Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Orange RX Receiver

We have about 15 of the orange rx's in our club flying combat with no problems
    Cub Brotherhood #181

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

Could you please be more specific ? Whats to set up ? It's in the plane with the antenna sticking up, visible thru the windshield. It should work fine I would think. If it's good for 1.4 mile, it will be more than ok for me, and I think it will do that ok, if it's worth a darn. It flew great with the Flysky 6 channel rec, but I put that rec in my 1/4 scale EAA Biplane. I like the Flysky receivers. The TH9X transmitter is awesome too for the price. Dennis
    Nothing to really setup on your DSM2 type. The OrangeRX receiver he was talking about is the Futaba compatible one which has both the 7 channel and 8 channel modes that you select by pressing the push button and holding for 4 seconds or so. It has two antennas on it.

The DSM2 receiver you have has one antenna but it also has a port for a remote receiver also. Even the newer 710 and 910 models have only one antenna but they are longer than the one on the 6 channel receiver.

I have a bunch of the 6 channel receivers, two 7 channel receivers and one of the 9 channel receivers. I also have four of the Futaba FASST compatible 8 channel receivers. Of all of them, I only use the 6 channel DSM2 receivers on parkflyer type models but a bunch of guys locally use them in helis and quads all the time. All the other receivers I use in glow and electric models without fail. I found they bind flawlessly, better in fact than my AR7000, and stay locked in quite well.

As for the order of the servos on the receiver, the DSM2 types follow the JR/Spektrum order of Throttle, Aileron, Elevator, Rudder, Gear and Aux1. The order you mention is that of the Futaba/Hitec type receivers where it's Aileron, Elevator, Throttle and Rudder followed by the extra channel where 5 is flaps, 6 is aux1, 7 is gear and 8 is Aux2. It only makes sense that the DSM2 type follows the JR/Spektrum arrangement and the FASST Futaba type follows the Futaba arrangement.
    J F Sohm - AMA# 192350 - IMAA# 15145
    If you're not catching any flak, you're not over the target.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you using them without the extra satalite receivers ? Do you think their good for 1/4 mile without the extra receiver unit ?
    I probably fly within 1/8 mile, just guessing though. Dennis
    Have you hugged your RC Planes today ?

I am flying them on several airplanes including a 60 size corsair with no problems-cannot beat the price.
    \"IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY AIRPLANES -FLY BOLDLY AND REDUCE YOUR NUMBER\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

I am flying them on several airplanes including a 60 size corsair with no problems-cannot beat the price.
    Thats for sure. I think I paid about 10 bucks shipped for mine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John's right. On the FASST compatible receiver it has "slow" or "high speed" settings depending on whether or not you're using analog or digital servos. I recently was setting up a new 40 size plane with analog servos and tore my hair out trying to figure out why I was having so much trouble with chattering and poor centering. A trip back to their website led to a "a hah!" moment for this olde farte. I'd forgotten all about it.

Performance is equal to to the Futaba 617fs as near I can tell.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello I need help. I can't find a way to start a new question so maybe someone will check out the orange receivers and see what I am posting. I am not new to flying. I currently have a hangar full of nitro planes , but I am new to the electric world. Actually I am lost in the electric world. I recently bought a electric plane from hobbyking. It is a pnp model that came with the motor and esc but no battery or receiver. I bought 2  4s 2650 mil amp battery's as that was what was recommended for the plane. I have a new frsky 2.4 receiver and transmitter for it. I also have a battery cycler and charger for it. I know it is a 14.8 volt system and from what I have read on rc universe  the wire coming from the esc powers the receiver and servos or I think it does as it has a futaba plug on it. Okay here comes the questions. Do you run a on off switch between the esc and the receiver ?  I see that the new charger cycler has different settings as far as charging and discharging. Do you cycle the lipoprotein first before use or just charge and go. What is a safe rate to charge and discharge the lipo? I read on here all the time about fires on them and I don't want that. The charger I have will charge at a low rate .25 amp all the way up to 2 amps. What is safe and good for the battery pack? Please help !!  Thanx
    Cop pulled me over, he said "you drinking" I said "You buying" ? We just laughed.... Need bail money. Glow Head Brotherhood # 22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 757jonp

John's right. On the FASST compatible receiver it has ''slow'' or ''high speed'' settings depending on whether or not you're using analog or digital servos. I recently was setting up a new 40 size plane with analog servos and tore my hair out trying to figure out why I was having so much trouble with chattering and poor centering. A trip back to their website led to a ''a hah!'' moment for this olde farte. I'd forgotten all about it.

