Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

EDF for Klingberg Wing 78

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EDF for Klingberg Wing 78

I just bought a Klingberg 78" flying wing (kit ) and am looking for advise for converting to EDF. I'm open to suggestions. I have even given thought to gutting a F27Q Stryker and going that route but the EDF would look slick on a flying wing. A simple 3S setup like the F27Q would be nice and simple but you have a prop hanging out the back.

I know most EDF's take 6S but I would like to keep it light. I would be happy with a 1:1 power ( lbs. thrust ) to weight ratio for starters.

Would a 70mm unit do the job? I would probably use two 3S packs in series so I could lay them flat in the airfoil of the wing.

I would also like suggestions on setting up the proper thrust line for an EDF in relation to the height of the unit and the CL of the wing. I know that as the location of the EDF rises above the CL of the wing upthrust needs to be added to the EDF unit but how do you calculate this?

SPEEDY GONZALES
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21282.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1783610  
Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: EDF for Klingberg Wing 78

Calculate the thrustline to intersect at the CG.

Have fun building the Klingberg. Setting the correct twist in the wing is thought provoking. I used 1/4" balsa instead of the recommend cardboard pattern.

If you don't have the "mk II" kit, I would recommend putting the top drag rudders on your kit. Otherwise, it flies pretty squirrelly if you get too slow.

Don
Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

It is the MK II kit with the wing tiplets or tip rudders. I have not received the kit yet but the box says there is directions for adding a "power pod" so maybe I can look at the thrustlines for that setup and het some idea of where I'm heading. I do not understand what you meanby having the 'thrust line intersect the CG. I'm talking positive "up thrust" for the centerline of the EDF unit in relation to the CL or incidence of the wing.

I have previous experience ( 45 years ) in building, designing, and flying just about everything. I have been looking at many EDF units but for simplicity I have my eye on the E-Flite Delta V15 70mm unit and 60 amp ESC but looks a bit heavy. Maybe a CC 60A ESC would save me some weight and a far superior ESC.

I'm on my way over to the EJF website right now for a look at what they have.

Revver Bro #182

Speedy gonzales
Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

EJF has a nice power unit for 3S. Fan,motor, and esc, for $140

http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=449

or maybe go with this 4S unit instead?

http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=660

Speedy G
Old 07-21-2012, 04:20 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

It is the MK II kit with the wing tiplets or tip rudders. I have not received the kit yet but the box says there is directions for adding a ''power pod'' so maybe I can look at the thrustlines for that setup and het some idea of where I'm heading. I do not understand what you meanby having the 'thrust line intersect the CG. I'm talking positive ''up thrust'' for the centerline of the EDF unit in relation to the CL or incidence of the wing.

I have previous experience ( 45 years ) in building, designing, and flying just about everything. I have been looking at many EDF units but for simplicity I have my eye on the E-Flite Delta V15 70mm unit and 60 amp ESC but looks a bit heavy. Maybe a CC 60A ESC would save me some weight and a far superior ESC.

I'm on my way over to the EJF website right now for a look at what they have.

Revver Bro #182

Speedy gonzales
Intersect the CG: I mean if you mount the motor in the back, you will be adding upthrust so if you drew an imaginary line through the axis of thrust and extended it out the front, then you add enough tilt (upthrust) so that line goes through the CG point. It'll be like 5 or 10 degrees. Obviously, if you mount the fan on top of the CG, that makes my point moot.

The kit power pod slides on the back of the trailing edge and if I remember correctly, the instructions mention CG/thrust line setup.

Enjoy the Klingberg...you will definitely be flying something nobody else will have. I have the glider version built and has been flown, I have the mk II still in the box and I have the .20 size power version also new in box.

Don
Old 07-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

My plans for the EDF unit will be on top the wing. If underslung it will be an obsrtuction when landing and should I decide to use a bungee, takeoffs will be a cinch with fan on top.

I have decided on the HET 4s setup from EJF. I bought a complete 90mm Super Sniper from them and it was a hoot on 6S.

SPEEDY G
Old 07-27-2012, 04:41 AM
startazz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speedy i used that very same motor in my Durafly Vampire and a 10 bladed fan unit which work out a lot better than i had hoped mate,the sound of the 10 bladed fan unit is a lot better than anything else i've herd and man it has a sweet whoosh sound that i can't get enough of,plus you can also get a 12 bladed unit but thats for a bigger fan shroud more for a 90mm set-up or higher.
Do a youtube search and i bet you will like the sound and the speed you get with the right set-up,just a thought mate.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s..._Fan_Unit.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s..._Fan_Unit.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...tem_Parts.html
Old 07-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Now that I have the kit the plans are showing a COX .049 on the power pod. I am wondering if a 70mm EDF will bee too much.

What exactly did you have for your components for your EDF setup? What motor,ESC, and battery did you run?

I have never seen a 10 blade rotor in the smaller EDF units. They look very impressive and I am one of the few that has had pretty good luck with HK stuff.

I may have go with a fully sheeted wing and stressed with some CF for some speed manuvers.

SPEEDY G