Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Gentle Lady Motor and Bat

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 06:32 PM
cj22009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gentle Lady Motor and Bat

Hey guy's im building a gentle lady and im going to put electris in it what do you guys recomend
Old 01-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some stuff on mine:
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/eGLcg2.htm
Currently it's carrying a Pencam for aerial photos..
Old 01-06-2003, 01:19 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Look at the threads regarding the Goldberg Electra. Its essentially a Gentle Lady which is INTENDED for electric power.

You have to be careful putting an electric drive in the Gentle Lady... the wing isn't made for the weight. (don't tell me about High-start putting "more load" on it... I've built 9 or 10 Gentle Lady's and 3 Electra's.)

The correct reinforcement for the Gentle Lady wing will have it essentially converted into an Electra wing... If you don't reinforce the wing, don't try a loop. (it'll rain balsa)
Old 01-06-2003, 01:27 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having acutally built Electras and Gentle Ladys, the wings on both can be structurally enhanced. All the Electra wings exhibited classic buckling in compression on the leading edge sheeting. When I built the GL, I added the mod I'd developed for the Electra, and the wing has served satisfactorially for 10 or years.
Here's what to do:
Add 1/16" sheet balsa shear webs between each rib from the rear of the spar to the sheeting at each rib bay. The image shows how.
And don't load the thing up with a huge battery load. It's a GLIDER, not an aerobat.
An 8x600 pack is more than enough power to give several climbs per fligh.
It's more enjoyable milking all the flight time possible out of the plane exploiting thermals than brute force zooming hither and yon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ElectraGLshearwebs01.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	48  
Old 01-06-2003, 02:41 PM
FHHuber
Banned

1000 mah NiMh's... less weight than the 600 mah NiCds. (don't need to widen the Gentle Lady to fit this... as you would with a standard R/C car NiCd pack...)

Drop the RX pack and use a BEC speed control (another couple ounces saved.

Use HS-81 or equiv servos (PLENTY of power for the glider.... could almost get along using HS-55's.) Droppng another 2 oz vs the "standard" servos.At that point... add the Master Airscrew 3.5:1 gear drive "speed 500" system with the 12X8 folding prop.

The result will be halfway between the list weight for the Electra (using the separate battery for RX, as per plans) and the Gentle Lady (as a pure glider) Paul's simplified Gentle Lady reinforcement will probably be adequate at the reduced weight (compared to the Electra.) But I'd still consider adding one length of kevlar thread from wingtip to wingtip CA'd on the bottom of the lower spar. (adds LOTS of tensile strength to the lower spar) a 50 ft "bobbin" of the kevlar thread is only a couple of $$. (used for pull-pull control systems)

BTW... If you go to a pull-pull rudder you save weight vs using the stock pushrod setup.... less nose ballast needed.. significant saving of weight when you add it up.

(and we can keep going with ways to keep it light and strong....)