Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Aerobird motor

Old 09-12-2003, 01:13 PM
tevans57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird motor

Hello, has anyone had an issue with the Aerobird motor shutting off/on/off/on during flights. Mine has developed this problem once in the air. I have tried several battery packs and I looked at all the connections and they seem to be fine. Could this just mean the motor is nearing its end of life?

If the motor is going bad does anyone have a suggestion on what type of motor might make a suitable replacement? I spoke with a Hobbyzone tech and he could not confirm that the motor was the issue or what type of motor would make a suitable replacement. His suggestion was to buy a new fuselage.

Also I have several other friends flying on different channels and they do not experience any issues with there motor.

Thanks for any advice

Thomas
Old 09-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Resident Hazard

Default RE: Aerobird motor

Hi tevans57,

My Aerobird CH6 has done the same thing to me. It sputters a bit well while in the air as well, nothing major just a little every now n' then. I thought it was a monetary lose of Tx signal or something like that. Or it might be debris blowing around in the motor case while flying? Or just crud on the motor's commentator?(I think I spelled that right)Those are the only things I can think of at the moment that would cause this effect. As for motor replacement I don't know anything about it, mine's still puttin' along great so I haven't had to look into it, sorry.

There's my $.02cents.[sm=biggrin.gif]

Chad
Old 09-16-2003, 12:10 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

If the motor is starting and stopping repeatedly, you probably have an issue with interference or signal loss. Electronic speed controls will shut the motor off when the signal is lost.

Now, one of the possible causes of this issue is the motor. It could be nearing the end of its useful life, and there could be a lot of sparking going on at the brushes. Sparking causes interference, and it could be bad enough that at longer distances where the radio signal is weaker, you get glitches.

Horizon considers the entire fuselage section to be a throw-away item, just like the wing or tail pieces. These planes were designed for people with little or no mechanical ability, and to be as inexpensive as possible, so they're not particularly serviceable. You can, however, replace the motor with a standard 6V Speed 400, because that's exactly what it is.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:59 PM
tevans57

Thanks for the advice...Hazard and Matt

Tevans