my case bigger will be better? I prefer an American made company if possible. I also want a RTF. So what would be your recommendations?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 05:05 AM
cubaneight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best choice for windy conditions?

I understand your problem as here in the UK we're having yet another summer with consistent windy (and wet!) days. My thoughts are to go with a 4 channel, wood construction model of no more than 60" wingspan & with a tricycle undercarriage. The model will need to be well powered and not too light weight (around 6 -7lbs hence foam will not be a good choice) Unfortunately, trainers by their very nature do not take kindly to flying in high winds as their in-built stability and high drag puts them at the mercy of gusts and turbulence - ground handling with a high wing model in a breeze can be a challenge as well, even for experienced pilots.
Training in windy conditions is always going to be a problem, I'm guessing that you'll have somebody to help you with a buddy-box, if not and you'll be trying it alone, then chances of success are minimal. If you are going to be buddied to an instructor, then consider a low wing sports model such as the SIG 4 Star 40 with a good 46 or 53 motor. Although a bit more challenging to fly at first, if correctly setup and trimmed for a beginner by someone experienced, then it'll handle windy conditions much better than a conventional high wing trainer - buddy box only though at first!

Hope this helps

C8
Old 08-10-2012, 12:06 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Best choice for windy conditions?

A model of a DHC2 Beaver, E-Flite EFL4525 with a Power 32 motor might work!
The long thin wing has good penetration, and the flying qualities are quite good.
When balanced very slightly nose heavy, it's quite stable, and a pleasure for a newbe to fly.