Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

gonna like electric

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:41 PM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gonna like electric

I've been flying glow for over 30 years. I saw the Carl Goldberg Chipmunk EP ARF on the cover of Model Aviation (November 2012 issue). I got to thinking about a little park flier and convinced myself to get it.
Even the assembly is easier with electric. No fuel tanks to plumb and where to put the fill line and vent line hassles. No worries of oil leaking from the muffler in my car during transport, etc. Motor installation is much easier.
Cleaner looking profile without cutting up the cowl.
I had to charge the receiver battery anyway so I can charge and go without that heavy field box.
I can charge two batteries at hone and if needed I can charge the first battery while the second is in the plane flying. I already have a Lipo balance charger (AC/DC).
I'll still fly my glow planes but I can pack this park flier in the car and after work just stop at a field and get a flight in, pack it back in the trunk and home without the extra time of cleaning the plane and worrying about the fuel jug being in the car all day.
uh oh did get hooked even before getting the plane?

Happy flying:
Tom

Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: gonna like electric

Well I had 2 electric planes 5 years ago. I have 2 glow planes today. One is a World Models Super Chipmunk with a 91fs. Ooohhhh how that sounds cruising by. I have a bunch of small foam planes I can toss in the car and fly when and pretty much where I want. I do like the not cleaning up the oil on every plane after a day at the field.

With the low cost of lipo chargers, keep 1 or 2 in the car. Well when they get more in stock.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html

Buzz.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome ot the fun and ease of electric flying.

If you want to try something even simpler, try electric launched gliders.   A 1300 mah battery in my Radian gives me about an hour of flying, if not more.   So much fun!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Amen.!!! I don't understand these guys that are hung up on only glow, or gas, or electric. I love to fly, and I fly them all! They all have their place and all have their pros and cons. I fly my glow engines and big planes at the club field and at home where I have a lot of room and time to deal with the cleanup. I fly my electric's at work, at home, and anywhere else I can steal a few minutes to try out a new flying area! My Parkzone T-28 or my Super Cub is in my car at all times (when it's not 20degrees out) I don't have a Radian yet, but it's on my list, right after a 500 sized electric 3D heli!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Chucksolo69

Well, from my experience with glow and gas RC cars, I chose to go electric for my RC airplanes. I just hate the oily cleanup.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like electric for smaller planes too.

Anyway, for a new electric flier, I'd say be very careful. A little electric can be more dangerous than a fuel plane in some ways.

Make sure the fail safe is set to stop the motor, keep the transmitter away where the throttle can't get bumped, and carry the rx with your thumb holdin the throttle down.

Bump a stick when the plane is on the ground and it can spring to life and cut your calf up, and the first solid prop strike won't stall the engine.

Basically treat those buggers like a loaded gun any time the battery is in, and stay safe and have fun.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

True about safety. It's easier to let your guard down when flying electrics than glow or gas.
Otherwise as stated they have their place and I fly quite a few of them. Getting yourself set-up is the hardest and most costly  part.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:38 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

Getting yourself set-up is the hardest and most costly part.
And learning the nuances of batteries and chargers and ESCs.

Another long-time glow & gas flyer here getting into e-power. I'm starting off with an E-Flite Pulse 25 XT with E-Flite's 32 size power package and 4S 3200 20C batteries. My eventual goal is to assemble a 25% (30cc gas power) Sbach 342 with e-power. Its a gorgeous Pilot kit, I quit flying gasoline, and I cannot bring myself to hack it up for an OS 1.60 installation. I want to get a smaller bird too... looking at the PZ Wildcat, which appears to be a hoot....

Got the Pulse kit about halfway done, now ready to install the power package. Man, there is a lot to take into consideration there, as to the care and feeding of e-power. With any luck, I'll be ready to maiden the Pulse next week-end.