Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Orange RX Receiver

Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Chucksolo69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Orange RX Receiver

I think I had my first brown out on the Orange RX yesterday. I was flying my Tower Hobbies F4U Corsair when the plane stopped responding momentarily as I tried to turn her into the wind for a landing. It recovered quickly, but it was a bit disconcerting.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Probably not a brown-out; more likely a temporary loss of signal. Did the plane go into "fail safe mode"? If so it was a loss of signal, not a brown out.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM
freeonthree

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Probably just the wind, and not enough forward speed maybe. Dennis
Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Chucksolo69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, it was blowing about 15-16 mph there at the time. I have my aileron throw set to 60% D/R and 25% expo. I have since incresed it to 80% D/R with no expo. I hope that helps.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 PM
freeonthree

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats alot of wind for a light plane. I bet the receiver is ok. The same thing happened to me the other night. I was just going too slow. I nailed the throttle and control came back. Dennis
Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Chucksolo69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, that sounds about right. I keep forgetting to keep the speed up on this, after all it is a warbird. She will fly really slowly though. Helps on landings.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 PM
freeonthree

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's an update on my Orange RX 6 channel receiver. It;s been working great, no issues so far. I don't log my flights, but I bet I have between 50 and 100 flights on it now. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one when needed for another small plane. Dennis
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 AM
DaveHickey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Freeonthree;

Ihave several of the OrangeRx's, all work fine.

Two things to remember though, If your (Spektrum compatible)reciever powers down (like changing out an exhausted battery in your plane) without shutting off yourTX, yourTX sees it as a power interruption to thereciever and when the RX comes back it will slow blink but work correctly. Remember 2.4ghzradio systems talk BOTHWAYS unlike our older non-computer and 72mhz computer radios.The slow blink is not bind mode, that is fast blink.

When I change airplane batts I remove theold batt, shut off the TX (even if Iam going to fly qagain right away), then place the batteryon the charger.When Iam going to fly again I check that all my (Spektrum) transmitter switches are at "0" and (all TX) the throttle is at low, THEN plug in the new flight battery.

Second, 2.4 ghz is strictly line of sight through non-conductive materials. Thats why so many of the recievers have two, separable antennas and listen to both. If you have your antenna(s) carelessly/improperly placed such that your motor, battery, servos, foil or carbon fiber sheeting come between your TX and RXantennas, you will lose communication and therefor control through no fault or defect in your radio.

Place your RX antennas 90 degrees to each other (antennas are deaf off the tip and much more sensative to a signal coming in from 90 degrees away.) Place them so that at no time do conductive objects (metal or carbon fiber cloth) shield (block)both antennas at once. Also, if you think you are getting a brown out (especially on final), move your transmitter location and/or orientation so thatit's antenna faces your airplane at 90 degrees not pointing at it. Ifyour airplane is coming at you move so that you cansee where the RX antenna is so it is not hiding behind somthing metal or carbon fibercloth.

Do this and suddenly you will find your radios are much more reliable, no matter how in/expensivethey are.

D.H.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
freeonthree

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I caught mine blinking a few times. I must have forgot to turn the tx off. Now I know what the blinking means, thanks ! I always intend to turn the tx off, but im only human. lol
I can see the light in the window, and I usually wait for the light and the beep, usually. Dennis
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Thomas B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some folks love to put down the Orange RXs. I have around 35 of them in all sorts of small to medium/park size electric models.

One failure due to a bad BEC built into the ESC. One other glitch that looked like a power brown out that came back within 1-2 sec. Literally thousands of flights with no issues. Just as reliable as my name brand Spektrum stuff. No failures due to the RX. No orange units dead on arrival. 100% of the ones I bought are working.

Remembers loss of signal is not a brown out. Loss of rx power is a brown out...just like when the power company gets overloaded in a city.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:47 PM
freeonthree

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been having good luck with them also. Just put one in a little Carl Goldberg Pitts, and the one in the Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub is still working great. No glitches as of yet. Dennis
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM
countilaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They work fine until they fail. They are great for park flyers, but I wouldn't trust one in a plane that cost several hundred dollars. You always get what you pay for. They are cheap for only one reason, they are cheaply made.

Frank
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Turbobearcat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have them in 4 aircraft at this moment

Orange 610 and 410's

I have never had an issue or loss of signal but I trust them in my Phase 3 U2's and my Nicesky XB-70

My HK Stuka is the other plane...

The 410 cost more than the 610 but it's more for Micros or space/weight concerned planes.

If anybody wants to toss theirs- then toss them to me! :-)

Mark

Search this Thread