Performance is equal to to the Futaba 617fs as near I can tell.
    I just finished a 40 size also, a Carl Goldberg Tiger 40 ARF electric from yesteryear. It had a brushed motor and gear drive, and I tore that out, built a firewall and made it brushless. Just finished it tonight. It's supposed to be nice friday thru sunday, so im planning on flying the hell out of it. It was old misplaced stock that got found and then given to me. I found the manual online, and it was real tail heavy. It took 1 3/4 ounces to make it balance out. It's going to share my Piper Cubs eight 1300ma 3S Lipo's. I put a Flysky 6 ch rec in it. Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: oil_can_harry

Hello I need help. I can't find a way to start a new question so maybe someone will check out the orange receivers and see what I am posting. I am not new to flying. I currently have a hangar full of nitro planes , but I am new to the electric world. Actually I am lost in the electric world. I recently bought a electric plane from hobbyking. It is a pnp model that came with the motor and esc but no battery or receiver. I bought 2 *4s 2650 mil amp battery's as that was what was recommended for the plane. I have a new frsky 2.4 receiver and transmitter for it. I also have a battery cycler and charger for it. I know it is a 14.8 volt system and from what I have read on rc universe *the wire coming from the esc powers the receiver and servos or I think it does as it has a futaba plug on it. Okay here comes the questions. Do you run a on off switch between the esc and the receiver ? *I see that the new charger cycler has different settings as far as charging and discharging. Do you cycle the lipoprotein first before use or just charge and go. What is a safe rate to charge and discharge the lipo? I read on here all the time about fires on them and I don't want that. The charger I have will charge at a low rate .25 amp all the way up to 2 amps. What is safe and good for the battery pack? Please help !! *Thanx
    The ESC drops the voltage to the rec down to about 6 volts im told. That futaba plug from the ESC goes to the throttle port of the receiver.
    You can very safely charge those 2650ma batterys at 2 amps, thats under 1C, so that should be totally safe. I never cycle my Lipo's before use, but balance charging ocassionally is good for them. I always charge my Lipo's at 1C, ie: charge a 1300ma batt at 1300ma, etc...
    No, you do not want to install a switch on these electric planes and heli's. Just turn on the tx, then plug in the planes battery and fly. I didn't like that at first, but it will gorw on you too. Dennis

ORIGINAL: oil_can_harry

... I bought 2 *4s 2650 mil amp battery's as that was what was recommended for the plane. I have a new frsky 2.4 receiver and transmitter for it. I also have a battery cycler and charger for it. I know it is a 14.8 volt system and from what I have read on rc universe *the wire coming from the esc powers the receiver and servos or I think it does as it has a futaba plug on it. Okay here comes the questions. Do you run a on off switch between the esc and the receiver ? *I see that the new charger cycler has different settings as far as charging and discharging. Do you cycle the lipoprotein first before use or just charge and go What is a safe rate to charge and discharge the lipo? I read on here all the time about fires on them and I don't want that. The charger I have will charge at a low rate .25 amp all the way up to 2 amps. What is safe and good for the battery pack? Please help !! *Thanx
    Question 1) As mentioned above, no, you don't need to install the switch. However, there are kits that supply a safety "plug" (basically a Dean's connector with a receptacle that gets installed in the ESC's positive (red) line) and it is like a safety so when you install the battery, it doesn't go off on you. You can mount the receptacle in a safer location.

