Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

PZ Corsair - Hot Battery after Motor Upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

PZ Corsair - Hot Battery after Motor Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM
kwbrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PZ Corsair - Hot Battery after Motor Upgrade

I have the original ParkZone F4U Corsair. The original ParkZone motor (480 Outrunner Brushless 960Kv) recently locked up. Rather than replace it with the same motor, I installed an E-flite Park 480 Brushless Outrunner 1020Kv. I retained the original ParkZone 30 amp ESC and the stock 9.5x7.5 prop. I am using 15c - 25c 11.1v 2200mAh li-po batteries. The plane is noticeably peppier, but my battery is super hot after flying! My flight time is also shorter. Anyone else running this setup? What am I doing wrong? What changes do I need to make? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PZ Corsair - Hot Battery after Motor Upgrade

Well, the only thing you are "doing wrong" is overtaxxing the battery probably due to a slightly higher kv and thus higher rpm and thus current. If the motor and esc are ok then perhaps just a battery change will make it "fly"

I'd sure like to see you try a new haiyin pack http://www.haiyinstore.com/products_...190+&PID=191+#
Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: PZ Corsair - Hot Battery after Motor Upgrade

ORIGINAL: kwbrown

I have the original ParkZone F4U Corsair. The original ParkZone motor (480 Outrunner Brushless 960Kv) recently locked up. Rather than replace it with the same motor, I installed an E-flite Park 480 Brushless Outrunner 1020Kv. I retained the original ParkZone 30 amp ESC and the stock 9.5x7.5 prop. I am using 15c - 25c 11.1v 2200mAh li-po batteries. The plane is noticeably peppier, but my battery is super hot after flying! My flight time is also shorter. Anyone else running this setup? What am I doing wrong? What changes do I need to make? Thanks for any help.
You are obviously drawing more current than the battery likes. Given the KV difference, I'd suggest a less aggressive pitch and/or slightly smaller prop.
There also may be a way to increase airflow around the battery. A month or so ago, we maiden ed an Advance 25e with a power 32 motor. Both the battery and the speed control
were quite warm. A week later, after adding an intake air scoop and a bottom exhaust cutout, the second flight battery and ESC temps were almost ambient.

Consider using the web based E-Calc program to help show the probable current draw with different propellers, etc.