Question 2A) Lipo's, as far as I'm aware, don't develop a "memory" as the older NiCd packs used to so cycling really doesn't accomplish much. When they are shipped, they usually have about 1/3 capacity on them and you don't want them to drop to zero. If you are going to store them for a longer period, you're wise to do as the manufacturers do and leave them at 1/3 charge capacity.

Question 2B) Safe charge rate for standard packs is usually 1C. C being equal to the capacity of the pack. So your 2,650 mah packs can be safely charged at 2.65 amps. As for discharge rate, that depends on the pack's construction and is recommended by the manufacturer. If the pack is a 20C/30C, it means the pack can be discharged at a constant rate of 20C (20 x 2.65amps = 53 amps). The 30C references a max current and can range from 15 seconds to a minute or more, again determined by the manufacturer. So in this case, you can draw 79.5 amps for several seconds. I suggest you purchase a Watt meter to see what you are actually drawing at various throttle settings. This changes with the prop size, cell count (you have 4s packs, 3s will draw more current to make up for lower voltage). Just a note, some lipos can be safely charged at higher rates. Hyperion offers some packs that can be charged at up to 6C, this equates to a 10 minute charge if the 1C rate took an hour. You do need a charger that can handle the additional wattage though.

Question 3) As for what is safe and good for the battery pack? Keep them cool, don't let them overheat. Don't charge them unattended. Charge them in a safe container. Examine them for puffing, especially after a crash. If the puffing is severe, follow safe disposal procedures. Store them in a non-flammable container. I have a layer of 4 inch thick concrete blocks with hollow concrete blocks resting on them and another layer of 4 inch blocks on top. Totally flame proof if one goes up. Some guys even put a bag of sand on top of the lipos. If the lipo lights off, the bag melts and the sand extinguishes the flame. Some guys use metal ammo cans to store the lipos in. I like the blocks myself.

That's about all I can think of except there are a lot of websites out there that can explain this stuff way better than I can. TME has a whole section on lipos and I believe Hyperion does also. I would check those out. Brushless motors and lipo batteries have really opened up the world of electric flying but there are precautions that need to be taken. Hope this helps.
    J F Sohm - AMA# 192350 - IMAA# 15145
    If you're not catching any flak, you're not over the target.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What he said... and... never discharge a Lipo battery below 3.2 volts per cell, and never charge them above 4.2 volts per cell. So if you have a 3S 11.1v Lipo, don't discharge below 9.6v, or charge above 12.6. Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the help. These are zippy 4s packs rated at 1650 mil amps. I don't know about my charger if it will automatically shut down once they are completely charged or not. I have a ni cad cycler and it will show you how many mil amps are in the pack after you cycle and recharge it . I think I might have just stayed with nitro planes ... Seems much simpler, charge fuel and fly lol. Went flying today and was putting a maiden flight on a sky raider Mach 2. With a 52 magnum xl swinging a 11-6 prop. After takeoff and a few trim clicks is was a sky raider on steroids and doing excellent until the motor sputtered a little and after a slow low pass, realized the muffler had come loose after burning out the gasket. So I made a nice slow turn and greased in a perfect landing...... Until both front wheels came off at the same and it slid on the wire gear about 4 inches and stopped while the front wheels were still rolling away. I have lost wheels before but never lost both front wheels at the same time. Just chalked it up to a good day of flying and went home.
    Cop pulled me over, he said "you drinking" I said "You buying" ? We just laughed.... Need bail money. Glow Head Brotherhood # 22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You need to get a good charger. Look on ebay for "Lipo Battery Charger". You can get a Hobby King Accucycle B6 for under 30 bucks shipped. It operates on 12 volts, and charges everything. Comes with a fistfull of charge cords too. I have a Triton now, and it was like $139.00 from Tower Hobby's maybe 10 years ago, and charges everything, but the B6 is a balance charger also, and my old Triton is not. I know a few guys who have them and they work great. Im going to buy one in a few days myself. I need 2 chargers now. Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been using one in a Midwest Super Stinker with a Moki 1.80 and no problems....................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been using the 6 channel orange receiver DSM with the short antenna no extension. I have used these receivers with both the Spektrum 6DXI and DX7 and so far no problems. I have them in the following glow engine planes. Goldberg Tiger 11, Tiger 60, Pulse 60, Seagull Skywalker 40, and a Tower Hobbies Razor. Before I used them I gave them a range test. They have been as solid as my Spektrum receivers and my Hitec 2.4 receivers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, it sounds like lots of people are having good luck with the Orange RX. The final test for me will be tomorrow.
    By the way, how much are thre extra receivers to plug into the side of these ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The satellites cost more than the receivers. However, if you are flying a larger plane, they are well worth the price. Now, they do not increase the range but do eliminate most of the shadowing problems and polarization problems as long as you keep the two antennas at 90 degrees to one another. The Orange receiver is a full range (whatever that term means) receiver just as the Spectrum, Airtronics and Futaba are.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, I won't worry about the satalite receiver, and try it this way. It will probably be fine. For larger planes I will stick to the Flysky receivers.
    I like my TH9X more than the DX6i anyway, since I installed a Lipo in it. With the battery holder, we had a connection failure while taxying thank gawd. The tx and the plane both just shut off, whew ! The plane had just landed, yikes ! Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can't speak on the Spektrum compatible orange receivers but on the FASST compatible units you must set them for digital or analog servos. Digital servos will work on either setting but analogs will jitter or even burn out if used on the digital receiver setting. You must also disable the fail safe on the transmitter or the throttle servo will jitter. Once these things are all set up they work great. I'm using them in most all my 2.4 stuff. The -s ones will convert the standard 8 channel units to channels 9-14, you can then use two 30 dollar receivers to get a 14 channel setup. Much cheaper than the real Futaba receivers and completely reliable in my experience. I'm flying up to 50cc size planes with them.
    Big Phil
    AMA 6762

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got back from flying. The Orange RX receiver in the Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub worked fine. I think i'll stick to the Flysky receivers for future planes though. I perfer the TH9X over the DX6i. I really only got the DX6i to fly the little BNF's anyway.
    As I said, the Orange RX worked fine, but for some reason the light on the receiver keeps blinking. Is that normal ? I thought they only blinked until they were bound to the tx. Mine blinks all the time. Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I purchased 3 of the Orange FASST receivers from Hobby King. All the second generation...plastic case, but servo plugs would not fit the opening. I modified the case to accept the plugs, then mounted one in a .40 size Cap 232, and it seemed to work OK. I installed the second one in a UltraSport .40, and it totally failed the range test...total loss of control beyond 50 yards. The third one will not hold its binding to my transmitter...if I turn the Rx off, then on again, it requires re-binding.

In the end I decided it wasn't worth risking my planes or a potential accident, so I tossed all 3 in the garbage. All well and good to try out some of these bargain priced alternatives, but be prepared to admit when something just isn't trustworthy and cut your losses before tragedy strikes!
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #76
    Tiger Club #46

Pilots...beating gravity at its own game since 1903

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That doesn't sound very good. I guess you won't be buying any more of them either. We actually forgot to range test the Cub today. Just took off and trimmed it. OOPS ! Anyway, mine seems to work ok, but im a bit concerned about that constant blinking I noticed after the last flight earlier tonight. I'll go look for a manual online, and see what I can find out about that receiver light. Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just fired up the cub/orange rx 6 ch, and the light was solid. I was going to rebind, but i'll wait and see if it does the blinking thing again tomorrow. I never noticed any loss of control. I even restarted, and it still blinked, but everything appeared to be working normally.
    Maybe it fixed itself. Hmmm...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I flew the Orange RX / Cub tonight for probably an hour total, and the light was always steady. It must be ok now. Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flew the Cub / Orange RX earlier today, maybe 8 packs, and it performed perfectly, and always had a steady light. I can't say anything bad about the Orange Rx so far. Thanks again to the person who told me the ESC drops the voltage to the receiver. I learn something new every day about this electric stuff. So far im really liking it. Dennis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast